Setting up Planet X Ultra light brakes

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
stevenb

Setting up Planet X Ultra light brakes

Postby stevenb » Sat Oct 27, 2012 14:50 pm

My Planet X bike has come fitted with their own brand Ultra light forged calipers.
Not the easiest to set up.
I have tried loosening the pivot bolt repositioning tightening the pivot bolt grub screws. Adjusting the position, cable guide screw and spring screw and yet they still don't set up properly.
I am left with one caliper arm moving more than the other , a rubbing pad that when braking keeps pushing the wheel inwards rather than equally meeting the rim with the opposing pad.
I've never had this issue before with Campag, SRAM or Shimano brakes before.

Anyone got these who can share some pointers......

Thanks

Steve

JustinLeeAtkinson

Re: Setting up Planet X Ultra light brakes

Postby JustinLeeAtkinson » Sat Oct 27, 2012 15:51 pm

The reason you are having issues with these brakes is because they are single pivot brakes, the other brakes were most likely dual pivot unless they were very old models.

The Planet X are single pivot to save weight. They are harder to set up, but not impossible, just persevere. With mine I tighten them firmly to the frame, then starting with the cable fairly loose gradually tighten it until the pads are as close to the rims as you want without rubbing. I find that as long as the brakes are tightened firmly to the frame they will remain in position when removing and replacing the wheels.

stevenb

Postby stevenb » Sat Oct 27, 2012 16:25 pm

I used to have KCNC single pivot brakes....I should have mentioned that before....they were easy to set up too compared to these Planext X ones.
I'm sure I'll get there in the end.
How do you find your brakes for performance?
Debating whether to go back to dual pivot brakes for better power/ease of ownership.

LegendLust

Postby LegendLust » Sun Oct 28, 2012 17:44 pm

stevenb wrote:I used to have KCNC single pivot brakes....I should have mentioned that before....they were easy to set up too compared to these Planext X ones.
I'm sure I'll get there in the end.
How do you find your brakes for performance?
Debating whether to go back to dual pivot brakes for better power/ease of ownership.

I have the Planet X brakes and although a little more fiddly to set up I think their stopping power is as good as the dual pivots they replaced, although I must stress the PX brakes have Swiss Stop green pads fitted.

This following quote is from another Bikerader post on the same subject

Tips on fitting the calipers:
Mount the brake as centrally as possible using the main frame securing allen bolt.
The small allen key screw located in the central barrel which secures down on to the central pivot bolt is to assist in centring the caliper arms once the main securing bolt has been tightened.
There's also a small allen key grub screw on one of the caliper arms which tightens on to the main spring. Once the caliper has been centred using the main mounting bolt, the small allen grub screw can be used to 'fine-tune' the adjustment. By tightening it up, the tension on the spring will be increased and that caliper arm will move away from the rim. Loosen it off and the tension is released and the caliper arm will move towards the rim. It's very clever and kept some of us amused for hours.

stevenb

Postby stevenb » Sun Oct 28, 2012 17:48 pm

Got there in the end.
They are very fiddly for sure. Just a car of keep trying over and over...lol
As long as the stopping power is good thats the main thing.
The rear caliper retainer hex bolt isn't very good and it's rounded somehow. Looks like I'm stuck with them for now.
However, I'm sure I could remove the rear caliper with a bit of butchery. lol

Return to “Workshop”