Does anyone ride solo in the dark?

Got a general MTB question that doesn't fit anywhere else? Here's the place.
Briggo

Re: Does anyone ride solo in the dark?

Postby Briggo » Sun Oct 21, 2012 13:50 pm

cooldad wrote:
Briggo wrote:I love to solo in the dark.

Yeah but these guys are talking about riding not walking.

Oh, my bad!

On_What

Postby On_What » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:44 am

I do these fairly regular. I do find them pretty freaky and good lights are a real must, also like carrying spares to make sure you ain't walking home :lol:

welshkev

Postby welshkev » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:49 am

yeah now and again i ride on my own in the dark and i just do the usual of letting someone know where i am etc

i also run endomondo and the gf can log into the computer to see where i am if i'm not back when i say i will be and send out the search parties :lol:
like music? check out: www.rredracer.com

IhateDNS

Postby IhateDNS » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:30 am

I got a local loop of fields and woods often ride alone at night that way I can ride as fast or as slow as I like.
I find its badger make more noise then me panting up a grass hill and often see an Owl. I like nature and silence so solo are a win for me.

In an emergency
I have my name address & house phone number on a bit of paper in shorts pocket, As should I be unconscious how would someone be about to unlock phone to look at Contacts\ICE.
I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work!

Long Time Lurker

Postby Long Time Lurker » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:36 am

The spelling of Waggonway, makes me think that you are up here in the North-East.
Me (and occasionally a couple of mates), ride the waggonways on an evening. As already said - make sure you have decent lights and enough spares to get you home.
2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)

Carl170

Postby Carl170 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:51 am

Long Time Lurker wrote:The spelling of Waggonway, makes me think that you are up here in the North-East.
Me (and occasionally a couple of mates), ride the waggonways on an evening. As already said - make sure you have decent lights and enough spares to get you home.

Spot on! Not very far from you, I reckon!

Cheers

Carl

njee20

Postby njee20 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:16 pm

Don't do much mountain biking on my own in the dark, although I have done on many occasions, but do loads of road riding on my tod. Tend to listen to music to avoid 'the fear'!

StorckSpeed

Postby StorckSpeed » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:37 pm

I do it quite often on weekday evenings when the weather is good, (cause I don't like to go out in the dark in the pissing rain). I'd rather work out on the Turbo on those days.
Now that it gets dark around 6:30pm I've rediscovered the solitude and peacefulness of cycling in the dark..... It always takes a few nights to get into it as sometimes things can just spring out at you and freak you out, such as walkers and deer etc.
I have 2 front lights fitted on the handlebars of the bike, one a 900W magicshine and a Cateye 520 which I use as a back up in case the Magic shine fails. I also have 2 rear lights, I always have both of them switched on at all times, cause I might not notice if one failed for any reason. I like to carry a head torch too in my shirt pocket so I can easily find it. If you get a puncture in the dark you'll find it much easier to use a headtorch and work with both hands, (alternative is to grip the cateye in your teeth but after 5 mins you'll feel sick). You can buy Lights with headtorch straps but my one doesn't do that. :-(
Always carry spare tubes etc. wear as much reflective kit as possible, but this goes without saying really, and take a mobile phone as a last resort.
Happy night cycling
There's warp speed - then there's Storck Speed

billyballs

Postby billyballs » Mon Oct 22, 2012 22:37 pm

I ride the waggonways often around the Silverlink , backworth and Seaton Delaval, totally different in the dark , nice and quiet, cant beat it on your own. Cant recomend enough what other people are saying about spare lights, if you light goes dead theres no way you can ride out there in the dark as it,s completely black, best advice is use 2 lights and stay safe people.

DCR00

Postby DCR00 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 07:27 am

Relaxitscool wrote:My commute to work is about 15 miles half of which is on the trans Penine trail, now in the dark there and back. That used to really freak me out but you get used to it, and the noises just make me pedal faster!

Rob

i used to do this ^^^^ also. Come about this time of year it was dark there and dark back. Couple of scary moments, mostly with dogs running in front of the bike.

now i go out a couple of times a week in the morning for a quick blast. I have a 45 min route that is mostly through forrest and recently has been pitch black. You get the occasional scare when you think you see someone/thing. Doesnt really bother me that much. I go running in the dark all the time.

4ndyW

Postby 4ndyW » Tue Oct 23, 2012 09:20 am

Some brilliant tales :lol:

I do a 36m commute (18 each way) and prob half of that is along unlit trail, not looking forward to those rustling bushes...and squirrels!...why dont they move and not just stare at you :shock:

njee20

Postby njee20 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:09 am

Anecdotally when I lived in Bristol I used to do lots of training on the Bristol - Bath cycle path, and would frequently ride it (from Bristol city centre) at 9-10pm in the depths of winter of a multi thousand pound road bike.

Being from leafy Surrey the notion of ne'er-do-wells committing nefarious deeds never crossed my mind. With hindsight I think I'm pretty lucky I never had any problems, seem to be enough tales of folk being mugged in broad daylight!

welshkev

Postby welshkev » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:20 am

njee20 wrote:Anecdotally when I lived in Bristol I used to do lots of training on the Bristol - Bath cycle path, and would frequently ride it (from Bristol city centre) at 9-10pm in the depths of winter of a multi thousand pound road bike.

Being from leafy Surrey the notion of ne'er-do-wells committing nefarious deeds never crossed my mind. With hindsight I think I'm pretty lucky I never had any problems, seem to be enough tales of folk being mugged in broad daylight!

tell me about it, when i used to work in cardiff i used to ride the taff trail. my lights ran out one night and seeing a crackhead shooting up and a guy banging a prostitute in the dark and freaking them out as i ride past isn't the best experience :lol:
like music? check out: www.rredracer.com

cycle monster

Postby cycle monster » Tue Oct 23, 2012 21:08 pm

I decided that it would be irresponsible to ride alone in the dark, over technical terrain in an area without mobile reception a few years ago. I did precisely that and continue to do so. In daylight I fall off occasionally but have yet to do so in three years of night riding. Maybe I am a little more cautious in the dark but I think it is the focus of the beam and always looking where I am going. There are of course places that I would not go alone. The peace, quiet, chill of the night and owls all add to the experience. Riding downhill at speed through a twilight bat feeding frenzy is rather disconcerting though!

Giraffoto

Postby Giraffoto » Wed Oct 24, 2012 07:20 am

njee20 wrote:Don't do much mountain biking on my own in the dark, although I have done on many occasions, but do loads of road riding on my tod. Tend to listen to music to avoid 'the fear'!

The silence is one of the best bits - why on Earth would you ruin it for yourself? I love riding in the dark, on- or off-road, and it's usually solo off-road. Decent lights, spare batteries and a 'phone are all you need.

Also, what's 'the fear'?
Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
On-One Scandal (fully rigid)

cooldad

Postby cooldad » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:01 am

Giraffoto wrote:Also, what's 'the fear'?

Bigfoot?
I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

pessimal

Postby pessimal » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:07 am

i'm glad i'm not the only one who gets a bit spooked at night

the only thing that tends to bother me is groups of kids out, but i've had no problems so far

Cat With No Tail

Postby Cat With No Tail » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:18 am

cooldad wrote:

Bigfoot?

Jimmy Saville?

cooldad

Postby cooldad » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:01 am

Cat With No Tail wrote:
cooldad wrote:

Bigfoot?

Jimmy Saville?

That depends on how you swing.
I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

ddraver

Postby ddraver » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:39 pm

I have done a few times, but most of the places in N Wales had zero phone reception and I got scared (both the fear, but also the realisation that even the most innocuous of crashes/mechanicals could land me in serious trouble unless someone happened to be riding Penmachno/Marin that night too.

I managed to get a friend to form a "bike club" to come with me every wednesday. It helped with the days where willpower was not so strong too! We had a Police Helicopter following us one night...that was fun!

I reckon I'd ride more if there was somewhere a bit less out of the way I'd have done it more though.
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
- Blog-http://davekio.wordpress.com/

Return to “MTB General”