Yates to confess??

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
Eddie72

Re: Yates to confess??

Postby Eddie72 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:49 am

I was disappointed with Yates on 5Live this morning, although I'm perhaps not surprised. His answers were along the lines of "all I did was drive the car and sometimes tell people what to do on the road". I think he's only getting away with it because the general media don't know enough to ask the probing questions. Like a lot of people I admired Yates as a rider and I think he still carries a lot of respect in the cycling community, a confession from him would mean a lot.

itisaboutthebike

Postby itisaboutthebike » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:54 am

Everyone knows he doped - its public record - he was popped in 89

So why is he working at Sky ?
Bye bye Patty boy - you scumbag !

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:01 pm

itisaboutthebike wrote:
Everyone knows he doped - its public record - he was popped in 89

So why is he working at Sky ?

That's a question for DB and Sky...

RichN95

Postby RichN95 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:12 pm

It seems to me that some people are very disappointed not to see Yates's name anywhere in the evidence. All those sharpened axes and nowhere to use them. All this evidence with plenty of teams looking directly involved in doping, but you need to hark back to a little pill popping back in the 80s.

Sky's only real crime was to naively set their standards too high at the start and not being omniscient when recruiting. I'm sure they'd do it like Garmin if they could start again. But they can't so some will criticise from their high horse even if they think they're clean. You're making them same mistake they made and being stupidly idealistic.

Either you think they are doping or not. If you think they are then bash away, but if you don't then stop using the 'transparency' excuse to undermine their efforts. If some of their staff did things 10 or 20 years ago, it's mostly irrelevant, what they do now is important.
Twitter: @RichN95

LeicesterLad

Postby LeicesterLad » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:14 pm

RichN95 wrote:It seems to me that some people are very disappointed not to see Yates's name anywhere in the evidence. All those sharpened axes and nowhere to use them. All this evidence with plenty of teams looking directly involved in doping, but you need to hark back to a little pill popping back in the 80s.

Sky's only real crime was to naively set their standards too high at the start and not being omniscient when recruiting. I'm sure they'd do it like Garmin if they could start again. But they can't so some will criticise from their high horse even if they think they're clean. You're making them same mistake they made and being stupidly idealistic.

Either you think they are doping or not. If you think they are then bash away, but if you don't then stop using the 'transparency' excuse to undermine their efforts. If some of their staff did things 10 or 20 years ago, it's mostly irrelevant, what they do now is important.

Which includes their reaction to the situation, which has been poor.

RichN95

Postby RichN95 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:20 pm

LeicesterLad wrote:
RichN95 wrote:It seems to me that some people are very disappointed not to see Yates's name anywhere in the evidence. All those sharpened axes and nowhere to use them. All this evidence with plenty of teams looking directly involved in doping, but you need to hark back to a little pill popping back in the 80s.

Perhaps Brailsford should have said absolutely nothing like every other team boss.

Dowsett is a confused kid who was probably exposed to a fair bit of propaganda at LB.
Twitter: @RichN95

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:23 pm

I do agree. I think there is a lot of attacking Sky from a moral ground that if it was any higher, would induce vertigo. But I do think that Brailsford needs to change the way in which he's addressing things, sharpish, or lose a lot of credibility - which is turn will start to reflect on his riders. For instance Sean Yates should not have been allowed to do that radio interview this am - if only cos he's hard to understand at the best of times :wink:

Thats more where I'm coming from.

LeicesterLad

Postby LeicesterLad » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:25 pm

RichN95 wrote:
LeicesterLad wrote:

Perhaps Brailsford should have said absolutely nothing like every other team boss.

Dowsett is a confused kid who was probably exposed to a fair bit of propaganda at LB.

Brailsford probably should have kept his gob shut until he thought of something constructive to say. Dowsett I agree.

As for Yates's notion of 'saw nothing, heard nothing' that just shows what a slithering sh*t he is. He really expects anybody to believe that sh*t? He was at US Postal and Astana, he was in 'the' era. The blokes a liar and Sky should offload him asap.

jibberjim

Postby jibberjim » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:31 pm

Richmond Racer wrote:I do agree. I think there is a lot of attacking Sky from a moral ground that if it was any higher, would induce vertigo. But I do think that Brailsford needs to change the way in which he's addressing things, sharpish, or lose a lot of credibility - which is turn will start to reflect on his riders.

Surely Sky's problem is one of gross incompetence - atrocious media training of riders, atrocious management of stories, poor choices of staff etc. So how does such an incompetent organisation get so much success?
Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/

Dave_1

Postby Dave_1 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:42 pm

I thought Yates was a totally selfless pro who worked for others his whole career. I don't have the contempt for him many appear to have. It's a shame he won't confess though..but go easy on him. He had a great career that he gained little from for his efforts and ended up a landscape gardener to turn a buck. He also has a heart complaint which is probably down to what he did to his body. That was the era he raced in
Last edited by Dave_1 on Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ContrelaMontre

Postby ContrelaMontre » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:42 pm

Doping would be one way to overcome ineptitude...
--------
Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster

Pross

Postby Pross » Thu Oct 11, 2012 13:17 pm

Maybe Yates genuinely didn't see anything. Maybe they kept things hidden from anyone within the team who didn't need to know. I'm sure he would have suspected and is being at best a little careful with the truth but maybe he didn't actually see it with his own eyes (just to plpay devil's advocate).

andyp

Postby andyp » Thu Oct 11, 2012 13:18 pm

I know he gives the impression of being thick, but I don't think he's blind or deaf.

ThomThom

Postby ThomThom » Thu Oct 11, 2012 13:19 pm

Pross wrote:Maybe Yates genuinely didn't see anything. Maybe they kept things hidden from anyone within the team who didn't need to know. I'm sure he would have suspected and is being at best a little careful with the truth but maybe he didn't actually see it with his own eyes (just to plpay devil's advocate).

The link with Motoman pretty much buries that theory.

Gazzaputt

Postby Gazzaputt » Thu Oct 11, 2012 13:56 pm

The most level headed posting of today. Chapeau sir.

chipperleenie

Postby chipperleenie » Thu Oct 11, 2012 15:37 pm

What about Michael Rogers too, he is heavily implicated in being involved with training camps for EPO with Ferrari (Or should I say shumi - just to keep him unkown!)

itisaboutthebike

Postby itisaboutthebike » Thu Oct 11, 2012 18:46 pm

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/yates-denies-seeing-anything-dodgy-at-discovery-channel-in-2005

SY - you're an ar*sehole
Bye bye Patty boy - you scumbag !

finchy

Postby finchy » Thu Oct 11, 2012 18:54 pm

So what should Yates say? Even if he just says that he knew what was going on but was not actively engaged in the team's doping programme, he would get kicked off the Sky management team and probably never work in cycling again. He's not exactly young enough to start a new career and probably isn't as rich as some of the others who were riding for USPS/Disco at the time, so he'd be completely and utterly f'ked.

It's OK for people to sit here on a forum calling him names, but in his place I'd probably shut up as well.

Slim Boy Fat

Postby Slim Boy Fat » Thu Oct 11, 2012 18:55 pm

jibberjim wrote:
Richmond Racer wrote:I do agree. I think there is a lot of attacking Sky from a moral ground that if it was any higher, would induce vertigo. But I do think that Brailsford needs to change the way in which he's addressing things, sharpish, or lose a lot of credibility - which is turn will start to reflect on his riders.

Surely Sky's problem is one of gross incompetence - atrocious media training of riders, atrocious management of stories, poor choices of staff etc. So how does such an incompetent organisation get so much success?

Probably because they are far from incompetent.

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Thu Oct 11, 2012 18:56 pm

But the Forum and Twitter and Media moral majority want heads...the flaming torches and pitchforks are on the march... :roll:

Return to “Pro Race”