RS Lyrik RC2DH 170mm on Commencal Meta SX

Discuss the eternal "Which fork/bike/tyres should I buy?" questions.
mxru
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 14:28 pm

RS Lyrik RC2DH 170mm on Commencal Meta SX

Postby mxru » Tue Oct 09, 2012 14:34 pm

Commencal Meta SX is builded around 160mm fork. I have frame only and want to know is 170mm fork will be "ok" with this frame. Thank you for advice!

P.S. Sorry for my English, i am not from UK. :)

User avatar
felix.london
Posts: 3863
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 21:09 pm

Re: RS Lyrik RC2DH 170mm on Commencal Meta SX

Postby felix.london » Tue Oct 09, 2012 15:26 pm

Shouldn't think 10mm will be big problem. What size steerer has the fork got and what size headtube has the frame got?

If you can use a low stack bottom cup you might well be able to lose the extra 10mm of axle-to-crown height in the headtube
"Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8

User avatar
nicklouse
Lives Here
Posts: 80713
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:14 pm

Re: RS Lyrik RC2DH 170mm on Commencal Meta SX

Postby nicklouse » Tue Oct 09, 2012 15:39 pm

10mm may actually be a bigger difference that just that.

the axle to crown height needs comparing from the supplied fork to the fork you are thinking of.

25mm changes the head angle by about 1 degree. standard is 66 degress and that is DH slack.
"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
Parktools :?:SheldonBrown

User avatar
bluechair84
Posts: 4046
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 15:03 pm
Contact:

Re: RS Lyrik RC2DH 170mm on Commencal Meta SX

Postby bluechair84 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 17:57 pm

I ran a 160mm fork on my 150mm frame and the changes to geometry were slight but something I liked. Obviously, geometry preference is individual. This was a trail bike and it I was doing quite a bit of DH, including riding in the Alps. Never had a problem. I'd be happy to run a 170mm fork on a 160mm frame.

mxru
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 14:28 pm

Re: RS Lyrik RC2DH 170mm on Commencal Meta SX

Postby mxru » Tue Oct 09, 2012 18:35 pm

Thank you for the answers, guys!

felix.london wrote:Shouldn't think 10mm will be big problem. What size steerer has the fork got and what size headtube has the frame got?

If you can use a low stack bottom cup you might well be able to lose the extra 10mm of axle-to-crown height in the headtube


As Commencal says zs44 on top and zs56 jn bottom. Head tube is tapered.

mxru
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 14:28 pm

Re: RS Lyrik RC2DH 170mm on Commencal Meta SX

Postby mxru » Tue Oct 09, 2012 18:37 pm

nicklouse wrote:10mm may actually be a bigger difference that just that.

the axle to crown height needs comparing from the supplied fork to the fork you are thinking of.

25mm changes the head angle by about 1 degree. standard is 66 degress and that is DH slack.


Commencal site says, that recommended fork height is 545mm and max fork height is 555mm (as Lyrik)

mxru
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 14:28 pm

Re: RS Lyrik RC2DH 170mm on Commencal Meta SX

Postby mxru » Tue Oct 09, 2012 18:41 pm

Here is information from official cite:

Image

User avatar
felix.london
Posts: 3863
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 21:09 pm

Re: RS Lyrik RC2DH 170mm on Commencal Meta SX

Postby felix.london » Tue Oct 09, 2012 20:02 pm

mxru wrote:Thank you for the answers, guys!

felix.london wrote:Shouldn't think 10mm will be big problem. What size steerer has the fork got and what size headtube has the frame got?

If you can use a low stack bottom cup you might well be able to lose the extra 10mm of axle-to-crown height in the headtube


As Commencal says zs44 on top and zs56 jn bottom. Head tube is tapered.


What's the steerer on the fork? If it's a straight 1+1/8" steerer and you use a headset with a low-stack bottom cup (check out the Hope Pick 'n' Mix http://www.hopetech.com/page.aspx?itemID=SPG240 ) the A2C height prob wont be much different from using a 160mm fork with a headset that uses a standard bottom cup...if you know what I mean :?
"Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8

mxru
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 14:28 pm

Re: RS Lyrik RC2DH 170mm on Commencal Meta SX

Postby mxru » Tue Oct 09, 2012 20:40 pm

felix.london wrote:
mxru wrote:Thank you for the answers, guys!

felix.london wrote:Shouldn't think 10mm will be big problem. What size steerer has the fork got and what size headtube has the frame got?

If you can use a low stack bottom cup you might well be able to lose the extra 10mm of axle-to-crown height in the headtube


As Commencal says zs44 on top and zs56 jn bottom. Head tube is tapered.


What's the steerer on the fork? If it's a straight 1+1/8" steerer and you use a headset with a low-stack bottom cup (check out the Hope Pick 'n' Mix http://www.hopetech.com/page.aspx?itemID=SPG240 ) the A2C height prob wont be much different from using a 160mm fork with a headset that uses a standard bottom cup...if you know what I mean :?


Lyrik is tapered and i could use zero-stack bottom cup with it. But as i know - stock 36 float on this bike is also tapered and use zero-stack bottom cup. So it will be 10mm difference - 545mm in stock (recommended by manufacturer) and 555 with Lyrik (max possible height as manufacturer says).


Return to “MTB Buying Advice”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: POAH and 3 guests