Justifying expensive bikes

Got a general MTB question that doesn't fit anywhere else? Here's the place.
Dannyboy95

Justifying expensive bikes

Postby Dannyboy95 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:55 pm

This shall be interesting!

Can you really justify buying a bike worth thousands of pounds. I have a TREK and it was worth £575 and that to me is a perfectly good bike hydraulic brakes gear shift smooth so why would I buy a bike worth £1000 more?
cosna kick a bo agen a wo and ed it back till it bos-UP HANLEY ME DUCK

NO STAIRWAY....DENIED!

D.Leyland
Current Bike-TREK 4500
Previous Bikes
:Giant Roam 3
:Bianchi Nirone 7

spongtastic

Re: Justifying expensive bikes

Postby spongtastic » Tue Oct 09, 2012 13:03 pm

Because you can. If you have the money don't need it for anything else why not?

As long as you don't criticise people for having a cheaper or more expensive bike who gives a sh*t what you ride as long as you're enjoying yourself.
Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?

njee20

Postby njee20 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 13:07 pm

Why should it be interesting? It's a pointless discussion, if you have the money it it gives you pleasure why justify it?

I have a £6500 Trek MTB, plus a spare set of wheels, plus (quick mental tot up) £1000 of tyres, £900 of shoes, £700 of sunglasses, £500 of helmets and a couple of grands worth of clothing. There are folk on here with far more kit than that!

Can't really imagine riding a £1500 bike frankly. Didn't realise I was accountable for it though?

oodboo

Postby oodboo » Tue Oct 09, 2012 13:11 pm

Try a bike worth a grand more and judge for yourself. Without directly comparing models it's hard to say.
I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava

Cat With No Tail

Postby Cat With No Tail » Tue Oct 09, 2012 13:22 pm

Pointless thread is pointless

The Rookie

Postby The Rookie » Tue Oct 09, 2012 13:31 pm

It's your money, spend it how you want, I have a snotter that cost me about £500 to put together but rides really well, I lust after a Pivot Mach4 which is £3000 upwards, I'd probably be an 'allthegearandnoidea' on it, but what the heck, it's those people who have passed on all the good used bikes to the market!

Extralight

Postby Extralight » Tue Oct 09, 2012 13:34 pm

Indulging in a passion feeds your soul and is life-affirming. As long as your wife and kids aren't going without because you're spending money on your bikes instead of supporting them, then, as others have said, if you can afford it, do it. Sure, a £3k bike doesn't ride 3 times better, weigh 1/3, or go 3 times faster than a £1k bike, but it will be better, look great, and you'll love fettling with it, and feel great riding it.

Can you afford a pro level racing car/yacht/set of golf clubs? Probably not. Can you afford a bike like a pro racer's bike, perhaps if you're not too hard up and/or save and make sacrifices. Compared to many other sports involving mechanical equipment, cycling's pretty accessible.

cooldad

Postby cooldad » Tue Oct 09, 2012 13:36 pm

A slag from Rhyl does the same job as a hottie supermodel.

By the way, Sheeps mum comes from Rhyl, so he says. I think he's just bragging.
I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

lawman

Postby lawman » Tue Oct 09, 2012 14:41 pm

During my gap year whilst I was working, and friends were going on holidays and just wasting money, buying my dream bike seemed like a good investment!! On the whole I find it pretty easy to justify expensive kit, I don't drink a huge amount, I don't smoke, and I live otherwise fairly economically so why not put the spare cash towards "X" bike part or whatever it may be. I love a bargain as much as anyone, but I have no problems paying more for exactly the thing I think would fit its purpose best. Somethings however I just can't justify, like the XTR cassette and cranks I feel I need, but can in no way justify given my meagre student loan :lol:

Dannyboy95

Postby Dannyboy95 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 14:47 pm

Thanks for the comments. I wasn't stating an opinion i was just asking a question because for me I don't have the funds at the moment to purchase a bike of that price tag but good to see other peoples views.
cosna kick a bo agen a wo and ed it back till it bos-UP HANLEY ME DUCK

NO STAIRWAY....DENIED!

D.Leyland
Current Bike-TREK 4500
Previous Bikes
:Giant Roam 3
:Bianchi Nirone 7

supersonic
Lives Here

Postby supersonic » Tue Oct 09, 2012 14:50 pm

Imagine your own bike where every bit was a little bit better, a little bit lighter, longer lasting, more grip, faster, more adjustment, superior suspension and so on. Sure the law of diminishing returns sets in sooner or later, but not at the money you are looking at.

DCR00

Postby DCR00 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 15:00 pm

supersonic wrote:Imagine your own bike where every bit was a little bit better, a little bit lighter, longer lasting, more grip, faster, more adjustment, superior suspension and so on. Sure the law of diminishing returns sets in sooner or later, but not at the money you are looking at.

I had this with my last bike. After spending around £1,800 on it i got it down to 9.5kgs. I could have spent another £1,000 on it and prob shed another 1.5kgs. Worth it ? not really

Its all relative at the end of the day. Some people get a load of enjoyment from riding a battered old bike, some people get a lot of enjoyment from riding the latest carbon superbike. As long as you are enjoying yourself, thats the main thing IMO.

mcnultycop

Postby mcnultycop » Tue Oct 09, 2012 16:26 pm

I can justify spending what I've spent on my bikes. I had the money, so I spent it on my bikes. That is all the justification needed.

mrmonkfinger

Postby mrmonkfinger » Tue Oct 09, 2012 18:16 pm

mcnultycop wrote:I can justify spending what I've spent on my bikes. I had the money, so I spent it on my bikes. That is all the justification needed.

Were they expensive?

Remember, cheap or medium priced bikes need no justification.

Rushmore

Postby Rushmore » Tue Oct 09, 2012 18:20 pm

I like nice stuff...

I can afford it..

I don't drink, smoke or do drugs..

So why the heel can't I spend money on what i love doing?
Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
De Rosa R838

castlelad

Postby castlelad » Tue Oct 09, 2012 18:25 pm

i justify my bikes, 'goose salvo 2011 thingybob £800, saracen zen x 2012 £1100, by working and earning the money that paid for them,even tho the sara nearly had to go back due to possibilty of redundancy which i escaped by the skin of my ar5e, :wink: ok they aint as costly as some here, but all the same they go where i want them to, stop when i want them to, it apparently helps with fitness :? ,blows out the cobwebs,gives "me" time,and has helped me to retire from "weekend offending" at football(feel free to judge me or critisise me,i dont regret it and will not justify who,what,when,where, or why) which inturn has helped with me & "dave".....So yeah i can justify my bikes and the money i spend on my hobby.......

gerroffandmilkit

Postby gerroffandmilkit » Tue Oct 09, 2012 18:26 pm

Rushmore wrote:So why the heel can't I spend money on what i love doing?

What he said! :wink:

mcnultycop

Postby mcnultycop » Tue Oct 09, 2012 18:32 pm

mrmonkfinger wrote:
mcnultycop wrote:I can justify spending what I've spent on my bikes. I had the money, so I spent it on my bikes. That is all the justification needed.

Were they expensive?

Remember, cheap or medium priced bikes need no justification.

Who are you justifying things to? I don't understand the issue. If you can afford it then do it it's fine.

Clank

Postby Clank » Tue Oct 09, 2012 19:53 pm

supersonic wrote:Imagine your own bike where every bit was a little bit better, a little bit lighter, longer lasting, more grip, faster, more adjustment, superior suspension and so on.

...or you could have just bought an Orange.

Ba-dum Tish!

I'll get my coat....
How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.

WindyG

Postby WindyG » Tue Oct 09, 2012 21:36 pm

Don't see the need to justify anything to anyone, the important thing is getting out there and riding and enjoying it, doesn't matter if it's bottom end or a high end expensive bike.

Return to “MTB General”