Scottish Highlands. Expert advice wanted.

Where the wild things are...
DaveMoss

Re: Scottish Highlands. Expert advice wanted.

Postby DaveMoss » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:26 pm

you could join us on an organised tour and not have to carry your luggage. see http://www.tearfundcycling.btck.co.uk But it sounds like solitude is part of the attraction for you, so perhaps not.

Climbing Ben Nevis is one of those things we outdoor types have to do, but it's more a punishment than a pleasure. There are many many better hill climbs in the highlands.
Loch ness is definatly not one of the highlands best bits (but would be in most other countries)
Isle of Skye is spectacular, but so is everywhere else on the west coast. i think Mull is a better bike ride. The Outer Hebridies are just magical on a bike, partly because the bikes often outnumber the cars on the ferry over.
Sportives and tours, 100% for charity, http://www.tearfundcycling.btck.co.uk

andrew_s

Postby andrew_s » Wed Oct 10, 2012 13:53 pm

DaveMoss wrote:Climbing Ben Nevis is one of those things we outdoor types have to do, but it's more a punishment than a pleasure. There are many many better hill climbs in the highlands.

Nevis is also good, provided you do it using the correct route via Carn Mor Dearg.
It's just the standard route that's dull.

DaveMoss

Postby DaveMoss » Thu Oct 11, 2012 22:50 pm

To be honest, I overstated the negative for Ben Nevis. Even the standard tourist route is a good experience. Especially if you do it when there is a lot of daylight and set of in the afternoon, arriving at the top when most others have left.
The Carn Mor Dearg route looks like it would be really good, it was shrouded in mist mist when I tried, so I stuck to the tourist highway; my navigation is rubbish. But I do think the likes of Beinn Eighe make for a better experience. I did that and the Bealach na ba sportive over the same weekend, twas fantastic.
Sportives and tours, 100% for charity, http://www.tearfundcycling.btck.co.uk

Cannock Chase

Postby Cannock Chase » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:07 pm

Lots of good advice given. All I would add is to cut down the daily milage. To me you want to see the countryside not just pass through it. Remember everytime you stop for a break or to take photographs of which hopefully there will be plenty, your average speed drops. Unless I needed to do a certain distance to reach my nights stop, I personally would aim for 30-40 miles at most. You can always revisit another time.

StorckSpeed wrote:Best piece of advice I could give is the following;
Set off and camp your first night about 2 or 3 miles from your house. That way you can quickly zoom home and get all the essentials you forgot to pack.

Wonderful advice. After all these years I'd never thought of that...
I'm not getting old... I'm just using lower gears......
Sirius - Steel Reynolds 631
Cove Handjob - Steel Columbus Nivacrom
Trek Madone - Carbon

Return to “Tour & Expedition”