Real newbie: thumb shifters and tire valve questions

New to Cycling? Want some advice? Start here...
zedzed

Real newbie: thumb shifters and tire valve questions

Postby zedzed » Tue Oct 09, 2012 16:31 pm

Hi,
2 quickies .....

1. 2nd hand Spec Allez with thumb shifters ... How do I go down to lower gears? On quick test when buying bike I only went up and taking a look the 'trigger' it doesn't go in both directions ... Any advice appreciated! Need to take bike out and have a play I guess but I've had a chest infection so stik indoors!
2. Tire was a little flat so went to pump it up. Cap off and I unscrew the little nut at the top. At this point the screw in the valve gets wobbly and ultimately drops into the valve. It doesn't seem right and I can't get MTB pump to attach. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!
Dez

Beastwooduk

Re: Real newbie: thumb shifters and tire valve questions

Postby Beastwooduk » Tue Oct 09, 2012 16:53 pm

Hi
If its what i didnt work out as well when i got mine a, u use the brake levers to go in the other direction by ******* the brake levers inwards

sungod

Postby sungod » Tue Oct 09, 2012 18:36 pm

as above, typically you push the brake lever inwards to shift in the other direction

sounds like your pump is for schrader valves, some have a removable head that unscrews and when reversed fits presta valves, otherwise you can get an adapter, or a new pump

road pressures are usually much higher than mtb, so a new pump may be the best option
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Gizmodo

Postby Gizmodo » Tue Oct 09, 2012 18:41 pm

As the others have said. Just in case you still don't get it, try http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoyXwlyb3cs for your gear shifting, and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9byRp9e2USU for inflating your tires.

zedzed

Postby zedzed » Tue Oct 09, 2012 19:38 pm

Thanks to all - much appreciated :)

Dez

sev112

Postby sev112 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 19:47 pm

You guys are far too nice - both of those questions could have been answered with all sorts of brilliant wind-ups, but you have spoiled all the fun :)

Return to “Road Beginners”