SRAM multiple gear shifting vs Shimano

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
kikonameko

SRAM multiple gear shifting vs Shimano

Postby kikonameko » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:25 pm

Hi all,

apologies if this is a newbie question.

I am currently using a shimano deore on my hybrid road bike but im thinking of upgrading it to a SRAM Rival. In the Shimano if you "long press" the shifter you actually down shift multiple cogs (2 cogs in my case) Im curious if SRAM has this feature given that their Double Tap system is already using the "Long press" method.

thanks
Francis

wishitwasallflat

Re: SRAM multiple gear shifting vs Shimano

Postby wishitwasallflat » Sun Oct 14, 2012 13:42 pm

kikonameko wrote:Hi all,

apologies if this is a newbie question.

I am currently using a shimano deore on my hybrid road bike but im thinking of upgrading it to a SRAM Rival. In the Shimano if you "long press" the shifter you actually down shift multiple cogs (2 cogs in my case) Im curious if SRAM has this feature given that their Double Tap system is already using the "Long press" method.

thanks
Francis

Yes SRAM rear shifters will shift down up to 3 cogs if you click them and hold - check out SRAM tech docs for details

http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/UGzSh ... %20C_2.pdf

mpdouglas

Postby mpdouglas » Sun Oct 14, 2012 19:27 pm

I have SRAM Rival on my Boardman Hybrid Pro and it uses the SRAM DoubleTap shifters. As I think you know, these only have one lever, not the usual two. The right shifter will allow you to shift up the cassette by 3 gears for one press,if your thumb is long enough to press it that far. For shifting down the cassette, you can only go one at a time (if you press further, you enter the zone where it starts to upshift). However, it is very easy to bang out multiple small clicks very quickly so you can traverse down the cassette pretty quickly. Just occassionally, if you hit a bump at the wrong time in your down shifting, you get an accidental double down shift but it's rare. I love the combo of Rival and Double Tap on my bike - it just works perfectly and shifts very sweetly. It's also worth noting that you can move the position of the double tap lever relative to the shifter body so that it sits in the best position for your hand position/size.

kikonameko

Postby kikonameko » Tue Oct 16, 2012 14:31 pm

thanks for all the response.. i have an additional quick question that concerns the derailleurs.. as i mentioned above i am thinking of changing my drive train.. do you guys think i should just go ahead with a medium cage derailleur as oppose to a short one "just to be on the safe side" or to be future proof? i am thinking of running a 12-27 cassette right now but in the future might switch to a bigger one..

can one think like this or am i just being bonkers here?

Return to “Workshop”