anyone use High5 Zero Electrolyte Tablet in a camelbak?

Got a general MTB question that doesn't fit anywhere else? Here's the place.
User avatar
njee20
Posts: 9490
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 20:06 pm

Re: anyone use High5 Zero Electrolyte Tablet in a camelbak?

Postby njee20 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 09:21 am

^^^^ This + High5 covered potatoes

The tablets will be absolutely fine, High5 Source/SIS/Torq etc are far less pleasant, but I have often left my Camelbak half full of High5 Source for months on end, a quick swish with boiling water and it's fine, never caught owt. Certainly doesn't degrade the bladder either, total ****.

A friend doesn't even do that, regularly has mould growing on his mouthpiece, just argues 'its my mould', bit wrong, but works for him.

mikewoods
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:40 am

Re: anyone use High5 Zero Electrolyte Tablet in a camelbak?

Postby mikewoods » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:23 am

Agreed - I only just recently washed out my Hydrapak because I thought the black growths around the seal didint look very pleasant!

I dont think I've died yet!

User avatar
felix.london
Posts: 3863
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 21:09 pm

Re: anyone use High5 Zero Electrolyte Tablet in a camelbak?

Postby felix.london » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:28 am

Hmm, not sure about all this unpleasantness. I only put water in mine and still wash it out after each ride. Same with the bottle but that gets a proper hot water, washing up liquid wash or the dishwasher treatment.
"Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8

User avatar
njee20
Posts: 9490
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 20:06 pm

Re: anyone use High5 Zero Electrolyte Tablet in a camelbak?

Postby njee20 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:34 am

There are currently 6 water bottles in my car that I know of, all of which have just been left partially filled since I last used them, which in some cases is a months back. When I next need them I'll swill them out under the tap, maybe a quick scrub, then fill and use them. When they get really really mouldy I may throw the odd one out!

User avatar
Cat With No Tail
Posts: 13273
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 14:32 pm

Re: anyone use High5 Zero Electrolyte Tablet in a camelbak?

Postby Cat With No Tail » Tue Oct 09, 2012 07:45 am

1. Please cite your sources to prove that putting anything but water in my camelbak (as I've been doing for years) will kill me, make me ill, make me grow a 2nd head, give me aids or any of the other rediculous statements you've made about it.
Also, if this is the case, and there is any REAL danger of harm, why is this not mentioned when you buy one? No warnings on any of the bladders I've ever bought.

Your whole argument sounds to me like one of those daily mail "stories" about how hotdogs will give you cancer.

2. Thanks, I'm well aware of what a bidon is, I'm also well aware that my main bike does not have bottle holder mounts, and even if it did, the fact the cap would be covered in allsorts of shlt after about 5min represents a much more realistic threat to my health than the inside of my camelbak. A bottle holds 750m of water, my camelbak holds 3l. Perfect for longer rides. Th bottle holder on the other bike is fine for shorter rides though. and I don't believe either one will kill me.

I'm glad you enjoy your roadbike, I quite like them too, hope to get another one soon. There are MANY people on here who have roadies, I prefer mountain bikes though. I wouldn't presume to tell you which one you'd find more fun, so please don't try and do the same.

And no, I can't name the polymer the bladder is made from, nor the plasticisers they add, just like I can't name any of the other plastics on any of my other drinks bottles, or the rubber the hoses in my car are made from, or the starting squad for the 1970 world cup team. Why? Because none of this information has any real-world application for me, other than making posts on internet forums showing everyone how clever I am.

ben11
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 07:42 am

Re: anyone use High5 Zero Electrolyte Tablet in a camelbak?

Postby ben11 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 08:25 am

Cat With No Tail wrote:1. Please cite your sources to prove that putting anything but water in my camelbak (as I've been doing for years) will kill me, make me ill, make me grow a 2nd head, give me aids or any of the other rediculous statements you've made about it.
Also, if this is the case, and there is any REAL danger of harm, why is this not mentioned when you buy one? No warnings on any of the bladders I've ever bought.

Your whole argument sounds to me like one of those daily mail "stories" about how hotdogs will give you cancer.

2. Thanks, I'm well aware of what a bidon is, I'm also well aware that my main bike does not have bottle holder mounts, and even if it did, the fact the cap would be covered in allsorts of shlt after about 5min represents a much more realistic threat to my health than the inside of my camelbak. A bottle holds 750m of water, my camelbak holds 3l. Perfect for longer rides. Th bottle holder on the other bike is fine for shorter rides though. and I don't believe either one will kill me.

I'm glad you enjoy your roadbike, I quite like them too, hope to get another one soon. There are MANY people on here who have roadies, I prefer mountain bikes though. I wouldn't presume to tell you which one you'd find more fun, so please don't try and do the same.

And no, I can't name the polymer the bladder is made from, nor the plasticisers they add, just like I can't name any of the other plastics on any of my other drinks bottles, or the rubber the hoses in my car are made from, or the starting squad for the 1970 world cup team. Why? Because none of this information has any real-world application for me, other than making posts on internet forums showing everyone how clever I am.


Brilliant

User avatar
njee20
Posts: 9490
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 20:06 pm

Re: anyone use High5 Zero Electrolyte Tablet in a camelbak?

Postby njee20 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 08:27 am

2) You know those drink bottles that are specially designed to fit in a bidon holder? Well they're called bidons and have been for well over a hundred years now.


Wow, what a tool. Bidon is the French word for 'flask', and yes what they call water bottles. We aren't French, so call them 'water bottles', they go in a bottle cage. A bidon holder is an absurd term, either use the proper French term, or don't. I assume you also don your maillot to ride your vélo on the pavé? Which pneus, Pro3s or Ultremos?

If you want a real thrill go get a decent roadbike point it down the biggest hill you can find and see if you can streamline your way to 100k's. My PB is 85 (need a bigger hill)


Wow, I'm really impressed that you can sound all cool with your really lame top speed. Get over yourself. :roll:

Concorde
Posts: 926
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 23:39 pm

Re: anyone use High5 Zero Electrolyte Tablet in a camelbak?

Postby Concorde » Tue Oct 09, 2012 09:25 am

Stick what you want in it, you'll always get the cotton wool types that go on about bacteria and all that nonsense! They clearly didn't play up the mountains as kids picking up all sorts of germs, and clearly ride around the puddles in case some bacteria flys up and lands on their face! Shock horror!!!

User avatar
Cat With No Tail
Posts: 13273
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 14:32 pm

Re: anyone use High5 Zero Electrolyte Tablet in a camelbak?

Postby Cat With No Tail » Wed Oct 10, 2012 07:22 am

cyd190468 wrote: Cat I actually only claimed you would get the runs occasionally


Are you quite sure about that?

cyd190468 wrote: The chemicals that leach out of plastics are colourless and tasteless and can cause long term kidney and liver damage


You went from telling us we'd get the runs from the bacteria in our camelbaks (I don't necessarily even agree with you on this by the way), to telling us our camelbaks were slowly poisoning us.

I have no doubt that there may be additives in plastics that are toxic, but not in the levels a normal human being is likely to ever encounter from drinking from a camelbak. There are all kinds of pathogens in every aspect of our lives. Most of them are accumulated in such tiny quantities though it's not a concern if you use common sense.

As for your lesson in French words in common usage in the English language, you just come across as a bit of a douche to be honest. There seems to be little point to what you're saying. We all know English is a bastardized mis-match of several languages, primarily Germanic. Just like we all know Australia is a colony of criminals ;)

User avatar
njee20
Posts: 9490
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 20:06 pm

Re: anyone use High5 Zero Electrolyte Tablet in a camelbak?

Postby njee20 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 07:50 am

Hey njee what do you call those things that move your chain between different gears seeing as how your so against the use of french terms.


A mech. You can call it a dérailleur if you want, I don't. If you call it a mech I won't say 'that's not what they're called', which is exactly what you did with your slightly pathetic attempt at being pretentious!

I think it's interesting that "bidon holder" gets just 15,600 hits on Google, very much basic products from the leisure market, whilst "bottle cage" gets over 2,000,000. Who'd have thought the whole internet would get the name wrong!

And Cat I actually only claimed you would get the runs occasionally, which I would prefer to avoid.


As said, no you didn't. And having lived and ridden in the UK, always used energy things in Camelbaks and never caught anything and thus actually being qualified to comment first hand on this, I am going to make a note that you a bit of an imbecile, and completely disregard everything you say herein.

User avatar
felix.london
Posts: 3863
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 21:09 pm

Re: anyone use High5 Zero Electrolyte Tablet in a camelbak?

Postby felix.london » Wed Oct 10, 2012 08:07 am

:lol:
"Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8

User avatar
Cat With No Tail
Posts: 13273
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 14:32 pm

Re: anyone use High5 Zero Electrolyte Tablet in a camelbak?

Postby Cat With No Tail » Wed Oct 10, 2012 09:11 am

njee20 wrote: imbecile,


You know where that word originates don't you? :lol:

User avatar
njee20
Posts: 9490
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 20:06 pm

Re: anyone use High5 Zero Electrolyte Tablet in a camelbak?

Postby njee20 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 09:17 am

Latin innit?

No problem with using French, or other, words (as we all do), the douchery stems from the insinuation that the (more commonly used) English word is wrong!

User avatar
Cat With No Tail
Posts: 13273
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 14:32 pm

Re: anyone use High5 Zero Electrolyte Tablet in a camelbak?

Postby Cat With No Tail » Wed Oct 10, 2012 09:32 am

njee20 wrote:Latin innit?


DOH!

That's my budding carreer in Etymology down the toilet (or toilette as the case may be).

;)

User avatar
bennett_346
Posts: 5072
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 09:47 am

Re: anyone use High5 Zero Electrolyte Tablet in a camelbak?

Postby bennett_346 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 00:36 am

cyd190468 wrote:Douche :D So many french words. Now I shall fill my bidons after a quick toilette (actually means wash) and join the peloton for a quick tour, which maillot shall I wear probably the rouge. (Can I at least call them knicks and jerseys or do I have to say shirts and bike shorts?)
BTW this whole french thing started because i casually used the term bidon in a sentence and Cat lowered the tone by being abusive. I was a roadie before mountain bikes were invented so I've always called them bidons and knicks and jerseys and derailleurs. What about derailleur hangers. You don't call them mech hangers do you? :(

sorry but what a bellend.

just fukk of back to the road forum and stop your whining shite please.

User avatar
Cat With No Tail
Posts: 13273
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 14:32 pm

Re: anyone use High5 Zero Electrolyte Tablet in a camelbak?

Postby Cat With No Tail » Thu Oct 11, 2012 07:36 am

cyd190468 wrote:BTW this whole french thing started because i casually used the term bidon in a sentence and Cat lowered the tone by being abusive.

I can't figure out if you're bi-polar or just an idiot.
I have no issue with you using the term bidon, if you so choose. It was the fact that you took it upon yourself to tell people that's what they should be using instead of a camelbak.


cyd190468 wrote: I was a roadie before mountain bikes were invented so I've always called them bidons and knicks and jerseys and derailleurs. What about derailleur hangers. You don't call them mech hangers do you? :(


You seem to be getting really hung up on the fact everyone should be using the French word instead of the accepted English. Does it really matter? As for being a roadie since before MTBs were invented, congratulations, you're old, not really sure how that's in any way relevant. I see plenty of roadies using "bottle / bottle holder", "shorts", "shirts" and dare I even say, good lord no, it can't be......... "mechs / mech hangers" OMFG !!!111oneoneone.

User avatar
Lewis A
Posts: 726
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 17:58 pm

Re: anyone use High5 Zero Electrolyte Tablet in a camelbak?

Postby Lewis A » Thu Oct 11, 2012 08:14 am

cyd190468 wrote:You don't call them mech hangers do you? :(


Urrm, hate to break it too you, but even the magazines normally refer to them as mech hangers, because they are used to attach your rear mech to the bike.
Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.

User avatar
felix.london
Posts: 3863
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 21:09 pm

Re: anyone use High5 Zero Electrolyte Tablet in a camelbak?

Postby felix.london » Thu Oct 11, 2012 08:41 am

These moronic posts of his(?) usually occur at about 1am UK time (I live in France :wink: ) so I'd suggest cyd to either go to bed earlier or knock the booze on the head.

Btw - these old roadies sound gayer and gayer by the minute..what was it? "Bibs & knicks" or "knicks and jersey's" or something?...please
"Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8

jairaj
Posts: 2892
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 17:26 pm

Re: anyone use High5 Zero Electrolyte Tablet in a camelbak?

Postby jairaj » Thu Oct 11, 2012 08:55 am

cyd190468 wrote: ... Where I am (AUS) ...


I think that explains the 1am posts.

User avatar
felix.london
Posts: 3863
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 21:09 pm

Re: anyone use High5 Zero Electrolyte Tablet in a camelbak?

Postby felix.london » Thu Oct 11, 2012 09:10 am

jairaj wrote:
cyd190468 wrote: ... Where I am (AUS) ...


I think that explains the 1am posts.


Austria?


Ha! Didn't see that but prob also explains the excessive drinking and narrow minded attitude :wink: anyway - sounds like he should be over here in France...with me :?
"Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8


Return to “MTB General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests