Changing RS10 to a set of Carbon Cinchers - help!

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
SR7492

Changing RS10 to a set of Carbon Cinchers - help!

Postby SR7492 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:47 am

I'm a pretty novice when it comes to DIY on the bike, so the planned upgrade I'm looking to do is defo out of my depth.

I'm no TT/Triathlon/Racer - just a regular weekend rider.

As with cars, you always want to 'spec' up the ride with some extra features like sat nav/leather seats or alloys, it's not different to the bike - I love the look of long depth CC and think they would look awesome on my CAAD10.

I know, I know, I'll look like a 'tart' but to be honest, I don't care - just interested in making the bike look and ride better.

So, Q's I have is where do I start and which CC are recommend?
The one I've seen looks ace, Cole C85 or T85 (not sure what the difference is) - can anyone recommend something similiar but have the same rim depth?

The main questions are around putting these on? Now, is this a DIY job or better to give it to a experts/LBS to sort it for £20/£30?

DIY - I'm worried about taking the old wheel off, putting and aligning the new clincher etc. How do I take the cassette off, what about the skewer etc.

Would appreciate some simple answers for me to start the ball rolling.

Thanks in advance.

amaferanga

Re: Changing RS10 to a set of Carbon Cinchers - help!

Postby amaferanga » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:59 am

For general riding 85mm rim depth is too much. You'd be better with a 38mm or 50mm rim. And also, for general riding an alloy braking surface would be a good idea. Planet X do a carbon clincher with alloy braking surface and there is of course the Mavic Cosmic Carbone.

I'll let others tell you that you don't need them, etc., but since you're considering those Cole wheels then you clearly have more money than sense :wink:
More problems but still living....

SR7492

Postby SR7492 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 13:53 pm

Excellent, thanks for the advice.

I've had a look at the Mavic SL's, they are pretty good - might be tempted to go for them, especially if they have a alloy braking surface. I did read that the carbon/alloy braking shouldn't be a big problem, as long as the pads are changed when the wheels go on etc.

I just liked the Coles but hadn't made my mind up, hence why I asked for suggestions :), so thanks again for the Mavic shout.

Is it best to let a LBS fit them once I get these?

thanks!

arlowood

Postby arlowood » Tue Oct 23, 2012 14:55 pm

From what I can deduce from a quick Google the Cole C85 Lite wheelset retails at somewhere around the £1400 price.

Mein Gott!! - that's more than your CAAD 10 is worth.

They might look blingtastic but I think a modicum of common sense should prevail.

If you do have the funds then a more sensible choice might be the Shimano RS80 C50 clinchers at around the £600 mark :-

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a47512 ... =GBP&cn=gb

BTW to answer one of your questions I am surmising that the C80's are clinchers and the T80's are tubular rims - ie where the tyre is effectively a tube that is glued on to the wheel rim. - Not recommended for every day riding more the province of the pro peloton or more serious amateur racing.

Plenty of videos on YouTube dealing with wheel removel and cassette removal and replacement:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7ER02-zr54

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qgTOo1S ... re=related

No need to spend money at your LBS for this job - it's something you should get familiar with particularly the wheel removal and replacement. How are you going to tackle a puncture out on the road otherwise???

SR7492

Postby SR7492 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 15:12 pm

Thanks Arlowood, very much appreciated (thumps up)

The RS80's are very nice, comparable (and a little cheaper than the Mavic's)

This is the reason for my post, I wanted to know what options I had in terms of wheels except for the Coles, and you guys have given me 2 brilliant alternatives.

Appreciate the videos, my main concern was changing the original wheel to the CC. I've never taken off the cassette or skewers etc, so didn't want to miss the whole system up by not doing it properly.

:)

d87francis

Postby d87francis » Tue Oct 23, 2012 16:50 pm

SR7492 wrote:Thanks Arlowood, very much appreciated (thumps up)

The RS80's are very nice, comparable (and a little cheaper than the Mavic's)

This is the reason for my post, I wanted to know what options I had in terms of wheels except for the Coles, and you guys have given me 2 brilliant alternatives.

Appreciate the videos, my main concern was changing the original wheel to the CC. I've never taken off the cassette or skewers etc, so didn't want to miss the whole system up by not doing it properly.

:)

Whilst it may seem daunting, it's actually a relatively simple job and I would highly recommend doing it yourself. I was clueless when I first started out and now thoroughly enjoy servicing my bikes and general fettling. In fact my new CAAD10 105 2013 turns up next week and I already have some 60mm deep chinese carbon clinchers ready to put on it, along with a new cassette and chain.

Skewers you just pull the lever out to the side freeing the wheel and then drop the wheel out of the frame lifting the chain aside. You then unscrew the end of the skewer without the lever being careful not to lose the little springs.

You will want to order a shimano cassette tool for removing the lock ring on the cassette- either one with a handle or if you're using one without (that looks like a nut with some extra bits on the side) you can put the skewer back through the cassette tool when you have put it into the lock ring and then use a large adjustable spanner to turn it.

You will also want to order a chain whip for holding the cassette whilst you turn the cassette tool to undo the lock ring - these are just handles with a section of chain on the end to grip the cassette.

Once you've removed the cassette pay attention to where the various spacers go or find something like a cable tie to put through it to keep it in order. Now is a good chance to give the cassette a clean, I'd use a degreaser like wd40, note wd40 is too harsh a degreaser to use near a hub or a chain where it will strip the grease from inside requiring you to break down your hub and re-lubricate it, however, when the cassette is on it's own it does a great job of getting it shiny in no time!

Hubs on wheels that you order will generally come in two types one with splines for campagnolo cassettes and ones with splines for shimano/sram/most other brands, providing you have got some shimano ones you want to slide the cassette onto the hub with the same order of rings and spacers and then put the lock ring on. To tighten the lock ring you do not need the chain whip this time because of the direction the freehub runs, with tyres already on just tuck the wheel into your lap to hold it in place. Put your tool into the lock ring and place the skewer through to hold it in place if it doesn't have a handle, and then with a long spanner or handle you want to tighten it with a decent amount of force, expecting it to start clicking quite a few times. If you are using a torque wrench I think it is to 40Nm, however I don't own one and never really worry about over tightening it, but i do about under tightening it, so if in doubt give it an extra turn.

You can now remove the cassette tool and put the skewer back through with the little springs on either side, pull the chain to the side and fit the wheel back up into the frame. It is worth noting some other things though.

Firstly - the wheelset you order will likely come without rimtape and tyres and tubes. For rimtape I have always liked the velox cloth stuff 13mm is probably a good width for most carbon clinchers, however, lots of people rave about veloplugs that you just put into each spoke hole, sometimes trimming the sides of them. For inner tubes I would recommend buying long valve ones rather than the hastle of valve extenders. You can get tubes with valves up to 80mm meaning the deepest you can go with your rims is 60mm before you need extenders. Then for tyres go with what you like but don't skimp as I find they make a huge difference, I use Vittoria open paves over the winter, they are 24s and the green stripe will look great with my CAAD10 team colours. In the summer I like continental gp4000s or schwalbe ultremo dd's. I would recommend getting some decent tyre levers as well like Pedro's as I have snapped cheaper tyre levers before as some combinations of rims and tyres are tighter than others.

Secondly - I have taken the change of wheels as a good opportunity to change my cassette and chain, I have ordered a very light and well regarded KMC x10sl chain in gold that looks awesome and being relatively fit along with having a compact chainset on the CAAD10 I didn't want the 28 tooth sprocket on the cassette as I wouldn't need it, and only having a 50 large chainring I wanted an 11 tooth sprocket on the cassette. Thus I have switched my cassette for an ultegra 11-25.

Thirdly - brake pads, whether or not your new wheels have an aluminium or carbon brake track I would change the brake pads that come with the CAAD10 105. For an aluminium track I would recommend koolstop salmons and for carbon swissstop yellows, for the tektro brakes that come with the CAAD10 you want the shimano type pads not campagnolo.

Good luck with the changes, hopefully you will get the fettling bug, it's far more rewarding than letting the bike shop do it. So long as you are not over tightening something round carbon like the stem on the CAAD10 you can't really go wrong. I learn't from youtube and this forum, just watch a couple of videos explaining what you want to do and even have a computer near you so you can pause and re-watch it. And also I would check out this thread about chinese wheels- viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12776517

rozzer32

Postby rozzer32 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 17:29 pm

Why oh why would you do this????
**** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2011 *****

d87francis

Postby d87francis » Fri Oct 26, 2012 20:47 pm

My Caad10 finally turned up, here's a quick pic I took this afternoon with my Chinese wheels on it and a different handlebar.

Return to “Workshop”