Going clipless

Got a general MTB question that doesn't fit anywhere else? Here's the place.
bennett_346

Re: Going clipless

Postby bennett_346 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 15:11 pm

Clips are great for helping keep your feet on the pedals on rough and also pulling up for bunny hops etc.

Some people will disagree but there's absolutely nothing wrong with using a mechanical advantage ;)

nicklouse
Lives Here

Postby nicklouse » Mon Oct 08, 2012 00:09 am

cyd190468 wrote:The best part about clipless pedals is you can ride up stuff that is impossible on flats. You get extra power in the stroke as you can pull up and this enables you to pedal more smoothly so you don't spin your rear tyre on slippery climbs. Flats are only good if you're riding the shuttle to the top.

and a lot of people with totally disagree with the above point of view.
"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
Parktools :?:SheldonBrown

Chunkers1980

Postby Chunkers1980 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 07:07 am

Yes but this is MTB, so 0%, not many % and 0%.

peter413

Postby peter413 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 09:56 am

If you can get up something clipped in, you can get up it on flats. Yes you get more power being clipped in but that extra power can just make the wheel spin. You can pedal just as smoothly on flats as you can being clipped in, it's just about technique.

And not "every roadie and xc and bmx racer" agrees, I know a few roadies and none of them have the same view and I also know some XC guys, some of them were even pretty successful, that don't have the same view, some of them even use flats themselves.

njee20

Postby njee20 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:11 am

Indeed, the notion you can't get up stuff on flats is utter tosh! 'Bunny hopping' with clips by just pulling up is wrong too, it's not using a mechanical advantage, it's a totally different action. May well get you out of trouble, but not the same thing.

And not "every roadie and xc and bmx racer" agrees, I know a few roadies and none of them have the same view and I also know some XC guys, some of them were even pretty successful, that don't have the same view, some of them even use flats themselves.

I must say I don't know a single reasonable XC or road racer using flats (dunno about BMX, don't do it), in fact I've never seen flat pedals at a road race full stop, so it's a half valid comment.

XC to me is long country dirt lanes and single track like the 9km run round glentress maybe im wrong in that but i'd want good boot rather than trainer style shoes that clipless bring

I'd ride any trail centre trail clipped in, shouldn't be any walking involved! If you're doing proper 'hike-a-bike' type stuff then fair enough, although personally I'd still use SPDs!

If you don't want to use SPDs that's fine, but don't not try them because you think they're not appropriate for certain usage.

mikewoods

Postby mikewoods » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:27 am

Clips are awesome, simples!

njee20

Postby njee20 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:40 am

There's an article on Pink Bike currently talking about top level DH racing and the proliferation of clipless pedals, that is pretty much the conclusion they reach frankly!

peter413

Postby peter413 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:23 pm

njee20 wrote:

I must say I don't know a single reasonable XC or road racer using flats (dunno about BMX, don't do it), in fact I've never seen flat pedals at a road race full stop, so it's a half valid comment.

Oops, worded that a bit wrong, they don't use flats while racing but they don't exclusively use clips while just riding normally, they certainly don't struggle to climb anything with flats, if they do they don't climb it with clips either.

Clips can be good, but not because it's easier to jump or because your feet don't get bounced off the pedals, if you're using them for that reason, especially for jumping, maybe you should be looking at a skills course instead of those shiny new shoes but make sure they are well respected in what they are teaching, I've seen some coaches out riding with some incredibly dodgy skills, unfortunately can't remember the name of the company now, which would probably make your skills worse by the end of the day if you can already ride a bike fairly well.

stubs

Postby stubs » Mon Oct 08, 2012 13:09 pm

That pinkbike article is very interesting The end of flats at World Cup DH but it doesnt really follow that a guy who goes to ride a trail centre at the weekend should do the same. Be like me copying Sebastien Vettels driving technique.

By the way clipless on my bouncer and flats on my hardtail.
Last edited by stubs on Mon Oct 08, 2012 14:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap

nicklouse
Lives Here

Postby nicklouse » Mon Oct 08, 2012 14:19 pm

stubs wrote:That pinkbike article is very interesting The end of flats Pinkbike but it doesnt really follow that a guy who goes to ride a trail centre at the weekend should do the same. Be like me copying Sebastien Vettels driving technique.

would be better giving the artical its full heading.

"The End of Flat Pedals at World Cup Downhills?"
"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."

Parktools :?:SheldonBrown

stubs

Postby stubs » Mon Oct 08, 2012 14:55 pm

nicklouse wrote:
stubs wrote:That pinkbike article is very interesting The end of flats Pinkbike but it doesnt really follow that a guy who goes to ride a trail centre at the weekend should do the same. Be like me copying Sebastien Vettels driving technique.

would be better giving the artical its full heading.

"The End of Flat Pedals at World Cup Downhills?"

Your right I have just edited the title.
Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap

bloghog

Postby bloghog » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:14 am

I rode clipless for 5 years, switched to flats around 4 years ago and much prefer flats. In my riding group it is about 50/50 clipless and flats I guess it is down to trying it and see what suits.

Dannyboy95

Postby Dannyboy95 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:48 pm

Iv used them and a friend of mine as used them personally the are an accident waiting to happen. Should you not be able to pull your foot out in time you risk breaking bones because your bike is going to fall with you and it is so easy to land awkwardly and really hurt your self.
cosna kick a bo agen a wo and ed it back till it bos-UP HANLEY ME DUCK

NO STAIRWAY....DENIED!

D.Leyland
Current Bike-TREK 4500
Previous Bikes
:Giant Roam 3
:Bianchi Nirone 7

njee20

Postby njee20 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 13:08 pm

And yet many many thousands of people manage just fine (including all bar one World Cup DH winners of the last 2 years), whilst flat pedals are responsible for gouges on the shin of virtually every rider who uses them. They sound dangerous, an accident waiting to happen. :roll:

Angry Bird

Postby Angry Bird » Tue Oct 09, 2012 13:58 pm

Dannyboy95 wrote:Iv used them and a friend of mine as used them personally the are an accident waiting to happen. Should you not be able to pull your foot out in time you risk breaking bones because your bike is going to fall with you and it is so easy to land awkwardly and really hurt your self.

Its easy to land awkwardly and "really hurt yourself" with flats too :roll:

I think the key to using clipless is having the confidence in yourself and not spend time faffing about wondering if you'll be able to unclip in time, just ride and it becomes second nature. Other week when I was out on some pretty hairy descents front went on a wet off camber root, the foot was out before I even had chance to think about it. Certainly didn't think it was noticeably slower than I'd have been with flats either.

anj132

Postby anj132 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 15:24 pm

nicklouse wrote:
cyd190468 wrote:The best part about clipless pedals is you can ride up stuff that is impossible on flats. You get extra power in the stroke as you can pull up and this enables you to pedal more smoothly so you don't spin your rear tyre on slippery climbs. Flats are only good if you're riding the shuttle to the top.

and a lot of people with totally disagree with the above point of view.

I'm with Nick here.

I thought the pull up is more a myth as most of the power is created on the down stroke. By the time you are 'pulling' up your other leg is actually pushing down. I would have said that it really comes from your feet always being in the optimal place for cycling with clipless.

As for bouncing off the pedals on rough stuff with flats... dipped heels?

stubs

Postby stubs » Tue Oct 09, 2012 17:54 pm

Dannyboy95 wrote:Iv used them and a friend of mine as used them personally the are an accident waiting to happen. Should you not be able to pull your foot out in time you risk breaking bones because your bike is going to fall with you and it is so easy to land awkwardly and really hurt your self.

Crashed many many times and got the scars to prove it but never once in all the time I have been using clipless have I ever been still clipped in when I hit the deck.

MTBiking is dangerous and I think it should be banned because I can guarantee that every single person who rides a MTBike will DIE............................eventually, probably of old age.....................................in bed.

WindyG

Postby WindyG » Tue Oct 09, 2012 21:42 pm

Same for me, every time i've crashed my feet have never stayed clipped in, I have mine set quite loose but they never come out through just riding.

Chunkers1980

Postby Chunkers1980 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 07:12 am

You know your shite, don't you.

njee20

Postby njee20 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 07:55 am

You know you're shite, don't you.

Surely?

Being attached to your pedals produces a 10-15% improvement in maximum power

What is maximum power? 1 second? 5 second? FTP? I'd like to see this evidence please! To be honest I'm tempted to go and put flats on my road bike and disprove that!

There is a performance advantage, it's not that much!

Return to “MTB General”