Hitchin, Hertfordshire - regular Sunday Ride

Organising a ride? Looking for riding buddies? Arrange your rides here.
johnhighfield

Re: Hitchin, Hertfordshire - regular Sunday Ride

Postby johnhighfield » Wed Sep 05, 2012 17:52 pm

Hi you are welcome to join us.

Nothing we do is technical & the few hills we have in the area are pretty moderate - by all standards.

There is free uncontrolled residential parking adjacent to where we meet at the opening to Pine Hills Hospital in Benslow lane, Hitchin. and Hitchin station (on line to Kings Cross) is just around the corner.

We are put every Sunday throught the year (except possibly if its tipping down) so hopefully will see you some time in the future.

Post here of send me a PM when you intend joining us so we can be sure to meet you.

John

Panthera

Postby Panthera » Thu Sep 06, 2012 09:24 am

johnhighfield wrote:Hi you are welcome to join us.

Nothing we do is technical & the few hills we have in the area are pretty moderate - by all standards.

There is free uncontrolled residential parking adjacent to where we meet at the opening to Pine Hills Hospital in Benslow lane, Hitchin. and Hitchin station (on line to Kings Cross) is just around the corner.

We are put every Sunday throught the year (except possibly if its tipping down) so hopefully will see you some time in the future.

Post here of send me a PM when you intend joining us so we can be sure to meet you.

John

Hi John, thank you. Hope to meet you soon. I'll be in touch.

johnhighfield

Postby johnhighfield » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:32 am

We've had a couple of great Sunday rides recently with sunny weather and fast tracks!

All looks good for tomorrow morning with dry cool weather forecast and the rain kicking in at about midday (BBC forecast) - when we will be all done...

Considering a new ride tomorrow so if you are up for a bit of a mystery tour come & join us.

Normally do 20-25 mi & meet at 8.30am outside Pine Hills Hospital in Benslow Lane Hitchin. There is unrestricted parking & Hitchin station is nearby.

John

johnhighfield

Postby johnhighfield » Sun Sep 23, 2012 13:49 pm

Good ride out this morning - a mystery tour - all done & back before the rain - as planned!

Went for a new ride - beyond our normal riding area - up through Arlesey on to Henlow, Langford and round through Stotfold, round Letchworth's Greenway & Back to Hitchin.

Made a few mistakes - but these will be worked on. This & our most recent rides are now listed on the 'cycle buddy' website & can be searched in the cycling logs under the postcode 'SG6'.

Anyone interested in joining us: Every Sunday @ 8.30am outside Pine Hills Hospital, Benslow lane, Hitchin.

John

johnhighfield

Postby johnhighfield » Sat Sep 29, 2012 20:43 pm

Hi Bobslop

Thanks for the PM

You are most welcome to join us......

See you tomorrow @ 8.30 outside Pine Hills Hospital, Benslow Lane, Hitchin.

John

johnhighfield

Postby johnhighfield » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:33 pm

Good ride this morning with tracks nice & dry & dry but cool weather.

Did a 25mi loop down through Kings Walden, Breachwood Green, Whitwell & up through Langley. The logged ride is on 'cycling buddy' (http://www.cyclingbuddy.com/) and can be found by searching postcode SG6 and looking for rides by JohnC.

We should be out again next Sunday leaving the Pine Hills Hospital, Benslow Lane, in Hitchin, at 8.30am. All welcome!

John

StickDigital

Postby StickDigital » Thu Oct 04, 2012 21:51 pm

Ah here you are John :).... I'm up for riding this Sundaynif your around? Benslow at 8:30?
Knebworth MTB Facebook Page - http://www.facebook.com/knebworthmtb

johnhighfield

Postby johnhighfield » Thu Oct 04, 2012 22:20 pm

Hi Sticky (pun intended)

Yes we will be there! I dont know who will turn up but there is normally a core of 4/5. If you are driving there is a bay just along the road from the gates of the Pine Hills Hospital, Benslow Lane, Hitchin - its near Hitchin Station (for pedestrians) but by road is a bit more indirect.

8.30am for 2.5/3 hrs

I'll PM you some Mob nos for emergencies.

See you Sunday - Hopefully - John

johnhighfield

Postby johnhighfield » Sun Oct 07, 2012 13:51 pm

Nice to have you with us Sticky

Hopefully you car was OK parked in the grounds of the Hospital - I would park it along the road in future.....

For your inaugural ride we did one of our classic routes: Ickleford, Pirton, Wood lane, Telegraph Hill, down to the golf course at Streatley, around through Liley and up the Balk, on to Little Offley, Great Offley, down Chalk Hill, and back on to Hitchin. The route is posted on the 'Cycle Buddy' website & can probablt be found by searching the postcode 'SG6'. The web address is in a posting above.

It was very misty out at times & the ground is getting very slippery again after the recent rain - However we got in about 24mi (fron my starting point).

Hopefully we'll see you again next week with anyone else who is up for 2-3 hours of off road Singletrack local to Hitchin.

All welcome - 8.30am outside the Pine Hills Hospital in Benslow Lane, Hitchin. There is a parking bay just along from the Hospital gates.

John

johnhighfield

Postby johnhighfield » Sat Oct 13, 2012 16:00 pm

Registration for the Thetford Winter Series has now opened & gets filled up very quickly....

4 or 5 of us should be doing the 2hr race so if you fancy giving it a go sign up and we will meet up & go together. The first one is on the Sunday 4th November......so get training!

The weather is looking good for this Sunday - fresh (6-8c) but sunny - so it should be a good ride.

Join us if you are around - Outside Pine Hills Hospital, Benslow Lane Hitchin, for an 8.30am start. There is unrestricted parking along the road.

John

evo3ben

Postby evo3ben » Thu Oct 18, 2012 03:14 am

Yes its that time again! wow doesnt time fly! I have entered the complete series and really looking forward to it. Hoping to be out with you this sunday, be good to catch up :)
http://www.mudsweatgears.co.uk
http://www.thetfordmtbracing.com

Scott Scale 700 RC with a couple of changes.

StickDigital

Postby StickDigital » Thu Oct 18, 2012 20:55 pm

Hey John thanks again for the ride...great fun going over the handle bars and rolling I to a bush. Amazingly unbroken :)

I'm planning on doing a Knebworth loop sat morning and hopefully out Sunday too!

I think I'll swap to spd's so I'm not holding you guys up as much :). But it's all good fitness eh lol...

Also thanks for joining my Knebworth MTB Facebook page. For anyone on the thread who lives closer to Knebworth here's the link...

http://www.facebook.com/knebworthmtb

Hopefully see you Sunday!!

Bonji
Knebworth MTB Facebook Page - http://www.facebook.com/knebworthmtb

johnhighfield

Postby johnhighfield » Sun Oct 21, 2012 21:19 pm

Good ride today although the rain throughout the week and overnight made it very sqelchy under wheel with lots of sideways riding.

Did a loop of 20mi taking in Weston Hills & the track down towards Luffenhall, through Halls Green and back through Graveley. The ride is posted up on 'cyclingbuddy.com' - just search cycling logs under the postcode SG6 & look for rides by John.C.

We should be out again next Sunday 8.30am leaving from outside Pine Hills Hospital in Benslow lane Hitchin.

All Welcome - John

johnhighfield

Postby johnhighfield » Sun Nov 04, 2012 21:02 pm

Hitchin Sunday Riders - do Thetford Winter Series R1.

Apalling weather with persistant rain & a very cold start. The course was OK for the first few laps but became deeply rutted filled with thick mud to power through - just like our local rides really.....

We had 5 of us riding with some excellent results for all - despite the conditions. Ben got 49th & Nathan 110th (first ever race); Warren got 157th (on an overgeared singlespeed & had to drop out) inthe 2hr Under 40s. In the over 40s - Drew got 12th; & I got 102nd.

The Next round is on the 2nd December - so get those entries in soon as it fills up quickly...

In the meantime we should be out next Sunday @ 8.30am from outside the Pine Hills Hospital in Benslow Lane, Hitchin. There is unrestricted parking aong the road.

All Welcome - John

evo3ben

Postby evo3ben » Fri Nov 09, 2012 09:31 am

It definitely was an epic race lol. The course started out ok but as time went on and 600 racers had been over it the mud was just horrendous! My brakes wore down to the metal half way around lap 2 so the remainder of the race i was brakeless, doh! managed to fall of twice due to no brakes and no way of scrubbing off speed. I had to shout at the marshals (cadets) at one point to get them to stay clear just in case i didnt get around the corner at the end of a long straight lol. On the plus side, you really do get to know the limits of your tyres in them conditions!
All things considering i am pleased with 49th out of the 194 in senior category especially knowing i can do better. Here is hoping for a dryer and less muddy 2nd round.
Top marks for those that raced as everyone did really well and i hope i didnt put Nathan off racing (conditions are not usually that bad Nathan). Also the marshals did a brilliant job standing there for over 2hrs in the cold rain!
Hopefully see you all sunday :D

johnhighfield

Postby johnhighfield » Thu Nov 15, 2012 20:16 pm

Hooked up with the guys from sillygrin (http://www.sillygrin.co.uk/index.htm) last night and swapped Hertfordshire mud for some Bedfordshire mud!

Its all the same really - but I did get to try out my new helmet light = powerfull stuff. It was incredibly atmospheric riding off-road in the mist with powerfull lights being reflected back in the mist and illuminating all the piping and reflective trim on everyones cothing.

7 of us were out and we did a 19mi loop from Cardington up around Chicksand Forest & back.

But its back to the normal 'Hitchin Sunday Ride' this Sunday leaving from outside Pine Hills Hospital, Benslow lane, Hitchin at 8.30am. There's parking along the road - all welcome.

John

johnhighfield

Postby johnhighfield » Sun Dec 09, 2012 16:16 pm

It was good to get back to the familiar mud of Hertfordshire for our Sunday run this morning after the freezing conditions (-3) of R2 of the Thetford Winter Series last week where 4 of us were competing.

It was a tough race with many riders (including myself) having many offs on the black ice of the frozen forest roads. Here is a bit from Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHiZQ6pHtgI

I'm not in the film & Its very funny when you watch it back - but it hurt a lot at the time & took my enthusiasm away.......particularly when its the second or third off!!

Anyway - we did the familiar Ickleford / Pirton / Telegraph Hill / Stopsley / Putteridgebury / Offley loop this morning - which was 23mi in the gloopy mud..

We'll be out again next Sunday for more of the same. Meeting outside Pine Hills Hospital, Benslow lane in Hitchin for an 8.30am start. There is parking along the road.

Join us if you are around - John

johnhighfield

Postby johnhighfield » Sun Dec 16, 2012 14:15 pm

Forecast was for a dry weekend – but it rained yesterday which left the local tracks very very muddy & squelchy. Even the grassed areas were water logged with a lot of surface water which wasn’t going anywhere.

However it was great to develop those sideways riding skills and to improve fitness by pedalling through the mud….

We had 7 out – with some returning regulars – and did just under 20mi with an average moving speed of 8.7mph. We did one of our regular routes – Gravely to Weston; through Walkern & back up through Weston & Gravely again.

All of our rides are being logged on the ‘cycle buddy’ website http://www.cyclingbuddy.com/ and you should be able to find them by searching the cycle logs under ‘SG6’.

Our next race in the Thetford Winter Series is on Sunday 17th Jan (27th Corrected by EvoBen) & the registration is open now. http://www.thetfordmtbracing.com/
5 or so of us should be doing this – but other will still be out doing the Sunday ride.

Next Sunday is likely to be our last Sunday ride before Christmas – so do come along & join us. 8.30am outside the Pine Hills Hospital in Benslow lane Hitchin. There is a free parking bay along the road. Do PM me if you are new so we can wait for you if you are late.

This is a great way to develop your fitness AND see some fantastic local countryside rather than working out in a gym.

John
Last edited by johnhighfield on Sun Dec 16, 2012 16:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

evo3ben

Postby evo3ben » Sun Dec 16, 2012 16:15 pm

Great ride out today. Was nice to see some riders i havent seen for a while. Mega muddy, hard going but good to make use of the mud tyres which are really needed at the moment.

Sorry John, next Thetford race is 27th (not 17th). Hopefully some nice cold weather will firm up the ground before then.

nathanjspence

Postby nathanjspence » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:42 am

Hey,

Bit late posting, but yeah the first Thetford race was really good. Hard work for the first one out there, but no Ben, the mud hasn't put me off just yet! I had to get all my brake pads replaced after this weekend's mud though, and it was my first time out since the race, so I could well have knackered them there like Warren and Drew too!

I should hopefully make either the January or February races, I'll have to see how it goes with this half marathon training for March. Still not sure why I'm doing that yet... :?

Is anyone planning on doing any non-competitive endurance types events like these next year?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/wiggle-super-series/mtb/

It would be good to see some different parts of the country, so I was wondering if anyone fancied going together as a group. I think when I've got my fitness up it would great to try something like this.

http://www.ratracecrossing.com/ :mrgreen:

Return to “MTB Rides”