First sportive

Organising a chain gang? Entering a Sportive/Audax?
coltrane

First sportive

Postby coltrane » Sun Oct 14, 2012 18:51 pm

I'm doing my first sportive in a couple of weeks, can anyone advise me on the following:

Is it considered bad etiquette to take an ipod?
If you stop for a snack/drink at one of the feedstations is the time included in your overall time?

Any other tips would be gratefully received

vs

Re: First sportive

Postby vs » Sun Oct 14, 2012 18:57 pm

1. If it's the Exmoor Beast they won't allow you to wear an iPod (why would you anyway?)
2. Yes it is.

Enjoy!

oxoman

Postby oxoman » Sun Oct 14, 2012 21:56 pm

For safety reasons alone i wouldn't consider using an Ipod / mp3 player. When you clock out of the start gate on a sportive the clock continues until you return to the finish. I did my first one last week on the Evans ride it at cannock and will do the nottingham one on 4th nov. Loved it going for the longer distance this time and will be loading up on freebies as well. Take enough liquid to get you to the first stop and a bit extra, take suitable hi energy snack that you know you like just in case you dont like the provided ones. You can always use yours another day. Make sure your bikes ready and take a spare innertube and repair kit, spare chain link multitool etc just in case. Get a good nights sleep beforehand and a decent slow release breakfast like porridge before you go. Above all enjoy it.
Moda Bolero with Shimano 105 Triple
Dawes Giro 300 Winter / Wet Commuter
Giant Anthem 27,5 SX

BlakeysFC

Postby BlakeysFC » Mon Oct 15, 2012 00:53 am

coltrane wrote:I'm doing my first sportive in a couple of weeks, can anyone advise me on the following:

Is it considered bad etiquette to take an ipod?
If you stop for a snack/drink at one of the feedstations is the time included in your overall time?

Any other tips would be gratefully received

1. You shouldn't need to bring your ipod on a cycle ride, you need to listen out for traffic/marshalling advice and other riders and also concentrate 100% on avoiding pot holes and going the fastest you can go, if you absolutely cannot cycle without music ( :shock: ) then buy some of those 'ear bone' headphones that enable you to hear the music and everything else going on around you on the road.

2. Yes it is

Enjoy the ride, don't be daunted by the other riders around you on the ride, bring enough energy bars/gels/isotonic drink/hydration tablets to last the ride length you're doing just in case the feed stations are understocked/out of stock.

coltrane

Postby coltrane » Mon Oct 15, 2012 14:18 pm

Thanks guys especially about stations being out of stock, incidentaly for a 100 miler hwo much liquid/drink would you expect to get through?

I understand the safety aspect of the ipod but a lot of my riding is on my own and for longer rides music can help motivate. Anyway I’ll leave it behind and follow the advice.

Return to “Sportives/Audaxes/Training rides”