MTB v Road Helmet

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
Donkeywings

MTB v Road Helmet

Postby Donkeywings » Mon Oct 15, 2012 22:05 pm

Probably a stupid question, but here goes:
Without reference to Rule#35... what actually is the difference between Road and MTB helmets?
I unclipped the peak from my MTB helm and use that just now.
Just purely out of interest, what is the difference?

FSR_XC

Re: MTB v Road Helmet

Postby FSR_XC » Mon Oct 15, 2012 22:09 pm

Peak = MTB
Remove peak = Road

Simples
Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Rockhopper 03 + mods, Ribble Sportive '11

http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk

Wily-Quixote

Postby Wily-Quixote » Mon Oct 15, 2012 22:33 pm

+1, don't take velomonati seriously: it is tongue in cheek. Ride in whatever helmet you damn well please. I put my peak on in rain irrespective of what bike I'm on.

Donkeywings

Postby Donkeywings » Mon Oct 15, 2012 22:55 pm

Heh - I wasn't taking Velomonati seriously :-) It was a genuine question about the differences, if any. I think I paid around £30 for my Bell MTB helmet, and, whereas it had a peak, I have now removed it. I guess it won't make any difference when I use it for MTB since I don't remember suffering from debris falling from above my head.

I spent my childhood riding bikes (like everyone in their 40s) when cycle helmets didn't exist... and even if they did you would have had your head kicked in if you'd actually worn one. I wouldn't even dream of going out now without one (despite the evidence that they appear to be useless in crashes beyond 14mph) If I ever fall off my Road bike at 40mph I want all the protection I can get... and despite what the evidence says... if I have to slide 100s of yards over tarmac after an accident, I would rather the plastic/polystyrene was in contact with the road than my skull.!

I guess I'm just intreaged as to why there are so many road-specific helms that are £100+ that people are buying.

mfin

Postby mfin » Tue Oct 16, 2012 02:29 am

Donkeywings wrote:I spent my childhood riding bikes (like everyone in their 40s) when cycle helmets didn't exist... and even if they did you would have had your head kicked in if you'd actually worn one.

...in which event you'd be glad you had one on!

Eskimo427

Postby Eskimo427 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 06:06 am

Looking at both my MTB and road helmet side by side the MTB one is far bigger and more substantial, however heavier than the road one. I think the thinking is, you're more likely to bash your head in the wilds doing something silly on a mountain bike than riding on a smooth surface on a road bike. I tend to use my MTB helmet more often than my road oone, unless I'm doing a long ride.

Giraffoto

Postby Giraffoto » Tue Oct 16, 2012 06:47 am

Donkeywings wrote:road-specific helms that are £100+

Warning! Incredibly pedantic comment coming up!
It's a helm if it covers your whole head like a bucket. "Helmet" is a diminutive of that, and is properly applied to something that only covers a bit of your head, like a cycle helmet. Which would make me look smart if I didn't always call it a "hat"
Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
On-One Scandal (fully rigid)

samsbike

Postby samsbike » Tue Oct 16, 2012 13:44 pm

I have a mtb helmet I use as a road helmet wiithout the peak.

Apparently its heavier and may have slightly more coverage that a road helmet.

However, If I was buying again I would get something that had some kind of inner net for insects (in the summer) and perhaps a provision for a light, for commuting.

Return to “Road Buying Advice”