Winter Bike - Advice needed...

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
KentPuncheur

Winter Bike - Advice needed...

Postby KentPuncheur » Fri Oct 12, 2012 14:57 pm

Hi guys,

I'm in the market for a solid winter training bike that can also stomach turbo work (I want to keep my carbon frame for best after upgrading all the transmission from Shim 105 to Ultegra). I've been recommended by existing owners the Ribble 7005 Winter Trainer. Using their special edition bike builder tool I can get the bike with ITM Aero 2.4 wheels, ITM alutech finishing kit and Shim Tiagra for £669 (note - with Shim SPD pedals). It seems the perfect choice for the job required

On the other hand...I've found this, a Moser Speed 105, equiped with Shim 105, Fulcrum 7s, and FSA finishing kit (presumably low end of their spec) but no pedals for £605. It markets itself as a winter trainer, though I've never reallty heard anyone's experiences with Moser bikes, or this bike in particular. It's a lower price for a higher spec, so it seems like a better option to the Ribble, but should I risk the unknown element of the Moser over slight improvements in the spec department over the trusted Ribble frame?

What do you think guys?

Cheers.
2011 Trek Madone 3.1c
2012 Ribble 7005 Winter Trainer

Dolor transit, gloria aeterna est.

KentPuncheur

Re: Winter Bike - Advice needed...

Postby KentPuncheur » Fri Oct 12, 2012 14:57 pm

2011 Trek Madone 3.1c
2012 Ribble 7005 Winter Trainer

Dolor transit, gloria aeterna est.

Grill

Postby Grill » Fri Oct 12, 2012 15:08 pm

Get the Moser before its sold out. Much better deal for nicer kit.
English Cycles V3 | Scott Plasma 3 TT | BMC TrackMachine TM01 | Ritchey Road Logic | Scott CX Team

Bobbinogs

Postby Bobbinogs » Fri Oct 12, 2012 15:13 pm

I would get the one that I could fit a decent set of mudguards onto with 25mm tyres. If I bought a specific winter bike then I wouldn't put up with the temp workarounds, like Crud, squeezed into small spaces and limited tyre choice. Disc brakes would be a good idea for really wet days but not essential. I personally would worry too much about spec, Tiagra/105 won't be too much of a difference when you are riding into a headwind and it is piffing down.

Might be worth looking at cross bikes, pretty much built for winter and fast with it.

TommyEss

Postby TommyEss » Fri Oct 12, 2012 15:36 pm

I went for a specific winter bike last year - ended up with a Ridgeback Platinum with £200 off - came with full guards fitted, full 105 compact, sturdy 32 spoke wheels, and takes 25c tyres no problem. Not lustworthy, but very capable.
Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...

unixnerd

Postby unixnerd » Fri Oct 12, 2012 22:38 pm

If you want a bargain look on ebay for a Cannondale CAAD5. They had a carbon fork but still had proper mounts and clearance for full mudguards. The rear mounting hole doubles up fine for mounting a rack (Tortec Velocity, only 280g). I built mine up with second hand Dura-Ace 7800 and use Ultregra wheels. Weighs about 8kg and cost me very little, awfully fast.

I leave it in Aberdeen and use it during the week in all weathers. After work I put my office clothes in a pannier and go for a good pedal in the country.
http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!

Return to “Road Buying Advice”