ShutUpLegs

Re: Armstrong - my take on it

Postby ShutUpLegs » Wed Oct 10, 2012 21:38 pm

The moon landings never happened.
I Like Black Bikes

KentPhil

Postby KentPhil » Wed Oct 10, 2012 22:07 pm

I just don't get how he had all those hundreds of blood/urine tests and nothing was found. Doesn't this mean that the dope testing is pretty much meaningless. How many other slipped through the net?
1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed spec
2013 Cannondale Caadx
2004 Giant TCR

thegreatdivide

Postby thegreatdivide » Wed Oct 10, 2012 22:36 pm

KentPhil wrote:I just don't get how he had all those hundreds of blood/urine tests and nothing was found. Doesn't this mean that the dope testing is pretty much meaningless. How many other slipped through the net?

$$$
"Crevaison sur les paves..."

Grill

Postby Grill » Thu Oct 11, 2012 04:42 am

Ummm, you've missed the entire point of the USADA investigation, much like most out there. They don't care that Lance doped, they went after him because he was the kingpin in a huge doping ring. Seriously, that boy has his fingers in every pie in US cycling. Take a look and see where his financial interests lie and how many companies in which he sits on the board. There's a reason that Lance decided not to fight this, he didn't want all his dirty laundry to be aired publicly.

It's never been about him doping or stripping him of his TdF titles. The former has always been a foregone conclusion and the latter was simply a consequence of him being a very naughty boy. As has been mentioned its all about the money. In this life 99 questions out of 100 can be answered with money and this is no exception.
English Cycles V3 | Scott Plasma 3 TT | BMC TrackMachine TM01 | Ritchey Road Logic | Scott CX Team

xhacker

Postby xhacker » Thu Oct 11, 2012 05:29 am

Grill wrote:Ummm, you've missed the entire point of the USADA investigation, much like most out there. They don't care that Lance doped, they went after him because he was the kingpin in a huge doping ring. Seriously, that boy has his fingers in every pie in US cycling. Take a look and see where his financial interests lie and how many companies in which he sits on the board. There's a reason that Lance decided not to fight this, he didn't want all his dirty laundry to be aired publicly.

It's never been about him doping or stripping him of his TdF titles. The former has always been a foregone conclusion and the latter was simply a consequence of him being a very naughty boy. As has been mentioned its all about the money. In this life 99 questions out of 100 can be answered with money and this is no exception.

Agreed!

The untouchable has been touched!
He was right, it's not about the bike. It's all about the money (and power).
The world of cycling cannot seriously expect to continue under its present guise. If the UCI have told the truth and judging by the comments I've read, not many think they are. What the hell was their roll in this desperate, sordid recent history?
I seriously hope Kimmage has his say in Switzerland!

giant man

Postby giant man » Thu Oct 11, 2012 06:48 am

I do agree, he doesn't give a $hit about the actual racing or pro cycling in general imo. His recent comments, which was reported on road.cc just shows the absolute arrogance of the man.

http://road.cc/content/news/68569-lance ... -sanctions
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finding the right saddle is the holy grail for the cyclist, good luck, it may take some time .....

verylonglegs

Postby verylonglegs » Thu Oct 11, 2012 06:54 am

You are 44 and you use yawn as an expression like a teenager. Perhaps forget the blogging and concentrate on your cycling?

meesterbond

Postby meesterbond » Thu Oct 11, 2012 07:33 am

verylonglegs wrote:You are 44 and you use yawn as an expression like a teenager. Perhaps forget the blogging and concentrate on your cycling?

Or perhaps actually read some of the findings and then write something meaningful.

There should be enough in the USADA report to keep Armstrong in court for most of the next decade.

Mikey23

Postby Mikey23 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 08:57 am

My local gym has a couple of shiny new livestrong cycling machines with that lovely yellow logo on the side. Now I wonder who gets a kick back for that and on what basis that contract was awarded?

AchillesLeftKnee

Postby AchillesLeftKnee » Thu Oct 11, 2012 09:21 am

Grill wrote:Ummm, you've missed the entire point of the USADA investigation, much like most out there. They don't care that Lance doped, they went after him because he was the kingpin in a huge doping ring. Seriously, that boy has his fingers in every pie in US cycling. Take a look and see where his financial interests lie and how many companies in which he sits on the board. There's a reason that Lance decided not to fight this, he didn't want all his dirty laundry to be aired publicly.

There's more to it than that, I'd say. Reading that report, it seems to me the USADA were after the code of silence more than anything else. I may entirely wrong, but the following strikes me as a pretty good summary of it...

Drug testing and biological passports can't beat sophisticated and well planned doping. The dopers are always ahead, and will almost certainly remain so. However, staying ahead is beyond the means of a bloke shooting up in the bogs. Staying ahead requires the involvement of a large number of people - fellow competitors, team management, team employees, wives, friends, and those who'd tip the setup off regarding testing. We've got some of those people to talk, and not just about a nobody or someone who's dead, but about one of cycling's big dogs who's very much alive. We've done it once, and we'll do it again. So, do you want to keep doping?
Mangeur

Mikey23

Postby Mikey23 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 09:25 am

Good point well made

upperoilcan

Postby upperoilcan » Thu Oct 11, 2012 09:27 am

It's way bigger than Amrstrong alone...

The damage this has done to Road cycling in general is unrepairable..
Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.

boristhespie

Postby boristhespie » Thu Oct 11, 2012 09:40 am

Personally while I can't codone any drug taking I believe that this is a cultural issue within cycling and has been for years. As such I find it difficult to blame the riders who look at Hindcaappi's statement are between a rock and a hard place. This problem is the direct result of management, sponsors and the UCI who viewed cyclists as little more than machines and advertising hoardings and placed so much pressure on the riders and their bodies and expected so much that in all honesty the riders had huge pressures placed on them to perform and by extension become involved in drugs.

I mean so much drugs in one sports over so many years, you have to say there was a culture of it. The riders were at the mercy of ruthless facilitators.

Mikey23

Postby Mikey23 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 09:48 am

@spaniard... ok, ive looked at your blog. thanks for your opinion. one that ive heard many, many times before and makes little sense to me. i suspect that your view of the world (in this matter) is a little limited

hipshot

Postby hipshot » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:41 am

upperoilcan wrote:It's way bigger than Amrstrong alone...

Yet pro cycling is more popular than ever.

Fans seem quite able to accept - in the back of their minds at least - that their heroes are probably/possibly juiced and they still enjoy the sport anyway. Once we accept the obvious, that pro sport is about money, and that it has never been making more of it; we could be saying Crisis? What Crisis?

Cycling has never been the pristine showcase for human physical achievement that some seem to think it is. It's much more interesting than that.
Last edited by hipshot on Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

butcher of bakersfield

Postby butcher of bakersfield » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:24 am

upperoilcan wrote:It's way bigger than Amrstrong alone...

Is it? I think it's been a positive year. You can sense a turning point. In that there's no longer a pressure for racers to take drugs. There's now a pressure for them to NOT take drugs. Which can only be a good thing.

Or I could be naive. People have been saying this since the 60s, haven't they :?

Cannock Chase

Postby Cannock Chase » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:08 pm

Drug taking is cheating. Attempting to get an unfair advantage over your fellow competitors. Or perhaps with some it's simply being able to keep up and do your job. But cycling is by no means the only sport in which cheating is prevalent.

Take the biggest sport..... Football.
Cheating has become an integral part of the game. Diving with or without the slightest touch in order to get a penalty/freekick is cheating. Even match pundits sometimes criticise a player for NOT falling over in order to win a penalty. Attempting to con the referee is cheating. And how one player can try to get an opponent booked or sent off is totally beyond my understanding of sportsmanship. All cheating.

Cycling is not the only professional sport with its problems but at least it's trying to do something about it.
I'm not getting old... I'm just using lower gears......
Sirius - Steel Reynolds 631
Cove Handjob - Steel Columbus Nivacrom
Trek Madone - Carbon

LiamW

Postby LiamW » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:10 pm

Would he have won the TDF so many times had he not done what done? I'm not up to speed on what drugs do what and when, all i would be asking is if he had an ability to win a grand tour after he came back from testicular cancer?
2014 Giant Defy 2

LiamW

Postby LiamW » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:11 pm

Cannock Chase wrote:Drug taking is cheating. Attempting to get an unfair advantage over your fellow competitors. Or perhaps with some it's simply being able to keep up and do your job. But cycling is by no means the only sport in which cheating is prevalent.

Take the biggest sport..... Football.
Cheating has become an integral part of the game. Diving with or without the slightest touch in order to get a penalty/freekick is cheating. Even match pundits sometimes criticise a player for NOT falling over in order to win a penalty. Attempting to con the referee is cheating. And how one player can try to get an opponent booked or sent off is totally beyond my understanding of sportsmanship. All cheating.

Cycling is not the only professional sport with its problems but at least it's trying to do something about it.

Drugs in cycling has been there since the 60's. Why has it taken to 2012 to do something about it as you say?
2014 Giant Defy 2

Return to “Road General”