Seatpost advice

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
mickisup

Seatpost advice

Postby mickisup » Mon Oct 08, 2012 20:07 pm

Have bought a 43" bike for one of my kids and its every so slightly too big. The saddle is an inch too high and if I could insert the seatpost right to bottom of the tube it would be perfect, reach and stand-over are fine but they are on tiptoes when on the saddle. Its a carbon stem and hence I am bit worried about cutting it so just wondered whether I have any option or do I have reach for the hacksaw - although slightly worried about cutting carbon and any risks? Does anywhere sell a very short post that would do a job for a few months?

unixnerd

Re: Seatpost advice

Postby unixnerd » Mon Oct 08, 2012 20:23 pm

You get special blades for cutting carbon, but I'll bet a bike shop would do it for a few quid if you're worried.
http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!

mickisup

Postby mickisup » Mon Oct 08, 2012 20:29 pm

Cheers, that was actually what I was thinking, will try the LBS tomorrow and see they will do. Bit worried about cutting through carbon given warnings I have read.

smidsy

Postby smidsy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:24 am

You can cut it with a decent hacksaw (normal blade for cutting metal). You can wrap some tape round to give better purchase for the start.

Best if you can grip it in a vice (carefully ofcourse) for a nice firm base.

You just need to take it slowly when nearing the end and take of the burrs with some wet and dry.
Yellow is the new Black.

nweststeyn

Postby nweststeyn » Tue Oct 09, 2012 13:58 pm

If you are cutting it yourself, I use an old stem to clamp onto the steerer tube (or in your case, post) and use that as a saw guide.

Return to “Workshop”