Silly commuting racing

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
BigMat

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby BigMat » Tue Oct 09, 2012 16:11 pm

cyclingprop wrote:
okgo wrote:
cyclingprop wrote:
Asprilla wrote:
cyclingprop wrote:
DonDaddyD wrote:Challenge.

Give me details of your commute, I'll find you and I'll overtake you. I may not hold it, but I will overtake you.

This week, train. Forseeable future, train. Not much option unfortunately.

Lets have a Richmond Park lap-off. That way OKGO can play if he puts his rucksack on.

Rucksack or parachute?

Rucksack with 40kg in, or a parachute. His choice.

I don't think any rucksack could support such a weight!

Whats your best lap?

the other issue is that at that weight I think I'd void most of the gear on my race bike as its only meant for thin people!

No problem is insurmountable.

1) Parachute it is.
2) Nothing amazing. C. 20 minutes so I ought to get out there and actually try.
3) N+1.

Its all about power to weight. So to be fair, you should both do a power test, work out W/kg then base the backpack weight on that. To be honest though, the hills in RP are all power based anyway. I guess Dark / Broomfield might penalise the larger rider, so why not just do the TT course which avoids the steeper stuff?!

okgo

Postby okgo » Tue Oct 09, 2012 16:12 pm

Flyingbogey wrote:Okgo, are you on a black Dolan? Red and white clothing?

No, although I did see the Dolan guy, think I lost him when chasing Litespeed down past Physic.

I'm wearing blue top with wheelers shorts, which are blue and red.
Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com

dhope

Postby dhope » Tue Oct 09, 2012 16:37 pm

okgo wrote:Using some man maths, I did 20 min laps the other day with 230 watts, which at a weight of 80kg is 2.8 w/kg. You are 118kg, so for you to match my w/kg and in theory the same sort of time (conditions and traffic obviously, but for sake of this) you'd need 330 watts, I've done 350 round there fairly recently with a bit more in the tank so assuming you could find a bit more effort in an all out, I think we would end up being very similar but I'd still back myself to manage what I have over you managing to find another 20 watts :D

Think that makes sense, but my head is fried, I've spent the day looking at numbers!

SCR

Statistics, Computations! Racing?
Canyon Inflite
Condor Tempo

cyclingprop

Postby cyclingprop » Tue Oct 09, 2012 16:41 pm

Can only go off stava power so... Who knows what I can do?
What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?

itboffin

Postby itboffin » Tue Oct 09, 2012 17:51 pm

BigMat wrote:
cyclingprop wrote:
okgo wrote:
cyclingprop wrote:
Asprilla wrote:
cyclingprop wrote:
DonDaddyD wrote:Challenge.

Give me details of your commute, I'll find you and I'll overtake you. I may not hold it, but I will overtake you.

This week, train. Forseeable future, train. Not much option unfortunately.

Lets have a Richmond Park lap-off. That way OKGO can play if he puts his rucksack on.

Rucksack or parachute?

Rucksack with 40kg in, or a parachute. His choice.

I don't think any rucksack could support such a weight!

Whats your best lap?

the other issue is that at that weight I think I'd void most of the gear on my race bike as its only meant for thin people!

No problem is insurmountable.

1) Parachute it is.
2) Nothing amazing. C. 20 minutes so I ought to get out there and actually try.
3) N+1.

Its all about power to weight. So to be fair, you should both do a power test, work out W/kg then base the backpack weight on that. To be honest though, the hills in RP are all power based anyway. I guess Dark / Broomfield might penalise the larger rider, so why not just do the TT course which avoids the steeper stuff?!

Oooo requote chain race
Rule #5 // Harden The fark Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

cyclingprop

Postby cyclingprop » Tue Oct 09, 2012 19:49 pm

Not strictly commuting but I got home early so jumped into kit, and hit Lower Thames St just before 6.30 and spent some time trying to chase you lot down.

Don't think I saw anyone though, and apparently red lights didn't apply to quick people. And there was a mong on a fixie moaning at people to keep filtering then trackstanding in other people's way at Battersea Bridge.
What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?

clarkey cat

Postby clarkey cat » Tue Oct 09, 2012 21:39 pm

saw iPete tonight at Blackfriars Bridge. The fixie is one ugly *****. I like it alot. I was on my Vespa - been getting settled into a new job, didnt want to swan in with my meat and two veg all lycra'd up on my first day so braving it tomorrow.

iPete

Postby iPete » Tue Oct 09, 2012 22:05 pm

Breaking the mould of elegant steel fixies and there is some beauty in its ugliness, deep deep down.

But did you get my scalp? Was turning a good pace after P-square.

clarkey cat

Postby clarkey cat » Tue Oct 09, 2012 22:06 pm

I totally smoked you. 8)

Ian.B

Postby Ian.B » Tue Oct 09, 2012 22:10 pm

A great ride home: honour maintained all the way (rare); a PB! (greeted with indifference by those at home); and a thank you for giving a tow (a first! - probably because I'm not usually that fast)

Wrath Rob

Postby Wrath Rob » Tue Oct 09, 2012 22:46 pm

Another ride with the lurgy and another fixie trying it on. TBF he was pretty rapid but on the ramp down from CB, plus the tail wind, he simply span out. I took his scalp whilst deliberately pushing a larger gear, with about 1/2 his cadence. One can't be seen to be trying, can one?

And 2 people with WTF lights. THe first was a quick hybrider with a very bright, flashing white light pointing backwards. When I asked him WTF it turned out he'd got it the wrong way round and so had a red light on the front and the white one pointing back. The 2nd was at VB, a very cute blonde lady had her rear light wedged behind her back brake. WTF? When asked she said "oh, its always falling off" and fingered it a bit before whipping it out before stuffing it in a bag. I was too speachless to follow that up with any slick 1 liners. I'll let you lot read all the innuendos into that you want too :D
FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.

bobinski

Postby bobinski » Wed Oct 10, 2012 07:40 am

Sadly, no one to race on my rather early ride in to work this morning BUT a couple of strange sights.
Firstly, a guy in what looked like surf shorts riding a Look time trial bike and wearing flip flops! He was pretty fast.
Secondly, a saw a guy on a road bike ahead of me and so chased him down. As i got closer i could see he had 2 hospital walking sticks, the type that you fit your arms into, hanging off to the left side of the bike! I gave him a wide berth... :)

pitchshifter

Postby pitchshifter » Wed Oct 10, 2012 07:55 am

Last night was fun with that tail wind. Although I drilled it down Chelsea embankment only to be passed by the litespeed guy doing well north of 30mph. Had to admit defeat there, as I couldn't up the pace..

This morning was also pleasant until some numpty went into the back of me just before parliament square when I stopped at a zebra crossing..

pangolin

Postby pangolin » Wed Oct 10, 2012 08:18 am

Bit of filtering / racing with a few roadies and a surprisingly fast MTB along Kings Road. Sadly the MTB bunny hopped onto the pavement a few times to keep up.

All reached the turning onto Embankment together, where I dropped the lot and caught greens all the way to Vauxhall Bridge :)
Genesis Croix de Fer

iPete

Postby iPete » Wed Oct 10, 2012 08:25 am

Is Kensington high street the most frustrating road ever? Time to revert back to the longer, funner more SCR riddled route in.

anonymousblackfg

Postby anonymousblackfg » Wed Oct 10, 2012 08:25 am

Tons of us out this morning in stunning weather, said morning to sketchly as half of SW london on bikes seemed to potter along the Kings Road.

That said, I came across circa 3 white vans just parked up blocking the entire road while angry traffic backs up.

Koncordski

Postby Koncordski » Wed Oct 10, 2012 08:47 am

First ride in this year where i wish i had thicker socks on, toes didn't really get warm the whole way in. MTFU and all that. Beautiful sunshine through the mist in the park, sadly no racing as I've got a stinking head cold which has somewhat reduced my pace, MTFU again. :lol:

Lovely tailwind last night, decided to go up sawyers instead of past the ballet school and overhauled a couple of roadies whilst skin breathing like a bastard. All going very well until a chap on a grey Condor with rack and panniers goes past me after we turn left by star and garter gate. Felt mightily put out so nailed it past him with the after burners on and snot streaming elegantly out of my nose, he catches me up with ease on the downhill towards ham cross and asked if i rode for pearson. Nice guy, had a chat and left him at kingston gate where he turned left to finish another lap.

Back to this morning, caught some greens through chelsea and hit the embankment behind a guy in a white rapha top, luminous overshoes and one pannier on the right hand side. Was that you, if so thanks for the tow. I was going to have a chat at PS but you got a bit luckier with a ped-X and were gone. 8)
----------------
#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
#2 Boeris Italia race steel
#3 Scott CR1 SL
#4 Trek 1.1 commuter
#5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)

Paul E

Postby Paul E » Wed Oct 10, 2012 08:51 am

Bit'o cyclocross across woolwich common as the common road was closed upto shooters hill road by the police, no idea why then everything went well until a vans mirror hit my shoulder near deptford bridge (email on it's way to the company) and thats about it, slightly over dressed but my legs seemed to like the extra warmth just not my top half.
bartman100 wrote:The OP is a troll = moron
The OP actually believes this = moron

timmyflash

Postby timmyflash » Wed Oct 10, 2012 09:06 am

pitchshifter wrote:Last night was fun with that tail wind. Although I drilled it down Chelsea embankment only to be passed by the litespeed guy doing well north of 30mph. Had to admit defeat there, as I couldn't up the pace..

Ahh, that was you. I felt in excellent form yesterday eve having been ill all last week. Decided not to bother with the chase down Chelsea Embankment due to slow fixie start, then changed my mind and hammered it after you. Slowly managed to reel you in but never actually get on anyone's wheel. Felt pretty quick though. That bloke's thighs are funkin huge.
Steel Blue Fixed - Orange Backpack Cover

How do i get a link to a photo in here?!

Fixeh

Pufftmw

Postby Pufftmw » Wed Oct 10, 2012 09:14 am

Paul E wrote:Bit'o cyclocross across woolwich common as the common road was closed upto shooters hill road by the police, no idea why

Bad coming together of a car & a motorbike apparently - police closed road for "investigations"... :( :( :(

Return to “Commuting Chat”