Hope/stans wheel set + added superstar Trizoid question

Discuss the eternal "Which fork/bike/tyres should I buy?" questions.
Bams

Re: Hope/stans wheel set + added superstar Trizoid question

Postby Bams » Fri Oct 05, 2012 15:37 pm

I've had a couple of sets for my Switch hubs off these guys http://stores.ebay.co.uk/ptandbearings. Its about time to change them again as the backs getting a bit wobbly, I think it's been about 18mts since i had the last lot.

jairaj

Postby jairaj » Fri Oct 05, 2012 16:07 pm

For lose bearings I just buy from who ever is cheapest with the correct grade.

I'm trying the "own" branded cartridge bearings from simply bearings. I think they were almost 1/3 the price of the SKF ones and had the same amount of marketing buff. Hopefully they're not utter crap. The previous unknown bearings in my Superstar hubs lasted 2 years so if these last half as long I'll still be happy.

stubs

Postby stubs » Fri Oct 05, 2012 20:02 pm

Cleaned and regreased the pawls on my trizoid and it takes about 20 mins to do the job if your like me and clean things cleaner than an operating theatre. Didnt really need to swap the wheel bearings but the brake side bearing didnt feel quite as smooth as I would like so knocked out both bearings and replaced them with some new ones I had in my spares box. Total time to do whole job about an hour and the only special tool was me.
Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap

Paul_iow

Re: Hope hoops/Stans Crest wheelset

Postby Paul_iow » Sat Oct 06, 2012 09:51 am

If you are quick you can get yourself a set of stans arch rims and Evo switch hubs for £165! Just got myself a set :D

frankspencer1979

Postby frankspencer1979 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 15:05 pm

frankspencer1979 wrote:Cheers superstar man. So this wheelset

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=227

is the older hub that needs the special tool?

Well I went for this set in the end, arrived today. Everything seems ok, but I not been for a decent ride yet, that'll be tomorrow. Tyres gone on nice and easy, and everything runs true. I can't see how the hubs come apart for servicing at this stage, there's no place to put cone spanners at least anyway. I'll deal with that issue as and when. They don't half sound weird,not too loud but.... weird!

Went for gold, don't know why. Shiny.

stubs

Postby stubs » Tue Oct 09, 2012 17:59 pm

The clue is the allen key in the drive side of the axle. Shove an allen key in the hole (cant remember sizes) undo and everything comes apart easily. They really are easy to strip down once you have end cap off the freehub just pulls off but be careful or the pawls and springs will disappear to the corners of your work area.
Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap

frankspencer1979

Postby frankspencer1979 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 18:49 pm

Cheers fella, i can see the allen key fitment now!

Return to “MTB Buying Advice”