Road Team -riders wanted

Talk about your races - Time Trials, Road Races or Cyclocross.
giantarmy

Road Team -riders wanted

Postby giantarmy » Fri Oct 26, 2012 14:14 pm

Looking at putting together a South/South East based road team for next year, bike sponsors, kit and retail back-up already in place.
looking for E12 riders willing to ride National B races with the odd Sportive to keep sponsor happy.
If interested, please PM

DavidJB

Re: Road Team -riders wanted

Postby DavidJB » Fri Oct 26, 2012 15:03 pm

Good luck with the team!

giantarmy

Postby giantarmy » Fri Oct 26, 2012 15:49 pm

DavidJB wrote:Good luck with the team!

Thanks DJB :)

sub55

Postby sub55 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 17:58 pm

what's in it for the riders ?
constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly

giantarmy

Postby giantarmy » Fri Oct 26, 2012 22:29 pm

Depends who's asking and what you've got to offer!
If youre in it just to get what you can, then you're in the wrong sport !

NewTTer

Postby NewTTer » Sat Oct 27, 2012 05:56 am

What is the team to be called, just interested to keep an eye on how well it goes. Good luck
Last edited by NewTTer on Sat Oct 27, 2012 17:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sub55

Postby sub55 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 16:44 pm

sub55 wrote:what's in it for the riders ?

giantarmy wrote:Depends who's asking and what you've got to offer!

"got to offer!"
absolutely nothing mate. i'm well and truly retired.
have ridden for an invitation only racing team, was drafted in specifically to try and win the team award in the national champs. which sounds great but was much happier with my mates in the local club
and no i'm not in the sport just for my own self gratitude. just ask any of the riders that take part in the events i promote or the committees that i sit on.
But you got to offer the riders something to entice them onto your squad. Why should a rider advertise, promote and endorse a commercial company for no return. The worst deal i was ever offered was from a local LBS who asked me to ride for them and offered all my kit " including the bike " at cost price. Which is effectively not costing them anything. Which translates to extremely cheap advertising.
constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly

giantarmy

Postby giantarmy » Sat Oct 27, 2012 18:28 pm

sub55 wrote:

"got to offer!"
have ridden for an invitation only racing team, was drafted in specifically to try and win the team award in the national champs. which sounds great but was much happier with my mates in the local club
and no i'm not in the sport just for my own self gratitude. just ask any of the riders that take part in the events i promote or the committees that i sit on.
But you got to offer the riders something to entice them onto your squad. Why should a rider advertise, promote and endorse a commercial company for no return. The worst deal i was ever offered was from a local LBS who asked me to ride for them and offered all my kit " including the bike " at cost price. Which is effectively not costing them anything. Which translates to extremely cheap advertising.

Forgive me for thinking that you were asking first hand 'whats available'. the issue I have is that if i advertise and say that i can offer this ,that, the other, then i'm likely to get golddiggers who expect a pro deal for a chipper performance. there are quite a few 2nd cat team who get all the kit but are still struggling to get out of Cat 2- these riders are the ones i'm hoping to avoid.
To answer your original query Sub55, the team deal is likely to include:-
Top end bike fitted with SRAM red/force or Ulteghra/DA
All clothing
helmet
shoes(depending on deal)
energy products
trade price on all further purchases

This sort of deal for an amateur rider racing on E12 events as well as holding part or full-time employment is not to be sniffed at, in my opinion (been sponsored at a similar rate for the last 9 seasons as an Elite roadie)

TakeTurns

Postby TakeTurns » Sun Oct 28, 2012 01:45 am

Good luck with this, sounds great. If only an opportunity like this would come round next year.

DavidJB

Postby DavidJB » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:45 am

Free bike!

I still have to pay for mine...in the wrong team :p

disgruntledgoat

Postby disgruntledgoat » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:27 am

sub55 wrote:

"got to offer!"

This.

I was party to such an agreement for a couple of years, where my only bonus was £120 of team kit to be chosen by myself. Basically the deal was forced to buy a bike at cost if you want a ride, license refunded once you got 100pts, race entries refunded for mentions in press or top 10 placings.

It was toss and as soon as I got injured part way through season 2, they binned me.

I know a lot of young guys get blinded by any offer, but you need to think them through!

The one from the OP looks pretty good though.
"In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent

jibberjim

Postby jibberjim » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:11 pm

disgruntledgoat wrote:I was party to such an agreement for a couple of years, where my only bonus was £120 of team kit to be chosen by myself. Basically the deal was forced to buy a bike at cost if you want a ride, license refunded once you got 100pts, race entries refunded for mentions in press or top 10 placings.

Our unsponsered club is possibly giving more than that depending on how you actually perform. Full Entry fees for National Champ Events and Premier Calendars, 1500 quid shared between all riders as a proportion of their entry fees (so 15 riders each spend 300 quid on entry fees, they'd all get back 100 quid). Kit you would have to buy although there's a crash replacement policy.
Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/

Pross

Postby Pross » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:35 pm

I still have my doubts about these sorts of sponsored teams. Taking the best riders out of the club scene - I'd rather see sponsors putting their money into supporting either grassroots clubs or backing a 'proper' national level team. Still, I suppose it's better than 15 years ago where this sort of setup would be one of the biggest teams in the Premier Calendar.

SBezza

Postby SBezza » Mon Oct 29, 2012 13:19 pm

Pross wrote:I still have my doubts about these sorts of sponsored teams. Taking the best riders out of the club scene - I'd rather see sponsors putting their money into supporting either grassroots clubs or backing a 'proper' national level team. Still, I suppose it's better than 15 years ago where this sort of setup would be one of the biggest teams in the Premier Calendar.

The club scene isn't always the best deal for the rider themselves though, it depends on your ambitions really. I joined a team to do something that wasn't even remotely possible at my club. Clubs are not the best fit for all.

The team I ride for puts a hell of alot back into the sport, in fact probably more than my previous club, and a hell of alot more than alot of clubs.

hammerite

Postby hammerite » Mon Oct 29, 2012 14:41 pm

Giantarmy - good luck with the team. Do you plan on organising your own race? Or do the sponsors already organise a race?

It's not a dig along the lines of "race teams only race, don't organise or help", but I am curious.

giantarmy

Postby giantarmy » Tue Oct 30, 2012 13:59 pm

hammerite wrote:Giantarmy - good luck with the team. Do you plan on organising your own race? Or do the sponsors already organise a race?

It's not a dig along the lines of "race teams only race, don't organise or help", but I am curious.

As far as I know, they are still promoting one road ace every season. When I last rode with them, I had to sacrifice racing for a weekend to drive the Comm 1 car, which was actually a hoot!

hammerite

Postby hammerite » Tue Oct 30, 2012 14:34 pm

excellent, good to hear.

Werbo

Postby Werbo » Sat Nov 03, 2012 18:40 pm

Hi there I saw you post about the team you are setting up. I'm nowhere near ready for cat 2 racing but I'm determend to get up there soon. Is there any tips you could to help me get where I want to be? Any help would be great,
many thanks Keith

giantarmy

Postby giantarmy » Mon Nov 05, 2012 20:55 pm

Thanks Werbo.
Advice?
Train well this winter, don't overdo it in December. Train with a powermeter if you can afford it, work on your weaknesses, get a coach if you can afford it, plan to peak for one to two events a month and pick your races to suit your sort of ability :)

giantarmy

Postby giantarmy » Tue Nov 13, 2012 20:39 pm

Still after 1-2 more riders, elite/1st cat

Pm me ASAP!

Return to “Amateur Race”