Getting ready for the winter rain

Here is the place to post the more serious issues surrounding commuting, bike and kit questions, and buying advice
skolsuper

Getting ready for the winter rain

Postby skolsuper » Thu Oct 11, 2012 00:08 am

Hi all.
Just reading about what wet weather gear to get.
Seems gore-tex, Is pretty good. Jacket seem to be about £100 pound. Your thoughts please.
Probably been asked hundreds of times.
Sorry.
All the best

fossyant

Re: Getting ready for the winter rain

Postby fossyant » Thu Oct 11, 2012 09:20 am

What do you mean winter rain ? - it's probably going to be dryer than the summer we haven't had !

I just use a race cape - I find any waterproof not very breathable, so don't spend a fortune on them.

lee170

Postby lee170 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 09:22 am

Overshoes or waterproof socks and waterproof gloves are a must!!
Warm hands and feet keeps your morale up, well mine anyway

zx6man

Postby zx6man » Tue Oct 16, 2012 09:24 am

Whenever I use waterproofs on the bike I end up being just as wet anyway with them not being that breathable

danmitch

Postby danmitch » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:23 am

Depends on the length of your commute, but for half an hour to an hour, I find a softshell jacket is sufficiently waterproof and much more breathable / comfy than a "proper" waterproof. Agree with lee170 on gloves and socks - with a warm upper body (good merino base layer), warm hands and feet and possibly a cap, even in shorts I am comfortable.

Godders1

Postby Godders1 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:50 am

Waterproofs tend to get sweaty (no matter how "breathable" they're marketed as being).

If you do go the waterproof route make sure it's very well vented. I have a Mavic waterproof made from gore-tex paclite material and it's brilliant but discontinued unfortunately!

mr_eddy

Postby mr_eddy » Thu Oct 18, 2012 13:24 pm

As some others have suggested I think the important bit is to stay warm. Its almost impossible to stay dry in heavy rain regardless of how fancy your gear is. I have fruitlessly tried several tricks, I have tried over shoes / waterproof trousers etc but ultimately you will get wet on some part of your body.

Go for something fast drying , warm and comfortable. Avoid denim / cotton as they are not very good at wicking away moisture. In the winter or on wet cold days I tend to go for a pair of thermal running tights (decathlon about £15) with a pair of fast drying baggy shorts over the top. I will combine this with a merino wool base layer / fleece jacket and if required a cheap thin wind breaker style water proof over the top. Unless its rain of biblical proportions a fleece close fit jacket if fine, it beads of rain quite well and dries in about 30 minutes on a radiator.

Shoes is a tricky one, every pair I have had has let water in even some £80 winter DHB jobs, I tend to just go for a thin pair of cotton socks with a decent pair of walking socks over the top. This is breathable and warm, you will get wet feet but they are at least warm and socks dry real quick on the radiator.

Gloves again I tend to layer up, I find a pair of thin under gloves (again decathlon under glove ski gloves £8) followed by a reasonably thin cycling winter glove over the top keeps my hands warm and relatively dry.

Finally tube bandana's are very handy you can get a set of 3 from Chain Reaction for about £10 and they can be used under the helmet or around the neck or as a basic face mask.

Cheers

wilo13

Postby wilo13 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 19:44 pm

Gore oxygen active shell jacket. Bike radar reviewed it as the best bike waterproof they have tried. I have one and it is great. I believe evans are selling them on offer for 130. It keeps you dry and it actually does breath fairly well. I am a big sweater and tried it on my last 1hr 30min ride and it kept me bone dry. I only wear it though when it is really chucking it down, as people have said previously, for most occasions a decent water resistant softshell is best.
Carrot cake or Flapjack?

Return to “Commuting General”