Triple - retro fitting a double?? (Campag)

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
targa_man

Triple - retro fitting a double?? (Campag)

Postby targa_man » Fri Oct 12, 2012 14:25 pm

I want to run a compact double 95% of the time but occasionally a triple would be useful for touring.

On a new bike, if I get it built with the new Campag Athena groupset and then retro fit a compact double chainset (also from the latest Athena range) - will I have any issues or other changes to make? (eg bottom bracket??)

I'm figuring that a triple FD will also be able to move a double chainset (but not the other way around i.e. double FD trying to move a triple chainset).

(- and yes, I'd have to be careful re which cage length I choose and perhaps adjust chain length etc)

thecycleclinic

Re: Triple - retro fitting a double?? (Campag)

Postby thecycleclinic » Fri Oct 12, 2012 14:42 pm

Why not get the new bike built with a compat double chainset and 12-29T Athena cassette. That surely will give you enough range. With a med cage mech you will be able to switch to a 12-25T Athena without much issue unless you are in small/small. You could buy two chains size both differently and join with a KMC re-usable 11 speed link and keep one for the 12-29T cassette and the other for the 12-25T.

Changing cassettes is easier and cheaper than changing cranksets. Also as Athena uses power torque expensive tools are needed to remove the crankset.
http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.

targa_man

Postby targa_man » Fri Oct 12, 2012 15:38 pm

thecycleclinic wrote:Why not get the new bike built with a compat double chainset and 12-29T Athena cassette. That surely will give you enough range. With a med cage mech you will be able to switch to a 12-25T Athena without much issue unless you are in small/small. You could buy two chains size both differently and join with a KMC re-usable 11 speed link and keep one for the 12-29T cassette and the other for the 12-25T.

Changing cassettes is easier and cheaper than changing cranksets. Also as Athena uses power torque expensive tools are needed to remove the crankset.

Yes - that would definitely be my preference, but I can also foresee situations (albeit very infrequent) where that gearing, even with a 12-29 cassette, would not be adequate for hauling me, plus loaded panniers over a mountain pass. One way around this, if it works technically, would be to stick a SRAM 11-32 10-speed cassette on the back for those trips (if & when they occur). Have you any idea if that would work reasonably smoothly? - i.e. SRAM 11-32 10 speed cassette on 11 speed Athena groupset (with a medium or long cage)

Monty Dog

Postby Monty Dog » Fri Oct 12, 2012 16:36 pm

FWIW You couldn't run a 32 sprocket with any Campagnolo rear mech because of the position of the top jockey wheel - they would clash. You may be able to get away with a 30 on a Marchisio cassette. Trying to get a SRAM rear mech to work with a Campagnolo shifter is tricky but of the big variation in cable-pull.
Triple chainsets are still about, but not in Powertorque so swapping would be a pain as you need a special crank-puller.
Alternatively, try something like TA Carmina chainset - you can swap the spiders so you could have an extra spider and rings e.g. 30/46 chainring with a 12-29 will give you a low enough bottom gear for loaded grinding up cols.
Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..

g00se

Postby g00se » Fri Oct 12, 2012 16:42 pm

No definite idea - but both are powertorque so the BB should be the same. The issue is going to be whether the front mech will work properly. The pull etc will be OK as the same levers are used - it'll be a matter of the rear plate not fouling anything but I can't think it will - the old compact mechs looked similar.

If the new tech docs are available on the campag website, it should have detailed schematics (older versions did).

g00se

Postby g00se » Fri Oct 12, 2012 16:44 pm

Monty Dog wrote:FWIW You couldn't run a 32 sprocket with any Campagnolo rear mech because of the position of the top jockey wheel - they would clash. You may be able to get away with a 30 on a Marchisio cassette. Trying to get a SRAM rear mech to work with a Campagnolo shifter is tricky but of the big variation in cable-pull.
Triple chainsets are still about, but not in Powertorque so swapping would be a pain as you need a special crank-puller.
Alternatively, try something like TA Carmina chainset - you can swap the spiders so you could have an extra spider and rings e.g. 30/46 chainring with a 12-29 will give you a low enough bottom gear for loaded grinding up cols.

Camapag now do a 12-30 centaur 10 speed but I don'ty think they do in 11 speed.

targa_man

Postby targa_man » Fri Oct 12, 2012 17:35 pm

Monty Dog wrote:FWIW You couldn't run a 32 sprocket with any Campagnolo rear mech because of the position of the top jockey wheel - they would clash. You may be able to get away with a 30 on a Marchisio cassette. Trying to get a SRAM rear mech to work with a Campagnolo shifter is tricky but of the big variation in cable-pull.

- will a 30/46 chainring work with a double FD?

Monty Dog

Postby Monty Dog » Fri Oct 12, 2012 19:23 pm

targa_man wrote:- will a 30/46 chainring work with a double FD?

Yes - front mechs typically have a capacity if 16 teeth i.e. big ring - small chainring, 30/46 is the same as 34/50
Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..

targa_man

Postby targa_man » Fri Oct 12, 2012 22:51 pm

Monty Dog wrote:
targa_man wrote:- will a 30/46 chainring work with a double FD?

Yes - front mechs typically have a capacity if 16 teeth i.e. big ring - small chainring, 30/46 is the same as 34/50

Ah, ok - I get it. Thanks. I guess that just means moving the FD down the tube slightly when using the smaller rings.

However, I'm assuming that means I'd need to start with TA Carmina kit & Bottom Bracket etc in the first place, and keep some smaller spare rings for the spider (to avoid issues with replacing BBs etc if I started with the Campag kit). Perhaps it's just better biting the bullet and going for the Athena triple from the start and then problem solved and no messing about!

Return to “Workshop”