London Calling

Organising a ride? Looking for riding buddies? Arrange your rides here.
deadkenny

Re: London Calling

Postby deadkenny » Mon Oct 08, 2012 17:49 pm

I refuse to pay for Swinley parking on principle, even if it's more hassle but then I'd spend as much time trying to find somewhere to park there anyway as parking elsewhere and riding in.

As for the marshalling thing - not sure what I'm doing. Been off the bike a bit and want to be out as much as possible this weekend if possible. Though could take the camera along, but depends if it's just standing by a fireroad pointing the way or somewhere where there's action. More likely to head for the hills. I'd only turn up late anyway ;)

cooldad

Postby cooldad » Mon Oct 08, 2012 20:14 pm

Welcome back but it's next weekend.
I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

cooldad

Postby cooldad » Tue Oct 09, 2012 21:39 pm

A call for Enduro 1 Marshalls....Take 2
Plan is Saturday 11/12 ish to do a ride of the course, mark it out and work out what we have to do on Sunday, which will basically be timing each rider on each stage. So effectively learn how to use a stopwatch and clipboard. Not the end of the world if you can't make it but if not..
Sunday - meet at 8.30. at Go Ape. Early enough to, depending on how many people etc be allocated a spot, times to be on duty, break/lunch times etc.
Bring: yourself, enough clothing/raincoat/umbrella/speedo depending on weather. Enough to drink and snack and either money or lunch.
You'll need your bike to get around - it will be with you so safe.
I'm trying to find the original threads but seem to have disappeared - if you know anyone who showed interest give them a wake up.
Afterwards will be meat, beer etc at Ben's for anyone who wants.
I don't do smileys.

Parktools

milko9000

Postby milko9000 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 22:52 pm

on that note, I definitely am away. Which is a shame as I could do with taking my bike to bits and I'm scared, so having Ben to hold my hand would've been good.

AdamD

Postby AdamD » Wed Oct 10, 2012 09:25 am

Hey guys,

I'm just getting back into mountain biking after a long time off. I've been looking online at places to go and there are the obvious surrey hills areas. But I've also heard that there is some downhill on Wimbledon common, is this true? Or has it been destroyed?

I'm Wimbledon based, so it would be pretty handy to just have a few intro rides again to get back into it.

Also I've heard about 'track40' in Sutton, does anyone use it and is it any good?

Cheers,

Adam.

arigold

Postby arigold » Wed Oct 10, 2012 09:57 am

See you Sunday morning. Meeting point?

cooldad

Postby cooldad » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:55 pm

arigold wrote:See you Sunday morning. Meeting point?

Go Ape and we'll work it out from there.
I don't do smileys.

Parktools

Blind Danny Johnson

Postby Blind Danny Johnson » Thu Oct 11, 2012 18:13 pm

Eddie_Jordan

Postby Eddie_Jordan » Fri Oct 12, 2012 13:18 pm

Anyone in Surrey hills tmr? Would be great if someone could show some nice trails :)

cooldad

Postby cooldad » Fri Oct 12, 2012 22:16 pm

cooldad wrote:
arigold wrote:See you Sunday morning. Meeting point?

Go Ape and we'll work it out from there.

Go Ape at 11 for half an hour instruction then a ride around the course.
Sunday 8.30 to be set up and ready for the race start at 10.

Weather looking good.
I don't do smileys.

Parktools

benpinnick

Postby benpinnick » Mon Oct 15, 2012 09:03 am

Many thanks to thel33ter, cooldad & Arigold for their sterling efforts yesterday at enduro1, hopefully everyone enjoyed it, and is warmed up again today.
A Flock of Birds
+ some other bikes.

cooldad

Postby cooldad » Mon Oct 15, 2012 09:47 am

A pleasure. I particularly enjoyed the chili - my eyes watered all the way home.
I don't do smileys.

Parktools

benpinnick

Postby benpinnick » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:10 am

Heres a quick sample of the riding for the day:

A Flock of Birds
+ some other bikes.

pjd2209

Postby pjd2209 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 13:49 pm

Anyone around Swinley on Thursday?

Been a few times and always looking for new places ive missed

arigold

Postby arigold » Tue Oct 16, 2012 15:47 pm

benpinnick wrote:Many thanks to thel33ter, cooldad & Arigold for their sterling efforts yesterday at enduro1, hopefully everyone enjoyed it, and is warmed up again today.

No problems. It was quite fun and maybe I'll participate in the actual race next year

vista

Postby vista » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:10 am

Planned a 4-5 hour ride in Surrey Hills on Saturday, finishing with Telegraph Row/Road. We're (2 or 3 of us) going to do a version of the Killer Loop. (No lunch stop just a few 10 min cake breaks on the way).

Start: 10.00am
Place: Car park at the entrance to Holmbury YHA Hostel (Radnor Lane, Dorking, RH5 6NW)

deadkenny

Postby deadkenny » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:05 pm

Not a true killer but did a little Peaslake to Leith (Summer Lightning end) and back via cheeky route at the weekend. Screwed my leg a bit crashing on the left "gnarly root" branch at end of Telegraph (done it hundreds of times and never crashed before. Blame it on being tired, one run too many).

Bigest killer loop I've done round there was Dorking->Ranmore->Peaslake->Pitch->Holmbury->Leith->Dorking

But some day for insanity, maybe I'll do Dorking->Box->Mickleham->Norbury->Ranmore->Peaslake->Winterfold->Pitch->Holmbury->Leith->Dorking. And maybe throw in Redlands as well! :D (though it's a mess and most trails barely rideable or was last time I went there earlier in the year).

Anyway, will see how the leg is. Slashed up nicely with Vault pins :D and it went a bit funky probably due to crud in the wounds. Bike also needs further tweaking after I smashed off the chain device. Might be up for a little muck about, not sure on the Killer Loop but depends how Killer it is, and just 10 mins for cake stop!... :shock: :D

p.s. MTBB folk have a Tunnel/Frith Hill ride on Sunday, 10am thereabouts. Might be up for that.
http://www.mtbbritain.co.uk/forum/index ... t&p=188235

vista

Postby vista » Wed Oct 17, 2012 20:54 pm

I think there's a few versions of the Killer Loop for sure but you're welcome to join us and peel off when you feel you need to. My mate has a GPS device so will be following whatever .gpx file he's got although we've done it a couple of times (first time without GPS and got horribly lost with zero fluids).

And we'll be having more than one cake stop for sure, since we're mixed fitness levels! :D

vista

Postby vista » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:02 am

Here's the route I'm planning to do.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/535711

Eddie_Jordan

Postby Eddie_Jordan » Thu Oct 18, 2012 21:42 pm

vista wrote:Planned a 4-5 hour ride in Surrey Hills on Saturday, finishing with Telegraph Row/Road. We're (2 or 3 of us) going to do a version of the Killer Loop. (No lunch stop just a few 10 min cake breaks on the way).

Start: 10.00am
Place: Car park at the entrance to Holmbury YHA Hostel (Radnor Lane, Dorking, RH5 6NW)

Will be there

Return to “MTB Rides”