Yates to confess??

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
Coach H

Yates to confess??

Postby Coach H » Wed Oct 10, 2012 21:27 pm

Should he?

In light of Barry's confession and Leinders [cough] departure [cough] should Yates confess in order to get all the skeletons out of the closet and really "move forward".

It would only do good wouldn't it? I mean does anybody think that he wasn't doping? Would it actually make a difference now for it to be confirmed? Wouldn't it remove a potential PR risk at a time when it would largely pass under the radar following the Blair Model of spin concerning ambarassing revalations?

I think there are more positives than negatives for sky and Yates in a confession at this time
Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')

gattocattivo

Re: Yates to confess??

Postby gattocattivo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 21:34 pm

In theory, yes, but in reality there's a certain amount of inflexibility in the stated Team Sky approach (cf. Dave Millar)

Coach H

Postby Coach H » Wed Oct 10, 2012 21:57 pm

gattocattivo wrote:In theory, yes, but in reality there's a certain amount of inflexibility in the stated Team Sky approach (cf. Dave Millar)

Riders; yes (Barry's retirement)
Staff; no

Eddie72

Postby Eddie72 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 22:08 pm

I'd really like to see it but I'm not holding my breath. What with Barry and the dodgy doctor I think Sky need to come up with a clear and transparent response to prevent this looking like the old days of don't ask don't tell

Coach H

Postby Coach H » Wed Oct 10, 2012 22:33 pm

Exactly Eddie, for transparency.
Lets face it, it would not be a revalation to the informed and would be lost in the furore sourounding Armstrong.

sherer

Postby sherer » Wed Oct 10, 2012 22:42 pm

isn't the sea change in cycling we need with people like Yates, Kelly and others being able to admit what went on in the past and then move forwards.

Le Commentateur

Postby Le Commentateur » Wed Oct 10, 2012 23:11 pm

Perhaps someone would like to ask him face to face at the hill climb on Sunday. :)

mfin

Postby mfin » Wed Oct 10, 2012 23:17 pm

itisaboutthebike

Postby itisaboutthebike » Thu Oct 11, 2012 00:13 am

Hey Yatesey - did yer dope ?

There ..............asked him.........
Bye bye Patty boy - you scumbag !

BigMat

Postby BigMat » Thu Oct 11, 2012 08:54 am

Problem for Yates is his doping involvement was probably more at a management level than a riding level. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and hope he left all that behind with Bruyneel & Co, but its still too close for comfort and I don't think he could confess to that and carry on working with Sky. Should he? Yes. Will he? NO.

This is all just speculation of course, Yates has always struck me as a decent guy and I fully apologise if there are no skeletons in his closet, I'm not sitting in judgment here in any event.

rebs

Postby rebs » Thu Oct 11, 2012 09:03 am

Thing is with this that didnt show in the past as much... Good guys doped also.

josame

Postby josame » Thu Oct 11, 2012 09:57 am

He just told 5Live ... I know nothing.. I see nothing

que?

ContrelaMontre

Postby ContrelaMontre » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:18 am

Yates should be sacked by Sky. He was on the management of a team with a proven institutionalised doping programme. If he'd come clean I'd be happy with a bit of truth and reconciliation, but as he won't admit the truth...
--------
Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster

rdt

Postby rdt » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:23 am

josame wrote:He just told 5Live ... I know nothing.. I see nothing

que?

It's one thing to say "I didn't do nuffink", but would require a leap into incredulity for me to accept that someone in and around the peloton in that era never heard nor saw anything.

So it's not a credible stance IMO, and therefore indicates how far the sport still has to travel, unfortunately, before people feel able to talk freely and openly.

Monty Dog

Postby Monty Dog » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:37 am

As Tyler's book testifies, discussions about doping was one of the main topics of conversation in the peloton - for anyone acting as a DS at that time to deny seeing / hearing anything is taking us for a bunch of fools. I think Sky should encourage team members to reveal-all - it'll get lost in the stink of the Armstrong case, they can then draw a line under it and move on. Alternatively, if they stay quiet and subsequently more information comes out that they were actively involved, sack-em for gross-misconduct?

I also believe that figureheads like Merckx, Kelly and Roche (in particular) need to speak-up otherwise they continue to reinforce the Omerta. Their denials look more ridiculous by the day.
Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..

Coach H

Postby Coach H » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:46 am

Monty Dog wrote:As Tyler's book testifies, discussions about doping was one of the main topics of conversation in the peloton - for anyone acting as a DS at that time to deny seeing / hearing anything is taking us for a bunch of fools. I think Sky should encourage team members to reveal-all - it'll get lost in the stink of the Armstrong case, they can then draw a line under it and move on. Alternatively, if they stay quiet and subsequently more information comes out that they were actively involved, sack-em for gross-misconduct?

I also believe that figureheads like Merckx, Kelly and Roche (in particular) need to speak-up otherwise they continue to reinforce the Omerta. Their denials look more ridiculous by the day.

Thanks Monty, this says everything I was trying to say in a more concise and succinct way.

Mccaria

Postby Mccaria » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:06 am

In some respects this is the outcome of the Sky zero tolerance approach. As I understand it, if Yates confesses (assuming he has something to confess of course !) then he is pretty much immediately out of a job. Therefore there is little upside for him in confessing and significant downside. In this instance the Garmin approach espoused by Vaughters is more pragmatic, by providing a team environment where riders and other staff members can be honest about their past involvement with drugs, as long as they commit to riding or supporting clean riding going forward.

There are benefits and drawbacks in both teams approaches, but for this particular question the zero tolerance approach of Sky has the affect of discouraging a member of staff from being candid about his past (assuming he has anything to be candid about !)

Pross

Postby Pross » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:08 am

Le Commentateur wrote:Perhaps someone would like to ask him face to face at the hill climb on Sunday. :)

Not much point, you'd never understand the answer. I reckon he doped and still is with some very strong skunk!

rebs

Postby rebs » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:12 am

The Sky approach is possibily afew years too early for the sport to cater too. But someone has to draw the line somewhere. Garmin possibly have the best approach but the manage went into this with first hand experience with doping. Sky have always acted very nieve with this. Unless they are hiding something which by all accounts is very unlikely.... Certainly cannot rule it out totally.

Yates isn't doing himself any favours acting so bone idle.

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:36 am

Pross wrote:
Le Commentateur wrote:Perhaps someone would like to ask him face to face at the hill climb on Sunday. :)

Not much point, you'd never understand the answer. I reckon he doped and still is with some very strong skunk!

Everyone knows he doped - its public record - he was popped in 89

Return to “Pro Race”