Catford CC Hill Climb

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
Le Commentateur

Re: Catford CC Hill Climb

Postby Le Commentateur » Thu Oct 04, 2012 22:08 pm

The event is a sprint up a steep but fairly short road, so it's about the ability to ride at your threshold power for the 3–4 minutes it will take riders to get up it. Turbo or track is probably better training than endless alpine gradients.

2012 is the 125th anniversary year I believe.
Last edited by Le Commentateur on Fri Oct 05, 2012 18:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BigMat

Postby BigMat » Thu Oct 04, 2012 22:19 pm

It's a piece of wee-wee if its dry. Only done it once on Strava, I attacked the whole hill from the turning so was a bit spent by the steep bit they use for the hill climb. Still 15th. If wet its a while different kettle of fish.

okgo

Postby okgo » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:39 am

It was wet when I went up both of them the other day, and certainly you get wheel slip (well I do because I'm fat), and I think the Bec one is worse just progressive and horrible. Haven't entered myself, but might well go down and cheer some clubmates up there!
Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com

phreak

Postby phreak » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:35 am

It said that a former TDF yellow jersey holder might be riding. Wonder who that might be. Boardman perhaps?

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:41 am

phreak wrote:It said that a former TDF yellow jersey holder might be riding. Wonder who that might be. Boardman perhaps?

Its Sean Yates, who's definitely down on the start list

Extralight

Postby Extralight » Tue Oct 09, 2012 13:24 pm

okgo wrote:It was wet when I went up both of them the other day, and certainly you get wheel slip (well I do because I'm fat), and I think the Bec one is worse just progressive and horrible. Haven't entered myself, but might well go down and cheer some clubmates up there!

This goes to show that it's horses for courses (both times I've riddent these climbs this month, I've found the Catford/Yorks Hill climb harder than the Bec/White Lane climb). But what most people who've ridden these climbs would agree (except BigMat above who described them as a piece of wee wee in the dry) is that they are really tough. Short, but very steep. The elevation data on RidewithGPS does indicate that neither have a gradient that exceeds 20%, but as someone who seeks out the hardest climbs on any ride, and who rides 25% gradients in the Chilterns, I'd say that the end of the Yorks Hill/Catford climb is, as the organisers say, 25% or 1 in 4. I'd suggest that elevation data on Strava and RidewithGPS for such a short segment should be considered indicative rather than definitive!

With the right gearing, any fit rider should indeed cope with these, and second time around this weekend with more forgiving gearing, I found them slightly less horrendous. The challenge is not to go too hard on the more gentle lower slopes, as then overcoming the gradients at the end does become a real challenge. If it's wet, like this weekend was, then it's going to take longer and be harder, technically and physically. I'm a skinny bloke (55kg), and I too was getting wheelspin out of the saddle, but my front wheel was lifting riding seated. This time around, I found it more of an ordeal for my upper body and lungs than my legs.

Good luck to all who are racing these climbs this weekend. As others have said, no Hill Climb should be easy, it's a race after all - if it doesn't feel like you're about to die, you're not going hard enough!

okgo

Postby okgo » Tue Oct 09, 2012 13:49 pm

I'm a fool, I got them mixed up, yes, the Catford one was my least favorite!!

I agree with Matt, they're not hard to ride up, I took them both at a very easy pace and although it forces you out of the saddle at times (well it does on a 39-25) it certainly wasn't too bad. But when you're attacking it full gas it will be a totally different climb, and I have no wish to attack a climb so steep my wheels spin.
Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com

mroli

Postby mroli » Tue Oct 09, 2012 14:34 pm

Yorks Hill is not a piece of wee wee if it is wet. It gets covered in muck and is pretty nasty.

My blog on it is here:http://www.100hillsforgeorge.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/hill-no-75-15-yorks-hill.html

BigMat

Postby BigMat » Tue Oct 09, 2012 15:17 pm

I may have been drunk when I made that last post. Both climbs are tough. Particularly tough with 80+ miles in your legs, at race pace or in the wet. I think its fair to say that in the dry and when fresh, most competent cyclists could get up there without too much trouble, although "piece of p*ss" is maybe a bit much. Would love to race up there but always seem to be busy on hill climb weekend - at a wedding in Cornwall this year (not even taking bike with me :( )

TheStone

Postby TheStone » Tue Oct 09, 2012 16:30 pm

dsoutar wrote:
gattocattivo wrote:There are some very odd times on that segment. Even discounting the bottom three as some sort of malfunction, I'm not sure I could cycle as slow as the ones immediatley above them without falling off

If you look at the dates, most are May 27th. Evans King of the Downs. 160-170km and probably 2300m in at that stage. Walking is not uncommon :oops:

gattocattivo

Postby gattocattivo » Tue Oct 09, 2012 22:45 pm

^ formatting issue? that's not a quote of what I posted, it's somebody else's post

Le Commentateur

Postby Le Commentateur » Tue Oct 09, 2012 23:31 pm

Here is the finish line of the Catford hill climb at Yorks Hill.

Notice how the road abruptly disappears just beyond it....

Le Commentateur

Postby Le Commentateur » Wed Oct 10, 2012 23:40 pm

The ultimate: Scanuppia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulJsjynZEZc

Maximum gradient 45%.

Pross

Postby Pross » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:36 am

Le Commentateur wrote:The ultimate: Scanuppia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulJsjynZEZc

Maximum gradient 45%.

Just looked that up on Climb By Bike, 7.5km at an average of 17.8%!!! I'm amazed the Giro organisers haven't included it yet!

http://www.climbbybike.com/profile.asp?Climbprofile=Scanuppia---Malga-Palazzo&MountainID=3597

Extralight

Postby Extralight » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:23 pm

mroli wrote:Yorks Hill is not a piece of wee wee if it is wet. It gets covered in muck and is pretty nasty.

My blog on it is here:http://www.100hillsforgeorge.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/hill-no-75-15-yorks-hill.html

Sorry to bring this back to the not-very Pro Race Catford HC (although there are 2 Pro riders on the start list, and Sean Yates).... if it's wet, and the forecast is for rain on Sunday, is it better to be in a higher (harder) or lower (easier) gear to minimise wheel spin? It was a bit slippery last Sunday when I rode it, but I think on the day it will properly wet, and very slippery. I know to run slightly softer tyres, and try and keep my weight over the back wheel, but any top tips for managing these conditions are welcomed! Thanks.

Pross

Postby Pross » Thu Oct 11, 2012 13:05 pm

Lower and stay seated as much as possible.

Extralight

Postby Extralight » Thu Oct 11, 2012 13:40 pm

Thanks Pross. That's what I initially thought, but then I realised that in a car driving in ice, I think the advice is to be in a higher gear to avoid wheel spin - maybe that's just when pulling away. Obviously I realise a bike's not a car!

mroli

Postby mroli » Thu Oct 11, 2012 13:46 pm

Yes - defo - lower. If only because you can control power to wheel a lot better and it will be easier to remain in saddle - pushing a higher gear lifts you out of the saddle too much.

Of course, if the slope is too great, you'll get front wheel lift if you remain seated. Then its a conundrum....!

Oh - and BigMat - you're going to Cornwall and not taking your bike - shame on you!!! :D

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Thu Oct 11, 2012 13:59 pm

Extralight, in case I forget...best of luck on Sunday! :lol:

BigMat

Postby BigMat » Thu Oct 11, 2012 14:50 pm

mroli wrote:Yes - defo - lower. If only because you can control power to wheel a lot better and it will be easier to remain in saddle - pushing a higher gear lifts you out of the saddle too much.

Of course, if the slope is too great, you'll get front wheel lift if you remain seated. Then its a conundrum....!

Oh - and BigMat - you're going to Cornwall and not taking your bike - shame on you!!! :D

Its a very rare weekend without the kids, I think I would be a dead man if I even suggested taking the bike!

Re hill climb strategy in the wet, staying seated is obviously preferable to avoid rear wheel spin, but there will be occasions where you need to stand (unless you want to get a very slow time), I think key is to avoid jerky movements as much as possible - keep the front end straight, weight over the back wheel - will hurt your uppr body, makes it a real killer effort - good luck to anybody racing!

Return to “Pro Race”