Makes you proud to be a Brit

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
User avatar
Ron Stuart
Posts: 1218
Joined: Sat May 24, 2003 07:41 am
Contact:

Makes you proud to be a Brit

Postby Ron Stuart » Fri Oct 12, 2012 14:17 pm

I can relate to this..... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -care.html

There are native tribes that treat their elderly better than this country does and in particularly our ex servicemen and women. How do you measure a civilisation :?:

Is it not the case that the young and old are making a disproportionate sacrifice to pay for the selfish greed in the past.

All our government is trying to do is to resurrect the same old unfit for purpose system that has only benefited it's sponsors who are still there living the life. :!:

Frank the tank
Posts: 6606
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 21:22 pm

Re: Makes you proud to be a Brit

Postby Frank the tank » Fri Oct 12, 2012 18:47 pm

But remember,if you're asset rich but money poor it's not reasonable to expect you to downsize to avoid the proposed mansion tax. Which if you're in a property worth £2,000,000 would not really be a hardship. However I would be expected to sell my house worth considerably less to pay for my old age should I end up needing a care home.
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

stigofthedump
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 17:28 pm

Re: Makes you proud to be a Brit

Postby stigofthedump » Fri Oct 12, 2012 22:14 pm

As i live my life i am saving for my retirement. I am buying my house and as i retire i will finish paying for it. When i retire i will draw my pension and i will sell my 4 bed house and downsize, because my kids will have left home and be making their own way in the world. I will support them if i can, but by the time i die i hope to have spent everything. At no point do i expect my parents or inlaws to give me their house.

I dont see why i should pay tax to support pensioners who have extremely valuable assets just so their children can get a free house. House prices have appreciated tremendously in value over the past 30-40 years, so the value of these houses is largely un earned.

I find it strange that people expect to be given their parents house, rather than buy their own. Do they get everything from their parents? food, full carbon bikes, cars, holidays?

User avatar
dw300
Posts: 1599
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 19:48 pm

Re: Makes you proud to be a Brit

Postby dw300 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 03:20 am

Saw DM link.

(Posted this.)

Left thread.
All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
Bike Radar Strava Club
The Northern Ireland Thread

verylonglegs
Posts: 2708
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:59 am

Re: Makes you proud to be a Brit

Postby verylonglegs » Sat Oct 13, 2012 08:13 am

Send the daughter some of your money if it upsets you that much. That is all that article is about, she wanted a payout and didn't get one.

User avatar
Cleat Eastwood
Posts: 7720
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2006 23:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Makes you proud to be a Brit

Postby Cleat Eastwood » Sat Oct 13, 2012 09:05 am

the guy had a monkey on his hat - surely he deserved some state aid for that alone.

Image
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.

User avatar
Rolf F
Posts: 13574
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 09:29 am

Re: Makes you proud to be a Brit

Postby Rolf F » Sat Oct 13, 2012 09:26 am

stigofthedump wrote:As i live my life i am saving for my retirement. I am buying my house and as i retire i will finish paying for it. When i retire i will draw my pension and i will sell my 4 bed house and downsize, because my kids will have left home and be making their own way in the world. I will support them if i can, but by the time i die i hope to have spent everything. At no point do i expect my parents or inlaws to give me their house.

I dont see why i should pay tax to support pensioners who have extremely valuable assets just so their children can get a free house. House prices have appreciated tremendously in value over the past 30-40 years, so the value of these houses is largely un earned.


How do you want it to work then? Should he, when he retired, completely mortgaged his house and blown all the proceeds on foreign holidays and internet bingo on the basis that then at least he would have enjoyed the money he earned? That's effectively the likely outcome if you make it so that you lose any savings you have made.

It is a complex issue - true that house prices are ridiculous at the moment and badly in need of huge reductions in value - but this is just an issue for the moment. Incidentally, selling up and downsizing as a means to liberate cash only really works when house prices are excessively high - your retirement tactic itself is a benefit of the short term house price over-inflation.

Mr Beckett chose not to blow his financial assets and presumably wanted to leave at least some of them to his daughter. That seems pretty responsible really. The taxpayer would be better off all round if everyone took that approach. And, of course, the tax that you don't want to pay to the likes of Mr Beckett is also the same tax that he himself paid throughout his working life.
Faster than a tent.......

farrina
Posts: 355
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 08:21 am

Re: Makes you proud to be a Brit

Postby farrina » Sat Oct 13, 2012 18:10 pm

I think the problem these days is that everyone thinks they have rights, but no responsibilities.

Without taking responsibility you should have no rights .....
Regards
Alan

Frank the tank
Posts: 6606
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 21:22 pm

Re: Makes you proud to be a Brit

Postby Frank the tank » Sat Oct 13, 2012 23:15 pm

farrina wrote:I think the problem these days is that everyone thinks they have rights, but no responsibilities.

Without taking responsibility you should have no rights .....


Fair point, grab hold of any "scrote" in the street and they'll be only too ready to tell you their "rights", ask them about their resposibilities they'll look at you totally non-plussed.
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

pliptrot
Posts: 544
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 05:58 am
Contact:

Re: Makes you proud to be a Brit

Postby pliptrot » Mon Oct 15, 2012 17:59 pm

Frank the tank wrote:However I would be expected to sell my house worth considerably less to pay for my old age should I end up needing a care home.
Why? Do you expect have to sell your house if you have any of the many serious diseases which may afflict any of us at any age? Heart surgery, perhaps? Why should age - and the concomitant ill health which may be expected - be a differentiating factor? If you end up in a hospice - before your time - should you sell your house to cover those costs?

Frank the tank
Posts: 6606
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 21:22 pm

Re: Makes you proud to be a Brit

Postby Frank the tank » Mon Oct 15, 2012 18:13 pm

pliptrot wrote:
Frank the tank wrote:However I would be expected to sell my house worth considerably less to pay for my old age should I end up needing a care home.
Why? Do you expect have to sell your house if you have any of the many serious diseases which may afflict any of us at any age? Heart surgery, perhaps? Why should age - and the concomitant ill health which may be expected - be a differentiating factor? If you end up in a hospice - before your time - should you sell your house to cover those costs?

It's what happens to a lot of people with moderate savings/assets. I think you can keep upto £8k otherwise you end up having to sell your property.
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

User avatar
Ron Stuart
Posts: 1218
Joined: Sat May 24, 2003 07:41 am
Contact:

Re: Makes you proud to be a Brit

Postby Ron Stuart » Mon Oct 15, 2012 18:48 pm

pliptrot wrote:
Frank the tank wrote:However I would be expected to sell my house worth considerably less to pay for my old age should I end up needing a care home.
Why? Do you expect have to sell your house if you have any of the many serious diseases which may afflict any of us at any age? Heart surgery, perhaps? Why should age - and the concomitant ill health which may be expected - be a differentiating factor? If you end up in a hospice - before your time - should you sell your house to cover those costs?


If we as a nation feel it right to pay the Chigwell Chump Lord Sugar (worth around £770 million) a heating allowance then is it that ridiculous to think that we shouldn't have a decent level of care for the elderly. In recent years some care home companies got involved in property speculation and as a result the biggest care home provider in the country Four Seasons Health Care went through this....
Dr. Peter Calveley was appointed CEO in 2007 and his senior management team were left to resolve debts of circa £1.5 billion as a result of borrowings by its owners to buy the homes.
Care for the elderly in this country is an absolute disgrace with stories of abuse regularly in the news, it's something that we should all feel ashamed about.
Our Government should put up as a high priority the radical overhaul of this whole dysfunctional system.

User avatar
Giraffoto
Posts: 1771
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 07:05 am

Re: Makes you proud to be a Brit

Postby Giraffoto » Tue Oct 16, 2012 13:15 pm

Cleat Eastwood wrote:the guy had a monkey on his hat - surely he deserved some state aid for that alone.

Image
Mr Beckett in the army in the late 1940s with a monkey on his head. The government finally agreed to fund his long term care a week before he died


In this whole thread, only one contributor has picked up on the key issue involved
Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
On-One Scandal (fully rigid)

User avatar
GiantMike
Posts: 3162
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 09:41 am

Re: Makes you proud to be a Brit

Postby GiantMike » Tue Oct 16, 2012 13:19 pm

The monkey hat is a red herring.
my power improvement experiment blog

Rule number 100: It's your bike and your money and your time; do what you like with it and ignore other peoples' rules. Except this one.

pliptrot
Posts: 544
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 05:58 am
Contact:

Re: Makes you proud to be a Brit

Postby pliptrot » Tue Oct 16, 2012 14:02 pm

I knew there was something fishy about that.

Tom Dean
Posts: 1650
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 08:08 am

Re: Makes you proud to be a Brit

Postby Tom Dean » Tue Oct 16, 2012 14:25 pm

Ron Stuart wrote:There are native tribes that treat their elderly better than this country does and in particularly our ex servicemen and women. How do you measure a civilisation :?:

WTF have 'native tribes' got to do with anything?

verylonglegs
Posts: 2708
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:59 am

Re: Makes you proud to be a Brit

Postby verylonglegs » Tue Oct 16, 2012 15:09 pm

Tom Dean wrote:
Ron Stuart wrote:There are native tribes that treat their elderly better than this country does and in particularly our ex servicemen and women. How do you measure a civilisation :?:

WTF have 'native tribes' got to do with anything?


You mean you've not read about those ancient tribes with extensive state funded care for their retired military pilots? The African bush is riddled with them!

User avatar
GiantMike
Posts: 3162
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 09:41 am

Re: Makes you proud to be a Brit

Postby GiantMike » Tue Oct 16, 2012 15:20 pm

It makes me proud that some Brits are too sensible to read the Daily Mail. I'm a bit ashamed about those that do read it though. I can understand treating the elderly with disrespect, but why would anybody read the Daily Mail?
my power improvement experiment blog

Rule number 100: It's your bike and your money and your time; do what you like with it and ignore other peoples' rules. Except this one.

pliptrot
Posts: 544
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 05:58 am
Contact:

Re: Makes you proud to be a Brit

Postby pliptrot » Tue Oct 16, 2012 16:58 pm

because people are indolent - intellectually bereft- and the Daily Mail (plus others) give them the emotional satisfaction that bigotry provides for the ignorant.

User avatar
Ron Stuart
Posts: 1218
Joined: Sat May 24, 2003 07:41 am
Contact:

Re: Makes you proud to be a Brit

Postby Ron Stuart » Tue Oct 16, 2012 17:53 pm

Tom Dean wrote:
Ron Stuart wrote:There are native tribes that treat their elderly better than this country does and in particularly our ex servicemen and women. How do you measure a civilisation :?:

WTF have 'native tribes' got to do with anything?


SFB


Return to “The Cake Stop”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest