Lance Armstrong gets life ban,loses 7 TDF,confesses he doped

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
frenchfighter

Re: Lance Armstrong accepts lifetime ban,loss of 7 TDF wins

Postby frenchfighter » Mon Oct 08, 2012 16:08 pm

Last edited by frenchfighter on Tue Oct 09, 2012 08:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Contador is the Greatest

Lichtblick

Postby Lichtblick » Mon Oct 08, 2012 16:11 pm

There was an "exclusive" in the Mail at the weekend: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/others ... andal.html

Having read it, apart from ".........has warned that further explosive revelations are about to hit the sport." I can't see anything new in there, let alone "exclusive".

Maybe I missed something?

symo

Postby symo » Mon Oct 08, 2012 16:42 pm

Ah but on road cc he say's his conscience is clear
http://road.cc/content/news/68569-lance ... -sanctions

...but Ashenden said his blood work is not clear by a long shot.

Fabiani says his client hasn't crossed a line; which is political lawyer speak for 'k all.
“no evidence at all,” insisted there was a clear dividing line between those who dope and those who ride clean and that his client had never crossed it

cor so he always doped and never crossed the line to be clean?

Also I like Armstrong changing the question to being about his poor single parent upbringing; which isn't where to go is it eh Lancey boy?
+++++++++++++++++++++
we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.

sherer

Postby sherer » Mon Oct 08, 2012 17:21 pm

the the blood values were that suspect then why didn't the UCI do anything about it at the time ?

No tA Doctor

Postby No tA Doctor » Mon Oct 08, 2012 17:41 pm

sherer wrote:the the blood values were that suspect then why didn't the UCI do anything about it at the time ?

Well to instigate the process you need to have a very high degree of probability that blood values are due to doping. This is picked up but computer analysis. Then a panel of experts is called in to discuss the values and see if they look like a recognised form of doping. Then the rider is called in to explain himself. So the bar is set pretty high for evidence that constitutes proof in its own right.

As evidence of blood doping, backed by other evidence (e.g. witness testimony), then I'd expect the bar to be considerably lower.
“Road racing was over and the UCI had banned my riding positions on the track, so it was like ‘Jings, crivvens, help ma Boab, what do I do now? I know, I’ll go away and be depressed for 10 years’.”

@DrHeadgear

Steve Abraham's attempt at the year record

RichN95

Postby RichN95 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 17:54 pm

sherer wrote:the the blood values were that suspect then why didn't the UCI do anything about it at the time ?

Basically because the level of proof the UCI needs to go to a doping hearing is considerably higher than the level Ashenden needs to go the media.
Last edited by RichN95 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 17:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twitter: @RichN95

The Cyclist of Catan

Postby The Cyclist of Catan » Mon Oct 08, 2012 17:55 pm

"My conscience is clear" is a very long way from "I didn't do it", and quite close to saying "Everyone else was at it too."
They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Mon Oct 08, 2012 18:04 pm

As Hamilton has said, Armstrong convinced himself long ago that he did nothing wrong, he didnt cheat, he 'did what everyone else was doing, only better'. If he took a lie detector test, you just know he'd pass it because of this inate (and inane) belief
Last edited by Richmond Racer on Mon Oct 08, 2012 18:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jawooga

Postby jawooga » Mon Oct 08, 2012 18:21 pm

Enjoyed this from one of the comments:

Also, if the extent of Fabiani's arguments for the defence really amount to "your evidence is not actually evidence, it's just some scientist writing stuff about blood" one can rather see why they didn't bother going to arbitration.

Mikey23

Postby Mikey23 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 19:51 pm

The poor guy's in complete denial. I feel a little sorry for him

Blazing Saddles

Postby Blazing Saddles » Mon Oct 08, 2012 19:56 pm

RichN95 wrote:

Basically because the level of proof the UCI needs to go to a doping hearing is considerably higher than the level Ashenden needs to go the media.

Given that we don't have the actual numbers and given how the UCI have allegedly protected Armstrong during his career, we cannot assume that this is the case.

Lest we forget, the UCI waved the mandatory passport period, in order to allow Armstrong compete, when he should have been ineligible.

Meanwhile, Fabiani seems to be clueless as to how the passport functions.
His media statements continue to miss the target.
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

RichN95

Postby RichN95 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 20:08 pm

Blazing Saddles wrote:
RichN95 wrote:

Given that we don't have the actual numbers and given how the UCI have allegedly protected Armstrong during his career, we cannot assume that this is the case.

Lest we forget, the UCI waved the mandatory passport period, in order to allow Armstrong compete, when he should have been ineligible.

Meanwhile, Fabiani seems to be clueless as to how the passport functions.
His media statements continue to miss the target.

And on the other hand, Ashenden is very fond of going to the media with every suspicion he has with little regard for due process.
Twitter: @RichN95

Blazing Saddles

Postby Blazing Saddles » Mon Oct 08, 2012 20:21 pm

Agreed.
He should at least have waited until the USADA's report had been passed on and
the UCI responded.
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Dave_1

Postby Dave_1 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 02:22 am

Nyvelocity, Race Radio, Diggerforum, Chade Ogray, Mike Anderson, and how many other prominent online activists would you say form the sue Lance to bankruptcy or even get Lance in jail campaigns that still rage online, on twitter and elsewhere?

No tA Doctor

Postby No tA Doctor » Tue Oct 09, 2012 05:59 am

Dave_1 wrote:Nyvelocity, Race Radio, Diggerforum, Chade Ogray, Mike Anderson, and how many other prominent online activists would you say form the sue Lance to bankruptcy or even get Lance in jail campaigns that still rage online, on twitter and elsewhere?

Chade O'Gray is Landis' fictional lawyer, Mike Anderson has himself been in court with Lance...
“Road racing was over and the UCI had banned my riding positions on the track, so it was like ‘Jings, crivvens, help ma Boab, what do I do now? I know, I’ll go away and be depressed for 10 years’.”

@DrHeadgear

Steve Abraham's attempt at the year record

Dave_1

Postby Dave_1 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 06:25 am

No tA Doctor wrote:
Dave_1 wrote:Nyvelocity, Race Radio, Diggerforum, Chade Ogray, Mike Anderson, and how many other prominent online activists would you say form the sue Lance to bankruptcy or even get Lance in jail campaigns that still rage online, on twitter and elsewhere?

Chade O'Gray is Landis' fictional lawyer, Mike Anderson has himself been in court with Lance...

I remember Mike Anderson's case. I noticed at @vaughters completely rejects chade o gray now as Landis informed JV chade o gray is not operated by Landis. Just trying to add up how many people are there, aposting comment and googling Lance Armstrong news every hour :D . I am guessing they aren't run off their feet at work or got done in by LA at some point.

iainf72

Postby iainf72 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 07:19 am

There could be many reasons for this. Ashenden and Robin P might have flagged up Lance's numbers in the passport, but a 3'rd expert might not have. In which case there would be no case put forward.

They might have put a case forward and it wasn't followed up by the UCI, for whatever reason. I'd imagine the cost of a passport case against Armstrong would've been astronomical and the lawyers might have been nervous to proceed with something that would cost so much.

The funny thing in this whole episode is Robin P vs Dr Ferrari. You can almost imagine Ferrari hitting the keyboard really hard as he types. But it does give an indication of how the science can be used.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

edhornby

Postby edhornby » Tue Oct 09, 2012 07:49 am

Iain, can you point me to the Robin P conversations please? not seen it before, cheers
"I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
--Jens Voight

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Tue Oct 09, 2012 08:16 am

Dave_1 wrote:
No tA Doctor wrote:

I remember Mike Anderson's case. I noticed at @vaughters completely rejects chade o gray now as Landis informed JV chade o gray is not operated by Landis. Just trying to add up how many people are there, aposting comment and googling Lance Armstrong news every hour :D . I am guessing they aren't run off their feet at work or got done in by LA at some point.

I'd add UCI_Overlord, Festina Girl, fmk_rol

Return to “Pro Race”