Lance Armstrong gets life ban,loses 7 TDF,confesses he doped

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
Crozza

Re: Lance Armstrong accepts lifetime ban,loss of 7 TDF wins

Postby Crozza » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:51 pm

Not sure which I want more - to see the LA report or for Canyon to finally get the 2013 bikes on their website

both have been promised for weeks!

mfin

Postby mfin » Wed Oct 10, 2012 15:03 pm

Definitely terrible grammar, but not quite enough to make me physically laugh.

Turfle

Postby Turfle » Wed Oct 10, 2012 15:35 pm

It begins. Tygart Statement:

http://www.usada.org/cyclinginvestigationstatement.html

"These eleven (11) teammates of Lance Armstrong, in alphabetical order, are Frankie Andreu, Michael Barry, Tom Danielson, Tyler Hamilton, George Hincapie, Floyd Landis, Levi Leipheimer, Stephen Swart, Christian Vande Velde, Jonathan Vaughters and David Zabriskie.

The riders who participated in the USPS Team doping conspiracy and truthfully assisted have been courageous in making the choice to stop perpetuating the sporting fraud, and they have suffered greatly. In addition to the public revelations, the active riders have been suspended and disqualified appropriately in line with the rules."

Think all 11 were expected. Can't think of anyone who was expected to be but who isn't on the list.

edit: Oh yes, Kevin Livingston.
Last edited by Turfle on Wed Oct 10, 2012 15:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

andyp

Postby andyp » Wed Oct 10, 2012 15:39 pm

Kevin Livingston is notable by his absence.

andyp

Postby andyp » Wed Oct 10, 2012 15:42 pm

Hincapie admits what we already knew;

http://www.bicycling.com/news/pro-cycli ... its-doping

Coach H

Postby Coach H » Wed Oct 10, 2012 15:44 pm

Why are Armstrongs lawyers commenting at all? I thought he was done with it! :?
Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')

RichN95

Postby RichN95 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 15:44 pm

Turfle wrote:It begins. Tygart Statement:

"These eleven (11) teammates of Lance Armstrong, in alphabetical order, are Frankie Andreu, Michael Barry, Tom Danielson, Tyler Hamilton, George Hincapie, Floyd Landis, Levi Leipheimer, Stephen Swart, Christian Vande Velde, Jonathan Vaughters and David Zabriskie.

The riders who participated in the USPS Team doping conspiracy and truthfully assisted have been courageous in making the choice to stop perpetuating the sporting fraud, and they have suffered greatly. In addition to the public revelations, the active riders have been suspended and disqualified appropriately in line with the rules."

Think all 11 were expected. Can't think of anyone who was expected to be but who isn't on the list.

I'm not sure Michael Barry was expected as he's not American.
Twitter: @RichN95

DeadCalm

Postby DeadCalm » Wed Oct 10, 2012 15:50 pm

Turfle

Postby Turfle » Wed Oct 10, 2012 15:51 pm

RichN95 wrote:
Turfle wrote:It begins. Tygart Statement:

I'm not sure Michael Barry was expected as he's not American.

Yeah, I think he was more on the list of possibles rather than probables.

He and Hincapie should carry a lot of weight to those who still aren't convinced.

Coach H

Postby Coach H » Wed Oct 10, 2012 15:55 pm

Plenty said this would not happen but I notice he still has not said anything about USPS et al in this statement.

LangerDan

Postby LangerDan » Wed Oct 10, 2012 15:59 pm

The USADA statement mentions sworn testimony from 15 riders, 11 of whom are later named as members of USPS.

Who were the other four?
'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'

tarzan13

Postby tarzan13 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 16:00 pm

Hincapie's statement is a bit of a killer for Lance.... hope they sue the hell out of Lance...

bigdawg

Postby bigdawg » Wed Oct 10, 2012 16:00 pm

Coach H wrote:

Plenty said this would not happen but I notice he still has not said anything about USPS et al in this statement.

About two years ago, I was approached by US Federal investigators, and more recently by USADA, and asked to tell of my personal experience in these matters. I would have been much more comfortable talking only about myself, but understood that I was obligated to tell the truth about everything I knew. So that is what I did.

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Wed Oct 10, 2012 16:01 pm

Coach H wrote:

Not sure what you were expecting him to say specifically? He's admitted that he doped till 2006, and he says that he ended up having to talk about others when he talked about his own doping. Not sure what else he's going to say in his personal statement. All of the specifics that form his witness statement are part of the USADA case, not part of his personal statement, surely.

Coach H

Postby Coach H » Wed Oct 10, 2012 16:06 pm

Richmond Racer wrote:
Coach H wrote:

Not sure what you were expecting him to say specifically? He's admitted that he doped till 2006, and he says that he ended up having to talk about others when he talked about his own doping. Not sure what else he's going to say in his personal statement. All of the specifics that form his witness statement are part of the USADA case, not part of his personal statement, surely.

The personal statements of FLandis and Tyler specifically stated doping at USPS and that the Hog and Armstrong were directly involved. Obviously a damage limitation statement rather than a full and frank laying out of the facts concerning Hincapie personally.

LangerDan

Postby LangerDan » Wed Oct 10, 2012 16:09 pm

Hincapie's going to come out of this best, I reckon. Having retired, he can't undergo a worthwhile sanction, he doesn't have a high-profile palmares to be stripped and he made a sack of cash while riding for LA which is probably secure behind the statue of limitations even if anyone were to take an action.
'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'

Turfle

Postby Turfle » Wed Oct 10, 2012 16:10 pm

http://michaelbarry.ca/

"Recently, I was contacted by United States Anti-Doping Agency to testify in their investigation into the use of performance enhancing drugs on the United States Postal Service Team. I agreed to participate as it allowed me to explain my experiences, which I believe will help improve the sport for today’s youth who aspire to be tomorrow’s champions.

After being encouraged by the team, pressured to perform and pushed to my physical limits I crossed a line I promised myself and others I would not: I doped. It was a decision I deeply regret. It caused me sleepless nights, took the fun out of cycling and racing, and tainted the success I achieved at the time. This was not how I wanted to live or race".

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Wed Oct 10, 2012 16:12 pm

Coach H wrote:
Richmond Racer wrote:
Coach H wrote:

The personal statements of FLandis and Tyler specifically stated doping at USPS and that the Hog and Armstrong were directly involved. Obviously a damage limitation statement rather than a full and frank laying out of the facts concerning Hincapie personally.

There's going to be enough mud-slinging, recriminations and calls for wearing of sackcloth and ashes to satisfy everyone, I'm sure

frenchfighter

Postby frenchfighter » Wed Oct 10, 2012 16:14 pm

Not much respect for the guy. Wait until you retire then admit it and only then because it is coming out anyway.

All that dope and he still didn't win a Classic.
Contador is the Greatest

Return to “Pro Race”