BSA Goldenwings *UPDATED*

Show off your bikes here...
User avatar
declan1
Posts: 2389
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 20:51 pm
Contact:

Re: BSA Goldenwings

Postby declan1 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 20:58 pm

Thanks :) I don't think I could get much lighter with a set of £150 wheels, so I'll just stick with these for now. As you said - they look cool!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.

User avatar
nweststeyn
Posts: 1565
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 21:03 pm

Re: BSA Goldenwings

Postby nweststeyn » Sat Oct 27, 2012 21:05 pm

Totally... One pair of my Campag Sciroccos cost me £60 though so there are bargains out there! But you'd need silver ones and then de-badge them so they look vintage. If you're enjoying the ride as it is though don't worry too much :D

User avatar
Ed J
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 17:26 pm

Re: BSA Goldenwings

Postby Ed J » Sun Oct 28, 2012 18:48 pm

declan1 wrote:Thanks :) I don't think I could get much lighter with a set of £150 wheels, so I'll just stick with these for now. As you said - they look cool!


I think you definitely could! My set of aksiums I bought for £75 2nd hand are a little over 2.3kg for the set with tyres. So the front weighs 1100g with tube and tyre, so 250g just for the front wheel. That's a lot.

Edit: they're easily debadged too so would go with the bike

User avatar
declan1
Posts: 2389
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 20:51 pm
Contact:

Re: BSA Goldenwings

Postby declan1 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 18:53 pm

Ed J wrote:
declan1 wrote:Thanks :) I don't think I could get much lighter with a set of £150 wheels, so I'll just stick with these for now. As you said - they look cool!


I think you definitely could! My set of aksiums I bought for £75 2nd hand are a little over 2.3kg for the set with tyres. So the front weighs 1100g with tube and tyre, so 250g just for the front wheel. That's a lot.

Edit: they're easily debadged too so would go with the bike


Hmmm. That could be an option! What Aksiums are they exactly (I think there are a few different models)? :)

Road - Dolan Preffisio
MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.

User avatar
Ed J
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 17:26 pm

Re: BSA Goldenwings

Postby Ed J » Sun Oct 28, 2012 21:01 pm

Aksium race, silver :)

As seen here.

viewtopic.php?t=12873618&

Full price for wheels, tyres and tubes = £120 Not bad eh?

User avatar
declan1
Posts: 2389
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 20:51 pm
Contact:

Re: BSA Goldenwings

Postby declan1 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 21:17 pm

Ed J wrote:Aksium race, silver :)

As seen here.

viewtopic.php?t=12873618&

Full price for wheels, tyres and tubes = £120 Not bad eh?


Ah yes I remember that now! They would look awesome on my bike. Maybe a christmas pressie then ;)

Thanks!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.

User avatar
declan1
Posts: 2389
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 20:51 pm
Contact:

Re: BSA Goldenwings

Postby declan1 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 16:55 pm

UPDATE!

New mudguards, new (correct) saddle position, new headset and all nice and cleaned up!

Sorry about the rubbish indoor taken-with-a-phone photo - the weather is REALLY bad at the moment...

Image

Road - Dolan Preffisio
MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.

User avatar
ugo.santalucia
Posts: 18004
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:39 am

Re: BSA Goldenwings

Postby ugo.santalucia » Sun Dec 30, 2012 18:11 pm

declan1 wrote:UPDATE!

New mudguards, new (correct) saddle position, new headset and all nice and cleaned up!

Sorry about the rubbish indoor taken-with-a-phone photo - the weather is REALLY bad at the moment...

Image


The bottle holders are not getting any nicer... Chop them off

User avatar
declan1
Posts: 2389
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 20:51 pm
Contact:

Re: BSA Goldenwings

Postby declan1 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 18:35 pm

ugo.santalucia wrote:
declan1 wrote:UPDATE!

New mudguards, new (correct) saddle position, new headset and all nice and cleaned up!

Sorry about the rubbish indoor taken-with-a-phone photo - the weather is REALLY bad at the moment...

Image


The bottle holders are not getting any nicer... Chop them off


I'm in the process of getting new ones. I've just got to find some ;)

Road - Dolan Preffisio
MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.

User avatar
declan1
Posts: 2389
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 20:51 pm
Contact:

Re: BSA Goldenwings *UPDATED*

Postby declan1 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 00:36 am

My new shoes arrived today! Got some 105 pedals for Christmas, and the Mavic Avenge shoes arrived this afternoon - what a difference from MTB shoes/pedals!!!

Image

Image

Road - Dolan Preffisio
MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.

User avatar
NapoleonD
Posts: 18121
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 19:51 pm

Re: BSA Goldenwings *UPDATED*

Postby NapoleonD » Tue Jan 01, 2013 01:05 am

Bockle cages are horrid :(
Twitter - @NapD
Strava - Dense Voigt

User avatar
lotus49
Posts: 737
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:52 am

Re: BSA Goldenwings *UPDATED*

Postby lotus49 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 20:16 pm

I really think it's a lovely bike but put your bidon in your jersey and ditch the cages altogether.

I'm not a huge fan of mudguards but they do serve a practical purpose and at least you can take them off when it stops raining all the time. Since you live in the Highlands you might get a couple of dry weeks in July if you're lucky :wink:

User avatar
declan1
Posts: 2389
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 20:51 pm
Contact:

Re: BSA Goldenwings *UPDATED*

Postby declan1 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 20:21 pm

lotus49 wrote:I really think it's a lovely bike but put your bidon in your jersey and ditch the cages altogether.

I'm not a huge fan of mudguards but they do serve a practical purpose and at least you can take them off when it stops raining all the time. Since you live in the Highlands you might get a couple of dry weeks in July if you're lucky :wink:


A couple of weeks? You must be joking... :lol:

I did try with the bottles in my jersey but it just didn't work :( I am intending to get some proper bottle cage mounts eventually ;)

Road - Dolan Preffisio
MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.

User avatar
lotus49
Posts: 737
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:52 am

Re: BSA Goldenwings *UPDATED*

Postby lotus49 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:51 am

declan1 wrote:A couple of weeks? You must be joking... :lol:


Before we had children my wife and I used to go up to the Highlands at least once a year to go hill walking. We usually went in late June when the days are incredibly long (the sun was still shining well after 22:00 and it started to get light at about 03:00) and mostly, the weather was lovely.

The last year we went was when my oldest son was three months old. My wife didn't think it was a good idea but I persuaded her. We stayed in a cottage on the shore of Loch Alsh for two weeks and it absolutely chucked it down almost all the time we were there. I was in the doghouse and sadly, we have never been back.

Despite the weather, I absolutely love the Highlands, particularly North Sutherland, Skye and the area around Beinn Eighe. Now my children are older and capable of walking a fair distance, I'll probably dare to raise the idea of going back. My wife may have forgiven me by now (it was 14 years ago) :D.

User avatar
declan1
Posts: 2389
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 20:51 pm
Contact:

Re: BSA Goldenwings *UPDATED*

Postby declan1 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 15:42 pm

lotus49 wrote:
declan1 wrote:A couple of weeks? You must be joking... :lol:


Before we had children my wife and I used to go up to the Highlands at least once a year to go hill walking. We usually went in late June when the days are incredibly long (the sun was still shining well after 22:00 and it started to get light at about 03:00) and mostly, the weather was lovely.

The last year we went was when my oldest son was three months old. My wife didn't think it was a good idea but I persuaded her. We stayed in a cottage on the shore of Loch Alsh for two weeks and it absolutely chucked it down almost all the time we were there. I was in the doghouse and sadly, we have never been back.

Despite the weather, I absolutely love the Highlands, particularly North Sutherland, Skye and the area around Beinn Eighe. Now my children are older and capable of walking a fair distance, I'll probably dare to raise the idea of going back. My wife may have forgiven me by now (it was 14 years ago) :D.


Somehow the summer days never seem to be as long as they used to be. Maybe it's just the rubbish weather not letting any sun through :(

We had amazing weather in April (of all months) last year, but May/June/July were just horrible.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.

User avatar
Raffles
Posts: 973
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 21:08 pm

Re: BSA Goldenwings *UPDATED*

Postby Raffles » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:55 am

Dec im interested as to how you are getting on with your move to spd-sl pedals and shoes .

Ive always used spd`s , the m520 type and I recently bought a set of 105 5700 spd-sl pedals and dhb r1.0 road shoes. For me it was an absolute disaster :oops: and I absolutely hated them. I found the having to tip the pedal down before entry an absolute chore, if the group stopped on a hill I couldnt get back into the pedal when we start moving again, if there is any dampness or moisture on the pedal surface they were hellish to get into and the grip on the shoe is so tight id hate to have to stop in a hurry. I couldnt get rid of them quick enough and I bought a set of dhb m1.0 spd shoes which are just great , when i put my spd pedals back on my caad and went riding it felt like I had come home.

So the spd-sl pedals and shoes were catastrophic for me, how have you been finding them ?
2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105

User avatar
declan1
Posts: 2389
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 20:51 pm
Contact:

Re: BSA Goldenwings *UPDATED*

Postby declan1 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:58 am

I've found them awesome. They are as you said a bit of a pain sometimes to clip in, but once attached I can really feel the better power transfer (although that may also be the new shoes).

Sorry to hear they didn't work out for you! :(

Road - Dolan Preffisio
MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.


Return to “Your Road Bikes”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests