Rack for commuting - Beam Rack ?

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
andyrr

Rack for commuting - Beam Rack ?

Postby andyrr » Mon Oct 08, 2012 22:13 pm

I'd like to dump the lightweight rucksac I'm currently using to carry my daily commuting stuff (sarnies, phone, innertubes etc) and spied the Pletcsher beam that Decathlon do for only £20 - however, as it has a hefty QR for the seatpost I fear it will rub on my thighs.
So I wonder if the the neater Topeak Beam RX is a better bet or should I go the full hog and get a proper rack that attached to the frame - main commuting bike has mounts for 'guards so I can use these.
I won't carry more than a 6L rucksac can carry which is what I currently use so don't need a massive thing made from girders.

amaferanga

Re: Rack for commuting - Beam Rack ?

Postby amaferanga » Tue Oct 09, 2012 07:20 am

If you can fit a proper rack I'd say go for that. The Tortec Ultralite rack is cheap and light and perfect for what you intend to use it for. Having said that, I used one of the Pletscher racks from Decathlon for commuting for over a year and did LEJOG with it and never had any issues at all (carrying no more than ~8kg). These days I prefer a rucksac as it means I can take any of my bikes to work....
More problems but still living....

andyrr

Postby andyrr » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:34 am

Ay, the rucksac has it's advantages - just sling it on and you're off but aside from sweaty back, I'm suffering, possibly exacerbated by the colder weather, from a sore back so would like to reduce the weight I carry to a minimum.
I guess hitting the rear of your thighs on a beam rack, like the Pletscher, is dependant on a few factors such as where it is positioned which is then affected by the available seatpost. Bike I'm using right now hasn't a much space once the 2 lights I like to run are there but I'm swapping to another which has more seatpost showing which would give more flexibility. The Pletscher seems to have a particularly chunky post attachment whereas the Topeak RX is neater, more like a handlebar stem clamp.
That Ultralite does look pretty decent and migth just fit the bill.

pigeontoes

Postby pigeontoes » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:47 am

I use the Altura Night Vision Post Pack. I don't get rub on the bag, it's got really good relective detail and a point for mounting a light onthe back. It's easy to mount and dismount it and easily big enough to carry everything you mentioned. It is a bit pricey as it's now just over £50.

andyrr

Postby andyrr » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:46 pm

Re that Altura - it is relatively expensive - I see there is a similar one, Arran Expanding Post Pack, which is only £35, but it looks bulkier, not as neat as the vision. I'm now considering these as an alternative to the rack + bag option.

andyrr

Postby andyrr » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:26 am

Also now think the Ortlieb Saddlebag (large) might do the trick - I've handled the Altura Arran but it looked like sticking a shoebox on the back of my seatpost - the Ortlieb at least rolls down to.

janwal

Postby janwal » Thu Oct 11, 2012 18:21 pm

I use the altura seat post one all year round just for general cycling as I don't like weight on my back and sweaty back. Empty it weighs next to nothing. Expands well, side pockets for spare tubes etc. Although I now carry tube etc in a flat topped water bottle type carrier.You get the seat tube clips in 2 different sizes and can extra ones aswell. Never had it leak.And it protects your backside if no mudguard on. Easily fits a jacket, waterfroof, overshoes in all at once when expanded.

Return to “Road Buying Advice”