Atera Roof Bar - Locking clamp won't lock

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
spellhj@hotmail.com

Atera Roof Bar - Locking clamp won't lock

Postby spellhj@hotmail.com » Sat Oct 13, 2012 21:36 pm

I have just bought Atera Signo steel roof bars and 3 x Atera Giro AF bike carriers. I am hoping someone else has found a way around the problem I am having. I don't think the problem will occur with Aluminium roof bars 'cos they don't have the 'hooks' that are causing the issue.

The carriers attach to the bars via 3 quick release clamps. There is a steel hook for each clamp, one end of the hook screws into the quick release clamp. One of the 3 clamps has a lock. The non-locking clamps work perfectly. I am finding that as the locking clamp closes it is pulling the locking mechanism against the steel plate and then can go no further. So it cannot close itself sufficiently to allow the key to turn. Hence the quick release clamp it is not very securely closed (bad enough) but also cannot be locked, and the key cannot be removed.

I have asked the supplier for feedback on this, and am tempted to slightly bend the hooks - just a couple of mm would probably do it. But having just forked out 200 sheets for German engineering I don't think this should be necessary. "Voorsprung durch technic" and all that.

Anyone been down this road?

RichA

Re: Atera Roof Bar - Locking clamp won't lock

Postby RichA » Sun Oct 14, 2012 08:57 am

Welcome. Might be worth changing your username to avoid spam.

Does this help:
http://www.yatego.com/jacowei/p,4711d4c ... af-082-221

spellhj@hotmail.com

Postby spellhj@hotmail.com » Sun Oct 14, 2012 23:24 pm

Thanks rich. I will create a new account... Didn't realise I was exposing my email address.

The link you suggested took me to a German reseller. I was unable to find anything helpful on the site... But then my German is nicht zehr gut.

Thanks for your help though. I see that 32 users of this forum have looked at my posting. The Absence of responses is suggesting I am going to be S.O.L.

The Mechanic

Postby The Mechanic » Mon Oct 15, 2012 09:59 am

I have the same bike carriers but with Atera aero roof bars. They fit on the bars with 20mm plates that slide inside the bars but I have the same issue. The way I solved it is by slightly slacking off the cam lock. This allows the cam lever to close far enough to be able to engage the lock. It is a bit of a balance to get them slack enough to lock but tight enough to not move. It is possible. I think it is something to do with the flexibility of the cam lever. If it is too tight, I can see the lever flexing as I am trying to press it down and if it is not absolutely square when closed, the lock will not engage. I also find a good covering of silicone grease helps.
I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks

spellhj@hotmail.com

Postby spellhj@hotmail.com » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:29 am

I got the aluminium roof bars. Problem solved.

I can highly recommend Roofbox.co.uk --- they have been extremely responsive helping me get this sorted out.

The Mechanic

Postby The Mechanic » Thu Oct 18, 2012 08:02 am

Pleased you got it sorted. Also good to hear you got good service from Roofbox. I have always had good service from them but there is a thread on another forum that suggests others have not had such a good buying experience.
I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks

Return to “Workshop”