race wheels

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
jmeadows

race wheels

Postby jmeadows » Mon Oct 08, 2012 13:40 pm

going to have a bash at racing next year, doing the tli ones. what are people racing on? am i looking at fulcrum 1, mavic ksyrium sl, c24 dura ace etc or what? didnt really want to go deep section in case anyone recommends those.
i am 11 stone, handbuilts are an option if anyone can recommend a rim/ hub combo?
cheers
never hurts your eyes to look on the bright side of life...

Grill

Re: race wheels

Postby Grill » Mon Oct 08, 2012 14:27 pm

DA C24 are the way forward.
English Cycles V3 | Scott Plasma 3 TT | BMC TrackMachine TM01 | Ritchey Road Logic | Scott CX Team

DavidJB

Postby DavidJB » Mon Oct 08, 2012 14:59 pm

I raced on fulcrum 1's ... stiff as you like and quite light at 1430ish grams? can't go wrong...switched to mavic cosmics though and sold my fulcrums because I wanted aero and I have crash protection on my mavics!

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Mon Oct 08, 2012 17:11 pm

Don't bother. Racing in cat. 4 is about staying out of trouble and trying to be there when it's time to sprint for the line. Any wheel will get you there, then your guts and legs should do the rest. Fancy wheels will slow you down... you will start worrying about them being damaged in a crash and will miss the opportunity to get ahead of others on the line. Aksium are good for that.

If you really really want something fancy, go for robustness and stiffness rather than low weight... courses are pretty much all flat

mallorcajeff

Postby mallorcajeff » Mon Oct 08, 2012 17:39 pm

dura ace c24 seem to fit the bill and i see more DA stuff on pro bikes than any other makes. Should be some good deals about soon as the' new ones are out next month.

jmeadows

Postby jmeadows » Mon Oct 08, 2012 19:09 pm

cheers guys, good mix of opinions as usual. was thinking r1s, c24 or ksyrium s/sls, so i am on the right lines really.
anymore opinions let me know, otherwise, thank you....
dont really worry about damaging equipment, if i did i wouldnt ride in first place, not worth it if you that worried i think
never hurts your eyes to look on the bright side of life...

Grill

Postby Grill » Mon Oct 08, 2012 22:07 pm

mallorcajeff wrote:dura ace c24 seem to fit the bill and i see more DA stuff on pro bikes than any other makes. Should be some good deals about soon as the' new ones are out next month.

Unlikely as the 7900 is almost all sold out in shops and gone with the distro.
English Cycles V3 | Scott Plasma 3 TT | BMC TrackMachine TM01 | Ritchey Road Logic | Scott CX Team

DavidJB

Postby DavidJB » Tue Oct 09, 2012 05:59 am

ugo.santalucia wrote:Don't bother. Racing in cat. 4 is about staying out of trouble and trying to be there when it's time to sprint for the line. Any wheel will get you there, then your guts and legs should do the rest. Fancy wheels will slow you down... you will start worrying about them being damaged in a crash and will miss the opportunity to get ahead of others on the line. Aksium are good for that.

If you really really want something fancy, go for robustness and stiffness rather than low weight... courses are pretty much all flat

Not true. If you're worried about crashing you shouldn't be in a race.

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Tue Oct 09, 2012 06:05 am

DavidJB wrote:
ugo.santalucia wrote:Don't bother. Racing in cat. 4 is about staying out of trouble and trying to be there when it's time to sprint for the line. Any wheel will get you there, then your guts and legs should do the rest. Fancy wheels will slow you down... you will start worrying about them being damaged in a crash and will miss the opportunity to get ahead of others on the line. Aksium are good for that.

I agree... We are saying the same thing from a different angle.

DavidJB

Postby DavidJB » Tue Oct 09, 2012 07:19 am

ugo.santalucia wrote:
DavidJB wrote:

I agree... We are saying the same thing from a different angle.

All right :)

After crashing 3 times this season the only thing that's broken is me, the bikes been fine!

Return to “Road Buying Advice”