Jobs for the weekend?

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
User avatar
mudcow007
Posts: 3605
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 18:06 pm

Jobs for the weekend?

Postby mudcow007 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 14:22 pm

so what you all doing this weekend?

i'm told (by my foreman - aka my mrs) i am laying a gravel path through the garden an up the side of the house over the weekend, oh an also building a wardrobe to enclose the boiler in

anyone else got plans?
Keeping it classy since '83

User avatar
walkingbootweather
Posts: 2348
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2005 13:07 pm

Re: Jobs for the weekend?

Postby walkingbootweather » Fri Oct 12, 2012 14:25 pm

mudcow007 wrote:so what you all doing this weekend?

i'm told (by my foreman - aka my mrs) i am laying a gravel path through the garden an up the side of the house over the weekend, oh an also building a wardrobe to enclose the boiler in

anyone else got plans?


That's not a very nice way to talk about your good wife.

Sounds as if you are a better layer than DrLex's chickens. :?
Nobody told me we had a communication problem

FoldingJoe
Posts: 1171
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 18:31 pm

Re: Jobs for the weekend?

Postby FoldingJoe » Fri Oct 12, 2012 14:35 pm

Give the kitchen work surfaces a rub down and re-oil. Christ, they need it.

Could do with doing the window frames as well, but it's too cold outside, and it'll eat into my cycling time. :)

Anybody recommend the best way to prep wooden surfaces for oiling?

Cheers,
FJ
Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807

User avatar
Koncordski
Posts: 974
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 15:55 pm

Re: Jobs for the weekend?

Postby Koncordski » Fri Oct 12, 2012 14:35 pm

I'm tasked with clearing out the garage with a couple of runs to the tip, then i have to 'finish' the kitchen by rubbing down and painting the door frames and window sill. I personally think the next person to live there can do it and it has a certain shabby chic look which is very en vogue, but what do i know? How come they get to go on sex strike anyway?
----------------
#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
#2 Boeris Italia race steel
#3 Scott CR1 SL
#4 Trek 1.1 commuter
#5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)

User avatar
rubertoe
Posts: 3965
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 17:14 pm

Re: Jobs for the weekend?

Postby rubertoe » Fri Oct 12, 2012 14:38 pm

Admin for me - Bills, filling, etc. Bit of a coffee break in the afternoon somwhere and then out.

So no real jobs for me (I bet she has something else planned though).
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

msmancunia
Posts: 1384
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 09:10 am

Re: Jobs for the weekend?

Postby msmancunia » Fri Oct 12, 2012 14:50 pm

Working at a CBeebies Mr Bloom event in Sheffield on Saturday. I'm the designated first aider, and I'm also in charge of the small petting animals exhibit and the beehive (even though I'm bee-phobic). So I'll either be running away from stray bees, or snapping at children who've got nipped by a ferret or something.

On Sunday I'm making a wooden garden gate and some coffee and walnut cake :-)
Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity

flimflam_machine
Posts: 259
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 14:26 pm

Re: Jobs for the weekend?

Postby flimflam_machine » Fri Oct 12, 2012 14:51 pm

FoldingJoe wrote:Give the kitchen work surfaces a rub down and re-oil. Christ, they need it.

Could do with doing the window frames as well, but it's too cold outside, and it'll eat into my cycling time. :)

Anybody recommend the best way to prep wooden surfaces for oiling?

Cheers,
FJ

Bizarrely already bindun over in Commuting General

User avatar
iPete
Posts: 5486
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 14:20 pm

Re: Jobs for the weekend?

Postby iPete » Fri Oct 12, 2012 14:57 pm

tempted to chase people around london dressed like a zombie http://2.8hourslater.com/

but more likely to be found on the sofa relaxing with a hangover

User avatar
The Fuggler
Posts: 1211
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 13:52 pm

Re: Jobs for the weekend?

Postby The Fuggler » Fri Oct 12, 2012 15:00 pm

msmancunia wrote:Working at a CBeebies Mr Bloom event in Sheffield on Saturday. I'm the designated first aider, and I'm also in charge of the small petting animals exhibit and the beehive (even though I'm bee-phobic). So I'll either be running away from stray bees, or snapping at children who've got nipped by a ferret or something.


Tending to a swelling in Mr Bloom's vegetable patch, eh? I know a number of Mums who would kill for that opportunity....
FCN 3 / 4

User avatar
mudcow007
Posts: 3605
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 18:06 pm

Re: Jobs for the weekend?

Postby mudcow007 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 15:04 pm

flimflam_machine wrote:
FoldingJoe wrote:Give the kitchen work surfaces a rub down and re-oil. Christ, they need it.

Could do with doing the window frames as well, but it's too cold outside, and it'll eat into my cycling time. :)

Anybody recommend the best way to prep wooden surfaces for oiling?

Cheers,
FJ

Bizarrely already bindun over in Commuting General


the company i work for make bespoken oak furniture (no we arnt oak warehouse or what ever they are called) but these guys use something called Osmo

Linky
Keeping it classy since '83

User avatar
itboffin
Posts: 16614
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 23:54 pm
Contact:

Re: Jobs for the weekend?

Postby itboffin » Fri Oct 12, 2012 15:04 pm

Getting up late, riding bikes, drinking beer and watching TV in that order x 2 days thanks very much.
Rule #5 // Harden The fark Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

FoldingJoe
Posts: 1171
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 18:31 pm

Re: Jobs for the weekend?

Postby FoldingJoe » Fri Oct 12, 2012 15:11 pm

mudcow007 wrote:
flimflam_machine wrote:
FoldingJoe wrote:Give the kitchen work surfaces a rub down and re-oil. Christ, they need it.

Could do with doing the window frames as well, but it's too cold outside, and it'll eat into my cycling time. :)

Anybody recommend the best way to prep wooden surfaces for oiling?

Cheers,
FJ

Bizarrely already bindun over in Commuting General


the company i work for make bespoken oak furniture (no we arnt oak warehouse or what ever they are called) but these guys use something called Osmo

Linky


Yeah, we've got Osmo for the window frames and some Danish oil or other for the kitchen surfaces.

Just not sure on the best way to prep the wood for oiling, but will check out the links.

Ta
Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807

msmancunia
Posts: 1384
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 09:10 am

Re: Jobs for the weekend?

Postby msmancunia » Fri Oct 12, 2012 15:14 pm

The Fuggler wrote:
msmancunia wrote:Working at a CBeebies Mr Bloom event in Sheffield on Saturday. I'm the designated first aider, and I'm also in charge of the small petting animals exhibit and the beehive (even though I'm bee-phobic). So I'll either be running away from stray bees, or snapping at children who've got nipped by a ferret or something.


Tending to a swelling in Mr Bloom's vegetable patch, eh? I know a number of Mums who would kill for that opportunity....


I just googled - I had no idea : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvan ... cing.html#

Maybe I'll have to be a bouncer to keep them all at a safe distance.
Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity

User avatar
Il Principe
Posts: 10401
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 10:37 am

Re: Jobs for the weekend?

Postby Il Principe » Fri Oct 12, 2012 15:15 pm

Getting up early, riding my bike and playing Dishonored (sic).

User avatar
TailWindHome
Posts: 10568
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 08:57 am

Re: Jobs for the weekend?

Postby TailWindHome » Fri Oct 12, 2012 15:16 pm

Never has my brownie point account been so much in credit

Saturday = Nothing.
Sunday = Nothing.
"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? IS THIS NOT WHY YOU ARE HERE?"

User avatar
The Fuggler
Posts: 1211
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 13:52 pm

Re: Jobs for the weekend?

Postby The Fuggler » Fri Oct 12, 2012 15:24 pm

Il Principe wrote:Getting up early, riding my bike and playing Dishonored (sic).


I'm tempted by Dishonored - be interested to hear your thoughts...
FCN 3 / 4

User avatar
walkingbootweather
Posts: 2348
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2005 13:07 pm

Re: Jobs for the weekend?

Postby walkingbootweather » Fri Oct 12, 2012 15:24 pm

TailWindHome wrote:Never has my brownie point account been so much in credit

Saturday = Nothing.
Sunday = Nothing.


Surely you'll have to 'clear those tubes' at some stage? :wink:
Nobody told me we had a communication problem

User avatar
Kieran_Burns
Posts: 9834
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 13:14 pm

Re: Jobs for the weekend?

Postby Kieran_Burns » Fri Oct 12, 2012 15:27 pm

The Fuggler wrote:
Il Principe wrote:Getting up early, riding my bike and playing Dishonored (sic).


I'm tempted by Dishonored - be interested to hear your thoughts...


+1


Oh and I'm going to be cleaning up the (unavoidable) mess left by the guys who had to dig up the mains feed into my house as it had finally given up the ghost.

It turns out that when the mains was relaid some pratt clipped the cable coming into the house. This would explain the unexpected brown outs I've been experiencing since moving here.

Hey ho.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

User avatar
rjsterry
Posts: 8506
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 18:26 pm

Re: Jobs for the weekend?

Postby rjsterry » Fri Oct 12, 2012 15:56 pm

FoldingJoe wrote:
mudcow007 wrote:
flimflam_machine wrote:
FoldingJoe wrote:Give the kitchen work surfaces a rub down and re-oil. Christ, they need it.

Could do with doing the window frames as well, but it's too cold outside, and it'll eat into my cycling time. :)

Anybody recommend the best way to prep wooden surfaces for oiling?

Cheers,
FJ

Bizarrely already bindun over in Commuting General


the company i work for make bespoken oak furniture (no we arnt oak warehouse or what ever they are called) but these guys use something called Osmo

Linky


Yeah, we've got Osmo for the window frames and some Danish oil or other for the kitchen surfaces.

Just not sure on the best way to prep the wood for oiling, but will check out the links.

Ta



Osmo's good stuff. We spec it routinely.

Me? It's the youngest's 1st birthday (already!?) and we seem to have invited about 30 friends and family :shock: Hope the rain holds off, or it is going to get very cozy at Chez RJS.
1997 Giant Peloton 7200 - FCN 4 (5 if it looks like rain)
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

"Be there, eat sausages, gain ultimate respect"

mroli
Posts: 3443
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 15:09 pm

Re: Jobs for the weekend?

Postby mroli » Fri Oct 12, 2012 16:32 pm

Building a Condor Italia (bought for a mate off of here), with Tiagra, Planet X Model B's or Aksiums and other random bits I have floating round the house. Recabling my winter bike (cables are so worn the outers have started to crack). Truing single speed wheels, replacing brake pads. Gluing some tubs. Working out where the squeak is on my race bike and sorting out the saddle position.

No doubt the missus has me down for some tasks that benefit the rest of the family too...


Return to “Commuting Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests