Greetings from Northern Ireland

New to this MTB'ing lark? Come on in...
moltryn

Re: Greetings from Northern Ireland

Postby moltryn » Sun Oct 07, 2012 17:41 pm

Yeah Mountsandel isn't really up to much at all - I only mentioned it cos it's a five mins cycle from the house here and grand for stretching the legs sometimes, and thought you are maybe in the Coleraine area!! Was at Garvagh this morning and it was great fun.. but I'm more into dh side of things and mainly ride at Binev' / B'Carton and Cave Hill.

97th choice

Postby 97th choice » Sun Oct 07, 2012 18:02 pm

Tried balinastoe in wick low on the w/e. Top, top place. Very technical and rocky but you can get some decent speed if you can thread the turns together. Devious trail builders discourage corner cutting and leave stumps at annoying, painful heights. If you fall off you WILL hit about a dozen rocks.
Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
Radon ZR 27.5 Race
Btwin Alur700
Merida CX500

screemin187

Postby screemin187 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 21:16 pm

@moltryn I'm in Galgorm (Ballymena) Aim to do Cavehill in the near future, i hear its very good

simey83

Postby simey83 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 13:14 pm

@Screemin178! I was at Tollymore on Saturday. Amazing! Next level ahhaha. Even did a really steep 8-10 feet drop (came off on the last attempt, hah) Its on the black trail somewhere near the bridge, on your left hand side. Look out for it!

Tell me, where are the pre made tracks? Purpose built ones for mtb? I have seen a video of them but couldnt find them.

Cheers

Greer_

Postby Greer_ » Tue Oct 09, 2012 17:05 pm

I've been out a few times now exploring round Belvoir, I've only found a few trails though and I'm averaging around 12 miles. Can someone give me directions to lady dixon from belvoir? I tried today using the directions on trailbadger but got lost :(

97th choice

Postby 97th choice » Tue Oct 09, 2012 20:53 pm

simey83 wrote:@Screemin178! I was at Tollymore on Saturday. Amazing! Next level ahhaha. Even did a really steep 8-10 feet drop (came off on the last attempt, hah) Its on the black trail somewhere near the bridge, on your left hand side. Look out for it!

Tell me, where are the pre made tracks? Purpose built ones for mtb? I have seen a video of them but couldnt find them.

Cheers

The one with the north shore drop that comes out near parnells bridge I'm guessing.

Giant Trance
Radon ZR 27.5 Race
Btwin Alur700
Merida CX500

simey83

Postby simey83 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:03 am

Greer_ wrote:I've been out a few times now exploring round Belvoir, I've only found a few trails though and I'm averaging around 12 miles. Can someone give me directions to lady dixon from belvoir? I tried today using the directions on trailbadger but got lost :(

Hi mate,

Ok, if you continue down the tow path, cross the red bridge at Lock Keepers, you will then come to a park type area, follow the bike lane on down and eventually round to the left, then go under the big bridge (where people go kayaking). After the bridge go up into the car park and through the gate (left ish) here you have to go up a road a wee bit (over speed bumps) and rejoin the path. Keep her lit (lagan on your left, eventually Malone golf club on your right) until you go under another bridge (Think there is graffiti on the bridge, 15 mins or so down the path, depends on how fast you're riding) as soon as you go under this bridge you have 3 options;

1. A narrow path on your right.
2. The main path in front of you.
3. A short path, up a hill on your left to the road.

Take number 3 and go left on the footpath. Lady Dixons is a few minutes up the road on your left.

Hope this is correct and helps, more than confuses :) you cant really get too lost as there is only one tow path :)

Also just before Malone golf club on your right hand side (coming from Belfast) is the forest at Mary Peters. There are some decent trails and jumps in there too.

Il probably be about there on Saturday if you want to meet and i can show you.

screemin187

Postby screemin187 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:34 am

@simey83 that drop you mentoined could be at the end of the bombhole trail, most of them are on youtube and worth checking out. We went with a guy who knows the forest well and some of the trails he took us on were quite overgrown and we would not have found them on our own. Yes its a fantastic place and i have heard a few people say that if you can ride Tollymore well you can tackle pretty much anywhere else in the UK

I personally found the climbing hard work although i'd say i was fairly fit and active. In saying that a lot of people were pushing bikes up. But the downhills were worth the climbs, would like to go back in a few months and try it again

Greer_

Postby Greer_ » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:58 am

Thanks very much, at least I was going in the right direction :lol: I'm not free until Sunday so I'll give it another go then but thanks for the offer. Have you noticed that when you're in the car park by shaws bridge and you go through the stile, there's a grass trail that goes of to the right? I'm pretty sure that this takes you to a path that leads to Mary Peters (I've been talking to others) but I got a bit confused trying to find Mary Peters from it! I've found out a bit more about those trails so I'll hopefully be able to find it! If not, I'll just go down the towpath like you said. Cheers :)

simey83

Postby simey83 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:26 am

screemin187 wrote:@simey83 that drop you mentoined could be at the end of the bombhole trail, most of them are on youtube and worth checking out. We went with a guy who knows the forest well and some of the trails he took us on were quite overgrown and we would not have found them on our own. Yes its a fantastic place and i have heard a few people say that if you can ride Tollymore well you can tackle pretty much anywhere else in the UK

I personally found the climbing hard work although i'd say i was fairly fit and active. In saying that a lot of people were pushing bikes up. But the downhills were worth the climbs, would like to go back in a few months and try it again

Yea mate that must be it! I was sh*ting myself :) Aye, i met a guy and he showed me another trail also, farther up from the bridge. Its a class place. Bit more practice and il be in good stead!

The climbs are brutal, but definitely worth it for the following downhills, ya get up some speed! Great exercise and fun at the same time, cant beat it. Il hopefully be back next weekend.

simey83

Postby simey83 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:30 am

Greer_ wrote:Thanks very much, at least I was going in the right direction :lol: I'm not free until Sunday so I'll give it another go then but thanks for the offer. Have you noticed that when you're in the car park by shaws bridge and you go through the stile, there's a grass trail that goes of to the right? I'm pretty sure that this takes you to a path that leads to Mary Peters (I've been talking to others) but I got a bit confused trying to find Mary Peters from it! I've found out a bit more about those trails so I'll hopefully be able to find it! If not, I'll just go down the towpath like you said. Cheers :)

Not sure about that bit mate, i just go the towpath! you will eventually get there!

As for Mary Peters, there is no "proper" way in from the towpath. There are a number of ways into the forest, you can take. Once youre in its kinda up to you to find the trails. Not hard though!

I could be out sunday too mate (depending on alcohol consumption :P), il let ya know on sat and sure we can meet up.

97th choice

Postby 97th choice » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:36 pm

screemin187 wrote:@simey83 that drop you mentoined could be at the end of the bombhole trail,

That has been seriously eroded over the years, it's nothing like it used to be!

If you start from the top of the bombhole trail and work back along the fireroad there at at least three to four other runs you can do. There are also another two if you head up the track opposite it.

Giant Trance
Radon ZR 27.5 Race
Btwin Alur700
Merida CX500

Greer_

Postby Greer_ » Thu Oct 11, 2012 15:30 pm

simey83 wrote:Not sure about that bit mate, i just go the towpath! you will eventually get there!

As for Mary Peters, there is no "proper" way in from the towpath. There are a number of ways into the forest, you can take. Once youre in its kinda up to you to find the trails. Not hard though!

I could be out sunday too mate (depending on alcohol consumption :P), il let ya know on sat and sure we can meet up.

Pm'd ya

roverthehill

Postby roverthehill » Thu Oct 11, 2012 20:02 pm

to hit mary peters go past shaws bridge. Once you go through the wooden gate, there is a wee path across the grass to the right that runs kinda parellel to the walking path down at the riverside. Head that way and keep going and should eventually get there....

Any yo folk do night rides?

Greer_

Postby Greer_ » Thu Oct 11, 2012 20:24 pm

Would love to but need lights! I wouldn't mind seeing the set up of others with those torches before I splash out. And thanks for that, I'm pretty sure I'll find it next time!

screemin187

Postby screemin187 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 20:15 pm

97th choice wrote:
screemin187 wrote:@simey83 that drop you mentoined could be at the end of the bombhole trail,

That has been seriously eroded over the years, it's nothing like it used to be!

If you start from the top of the bombhole trail and work back along the fireroad there at at least three to four other runs you can do. There are also another two if you head up the track opposite it.

Yes the drop into it is very worn in, maybe a good foot or two of a groove. Still good crack though. We did a few others but by the end of the day i was burned out. No idea what any of them were called or in what order but apparently we tackled most of them. After leaving Tollymore i went out and bought mtb glasses. Still have a few scrapes on me yet and that was a few weekends ago but the brambles wanted an eyeball as a keepsake

@rover thinking of heading out at night, haven't any lights as yet but would like to

Heading to Cavehill in the morning, see how it goes. Have a clicking/creaking crank tonight though. Went to lube but can't get the damn thing apart, need a puller i think

Return to “MTB Beginners”