Drifting through the corners.

Got a general MTB question that doesn't fit anywhere else? Here's the place.
Irvs

Drifting through the corners.

Postby Irvs » Tue Oct 09, 2012 14:43 pm

I've been watching loads of vid and plays of the riders seem to drift or flick the back wheel mid corner and personally it looks good but maybe not so much when racing. I'm just wondering how they do this, I've been trying but just can't make it flick out.

cooldad

Re: Drifting through the corners.

Postby cooldad » Tue Oct 09, 2012 17:20 pm

Go faster
I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

sanchez89

Postby sanchez89 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 17:47 pm

probably a sharp dab of rear brake, then be ready to 'catch' the slide and hold it without it ******* you off the other way.

if you go absolutly balls out into a really loose corner and weight the front heavy it will probably go aswell
2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
Clank wrote:M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.

bluechair84

Postby bluechair84 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 18:00 pm

Try it on loose shale. At a slow pace, turn slightly, but sharply and push with your heel to whip the back wheel out slightly. Weight on the front wheel will help. When doing it at higher speeds into fast bermed corners, remember to tilt the bike beneath you, don't lean like a motoGP racer. It's much easier to catch and hold a slide this way.

Irvs

Postby Irvs » Tue Oct 09, 2012 20:50 pm

Cheers for the tips lads il be giving it some practice.

Thanks neil

ilovedirt

Postby ilovedirt » Tue Oct 09, 2012 22:27 pm

sanchez89 wrote:probably a sharp dab of rear brake, then be ready to 'catch' the slide and hold it without it ******* you off the other way.

if you go absolutly balls out into a really loose corner and weight the front heavy it will probably go aswell

This, doesn't really work in really compacted corners like trail centres, but it's silly fun on looser trails. Not very fast though :roll:
Saracen Ariel 151

B'Twin Triban 5

jairaj

Postby jairaj » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:05 am

The proper way is to use weight transfer. Shift your weight to the front of bike, this un-weights the back end allowing it to break traction and slide round while using your hips and legs to push the back end round. Helps to learn on loose gravel or muddy conditions where you are traction limited at the best of times.

The cheat way is to use the rear brake to skid round the corner.

Irvs

Postby Irvs » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:57 pm

I had a wee go on some fire roads last night between trails, fun trying it though seemed to work better if I give it a dab of the back brake also, as mentioned. Ill just have to keep practicing.

Cheers lads.

jairaj

Postby jairaj » Wed Oct 10, 2012 13:12 pm

TBH I wouldn't actually bother to learn to drift. It just comes naturally as you go faster, I would concentrate on learning good cornering technique and practice getting faster and the drifting will just happen.

I guess Cooldad summarised it well:
cooldad wrote:Go faster

bluechair84

Postby bluechair84 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 14:35 pm

jairaj wrote:TBH I wouldn't actually bother to learn to drift. It just comes naturally as you go faster, I would concentrate on learning good cornering technique and practice getting faster and the drifting will just happen.

But only if you have the correct position on the bike. Somethings are very hard to achieve or control if you don't. And that doesn't come naturally to everyone. Manuals are another thing that can't just be learnt naturally through riding lots, if you developed a style different to the technique, you'll find it very hard.

Northwind

Postby Northwind » Wed Oct 10, 2012 15:25 pm

Drifting by back braking is a good way to practice the feeling, but please don't do it when you're out riding, it's a quick way to make holes in the trail.
Uncompromising extremist

cooldad

Postby cooldad » Wed Oct 10, 2012 16:47 pm

bluechair84 wrote:
jairaj wrote:TBH I wouldn't actually bother to learn to drift. It just comes naturally as you go faster, I would concentrate on learning good cornering technique and practice getting faster and the drifting will just happen.

But only if you have the correct position on the bike. Somethings are very hard to achieve or control if you don't. And that doesn't come naturally to everyone. Manuals are another thing that can't just be learnt naturally through riding lots, if you developed a style different to the technique, you'll find it very hard.

Very true. I was being a bit facetious. I don't mind the back kicking out a bit but being both a coward and delicate I prefer my wheels planted and as close to the ground as possible.
Even on little jumps (I don't do big ones) when other people are flying I tend to push into the slope and hardly get any air.
Throwback to my MX days when I was taught that whenever the back wheel is spinning or off the ground you're losing traction and hence speed.
A pic of me from those days :
I don't do smileys.

Parktools

peter413

Postby peter413 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 17:00 pm

If you're using the brakes it's skidding, not drifting. And as has already been said, please don't do it on the trails, it rips them up. There are exceptions when it's acceptable, mostly when it's your own little trail that you built.

A word of warning though, if you do it a lot you will find you go through bushings and frame bearings very quickly, especially if you do a lot of cutties. That's assuming you're on a full suspension bike.
Last edited by peter413 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 17:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dirtydog11

Postby Dirtydog11 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 17:25 pm

Slack head angle and a long front centre will help, less likely to end up over the bars.

Not sure I'd want to try it on a XC type bike.

Irvs

Postby Irvs » Wed Oct 10, 2012 20:30 pm

Thanks again for the tips, I know the score no skidding on the trails, it's just really for fun on the fire roads between trails.

Neil.

DannyUK

Postby DannyUK » Wed Oct 10, 2012 20:40 pm

All the gear, loads of fear...

bluechair84

Postby bluechair84 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 20:41 pm

cooldad wrote:
bluechair84 wrote:

Very true. I was being a bit facetious. I don't mind the back kicking out a bit but being both a coward and delicate I prefer my wheels planted and as close to the ground as possible.
Even on little jumps (I don't do big ones) when other people are flying I tend to push into the slope and hardly get any air.
Throwback to my MX days when I was taught that whenever the back wheel is spinning or off the ground you're losing traction and hence speed.
A pic of me from those days :

That's incredible...

Why did the Flinstones have motorised bikes but not cars!?

And correct me if I'm wrong, but is the suspension on that front end not dissimilar to a torsion beam? Seriously advanced bit of kit that!

cooldad

Postby cooldad » Wed Oct 10, 2012 21:33 pm

Yeah but the lack of damping sucks.
I don't do smileys.

Parktools

an_original_name

Postby an_original_name » Thu Oct 11, 2012 08:15 am

DannyUK wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzWLOjXaaAs

Cutty?

i was riding that trail today. awesome fun!

lochussie

Postby lochussie » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:47 pm

All I can do is agree, the few times I have drifted I have been really forcing myself to go into a corner faster than I think is a good idea. Feels great though. In the pro vids, I especially like it when they drift the rear end out the opposite way as they go to the outside on the approach to a corner then the other way through the corner.

Return to “MTB General”