Confused newbie

New to this MTB'ing lark? Come on in...
Slamdunkin

Re: Confused newbie

Postby Slamdunkin » Sun Oct 07, 2012 21:08 pm

would something like this charge Scourer be suitable...The ratios are more suited to high speed commute, but would do just fine on the off road terrain OP wants to ride on. I also think it looks good to.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/charge-scourer- ... kdeals.com

The Rookie

Postby The Rookie » Mon Oct 08, 2012 09:19 am

It would be if the frame will take something like a 38mm+ cyclocross tyre.....you can ride on loose surfaces on a 28mm but it's not pleasant.

alfablue

Postby alfablue » Mon Oct 08, 2012 09:51 am

Slamdunkin wrote:would something like this charge Scourer be suitable...The ratios are more suited to high speed commute, but would do just fine on the off road terrain OP wants to ride on. I also think it looks good to.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/charge-scourer- ... kdeals.com
Good find! This bike looks ideal, and good value too. The Charge web site shows it fitted with 700x32 tyres, which is probably a good size for all round use on varied terrain (my touring bike has this size and they are fine off road). It takes mudguards (essential on a commuter, I think) and a rack. Disc brakes offer all weather reliability. This bike seems to minimise the excess weight associated with many hybrids. I want one.
http://www.chargebikes.cc/products/scourer/

felix.london

Postby felix.london » Mon Oct 08, 2012 09:58 am

alfablue wrote:Just to illustrate what you can do on a road bike, yesterday I did a 40km ride on the road but which included about 1km on paths like this:
I was on my carbon road bike:
Whilst this is obviously not ideal, it is perfectly doable, and I wouldn't want to take a slower bike on the remaining 39km on tarmac.

This bike (a Dawes Audax) is my ideal fast commuter, it is steel and has springy steel rigid forks and slightly larger volume tryes, it has mudguards and mounts for a rear rack, it copes really well with mixed terrain. I linked to some Audax type bikes in your price range in my previous posts.
I also have a hybrid, a cheap Kona Smoke, rigid steel kona project 2 forks, fatter tyres, and fitted with a chainguard so I can wear regular clothes when going out in the city at night. I use it for supermarket runs, riding round the city, pubs, restaurant trips, etc. This also copes really well on one of my regular journeys that involves rocky bridlepaths. It is significantly heavier and slower than the audax bike.

I would recommend you get an audax or cyclocross bike for your commute. You will enjoy the speed advantage on the road, and this is significant on longer rides.

Failing that a hybrid would be the next choice, but may newbies buy hybrids only to sell them on when they realise the benefits of road bikes.

Note, hybrids come in two main styles; lighter road bikes with flat bars and 700c wheels, or heavier ones based on mtb frames and 26" wheels, some of which also have suspension forks (not good enough to be worth the weight, and which will "bob" and sap your strength when climbing hills, unless they lockout). Some also have suspension seatposts (also unnecessary and heavy). If you get a hybrid, the "road" type will cope fine with your intended terrain, and will be much faster and more efficient. Of the mtb style, obviously no suspension is better than one with suspension.

Think outside the box, learn from other's experience.

Dear mods.,

Please remove the middle two photos from this post/forum...feck it, and the bottom one too
"Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8

alfablue

Postby alfablue » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:13 am

felix.london wrote:Dear mods.,

Please remove the middle two photos from this post/forum...feck it, and the bottom one too
And the wisdom underpinning your noble request? :roll:

alfablue

Postby alfablue » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:15 am

Oh I get it now, you think that terrain needs a full face helmet and body armour. Better safe than sorry I suppose.

pessimal

Postby pessimal » Sat Oct 13, 2012 21:35 pm

I've test ridden the Trek 8.3ds

Its a very nice bike, the suspension works well (for my weight anyway), however i think everyone's comments are right, i just dont need it, the amount of time wasted having to stop so i can lock or unlock it ruins the rhythm of a ride

Its much nicer to ride than my current bike, rides much nicer even with the forks locked out, and seems to carry speed better. however when trying to climb up hills or banks it feels like it would prefer i sat down to pedal rather than get up and (ahem) swing it between my legs, not sure if thats down to the frame size (15") or the change from 26" wheels to 700c.

so its back to the drawing board and look for something with solid forks.

bloghog

Postby bloghog » Mon Oct 15, 2012 07:29 am

As others have said a hybrid with rigid forks sounds the best bet, light and fast.

Return to “MTB Beginners”