'Punishing' companies for bad service -even if it costs you?

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
TailWindHome

'Punishing' companies for bad service -even if it costs you?

Postby TailWindHome » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:58 am

From the 'I blame Wiggle' thread

spasypaddy wrote:
Asprilla wrote:They may be the cheapest but it doesn't mean he'll use them. I never use Tredz, Shiny Bikes or Fudges as they have all screwed me about before. I'd rather pay more than give them my business.

A man after my own heart

I don't understand this.

Why financially penalise yourself to punish a company due to a previous bad experience?

It makes no sense

As DDD would say - Discuss
"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? IS THIS NOT WHY YOU ARE HERE?"

spasypaddy

Re: 'Punishing' companies for bad service -even if it costs

Postby spasypaddy » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:02 am

if people voted with their wallets then companies would start to buck their ideas up.

davis

Postby davis » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:05 am

Although I think spasypaddy's reaction has been (a lot) more extreme than mine would've been in that example, I sort of agree with the principle. If you believe the company is truly awful, the only thing you can do is refuse to give them any money. I know that 1 person can't make a real difference in isolation, but that cop-out would mean you're very unlikely to do anything that isn't directly about you.

BT won't get any of my money, for example. Assclowns.
Cisco. Gits.
Sony. Anti-consumerist scum.
Last edited by davis on Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.

rubertoe

Postby rubertoe » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:05 am

I will always go with what is cheapest, as it means more money for other things. With regards to CS, I am a glass half full sort of guy so I always expect the worst then am pleased when its not.
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

The Fuggler

Postby The Fuggler » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:05 am

It's not quite the same, but I will pay more, particularly for bigger purchases at my not-so-local bike shop because I trust them to do a good job and to help me out if I have a problem. For commodity items, I will go wherever is cheapest or convenient.
FCN 3 / 4

BelgianBeerGeek

Postby BelgianBeerGeek » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:06 am

You're entitled to take your custom where you please. Price is not always the motivating factor. I wouldn't go back to a restaurant if the service was poor, likewise with an LBS/internet service. Why would I put myself through more of the same?

Asprilla

Postby Asprilla » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:13 am

I value my time and as a result I only want to deal with companies that don't waste it.

If I attach a monetary value to the time I have to spend sorting out problems then those companies which provide poor service or do not deliver on their promises are not the 'cheapest'.

msmancunia

Postby msmancunia » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:20 am

It's not a bike thing, but I have, and will continue to pay more for non-budget flights rather than ever ever ever ever ever give Ryanair my hard earned money to fly with them again.
Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity

davis

Postby davis » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:24 am

msmancunia wrote:It's not a bike thing, but I have, and will continue to pay more for non-budget flights rather than ever ever ever ever ever give Ryanair my hard earned money to fly with them again.

+1. Ryanair are another company that I've driven further and paid more to specifically avoid.

Kieran_Burns

Postby Kieran_Burns » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:32 am

spasypaddy wrote:and so it appears that im not so weird after all

What happened to you was a one-off in your experience (I gather)

Mistakes happen and they are hopefully rectified. If a company makes a mistake then it's how they handle that is important. In this case you were refunded but you didn't get your written hug. Shame that, but they did sort out your issue.

In the case of Ryanair - they're just crap and I would rather walk the entire distance on shards of broken glass than fly with them.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

davis

Postby davis » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:34 am

From what you've said I wouldn't reacted anywhere nearly that strongly over the Wiggle late-delivery. I react to repeated awful service, not the occasional cock-up.

spasypaddy

Postby spasypaddy » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:35 am

no they didn't apologise or take my complaint seriously. thats what has annoyed me on this instance.

unlike city link who apologise profusely and will look into it further.

however wiggle aren't the only company to have felt the force of my wrath. there are a few.

daviesee

Postby daviesee » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:35 am

Nope.
And I fully endorse all the supporting posts for the reasons given.

From a cycling point of view, because I have blanked my LBS, I can now fully service my bikes and make savings that way, as well as on components.
None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.

TailWindHome

Postby TailWindHome » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:35 am

No. It just means there are a lot of you!

Take Chain Reactions for example. Last year I got caught up in the whole security breach thing. Santander blocked my current account and it took 3 months to get it sorted. A major pain in the a$$.

Now say I want to buy a new saddle (for example). CRC have the saddle for £50, best price elsewhere is £60.

Would it not be crazy for me to financially penalise myself £10 because of something which happened in the past???

I can accept that if a company has a repeated pattern of letting you down in the past and you'd rather not go through that again. I can accept that price may not be the only factor. However that's not the same as not buying off them 'on principle' or because they are in the 'big book of grudges'
"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? IS THIS NOT WHY YOU ARE HERE?"

daviesee

Postby daviesee » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:38 am

I do bear grudges.
Do me wrong once, that's your fault. For me to allow it a second time is my fault. A third time is stupid.
None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.

spasypaddy

Postby spasypaddy » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:39 am

TailWindHome wrote:I can accept that if a company has a repeated pattern of letting you down in the past and you'd rather not go through that again. I can accept that price may not be the only factor. However that's not the same as not buying off them 'on principle' or because they are in the 'big book of grudges'

But you know they've let you down before so why risk letting them let you down again?

as davisee says, once is their fault, second is your own fault.

suzyb

Postby suzyb » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:44 am

I wouldn't stop buying from somewhere after one or two bad experiences. But if it happened after that then I'd stop using them and pay more if I had to.

I'm more likely to not go back to a bricks and mortar shop if I feel the service has been poor my first visit, like staff more interested in their social life than serving you :evil:

I fly very very rarely but would also avoid Ryanair. From what I've heard about them they seem to be taking the wee-wee now with additional charges.

MrChuck

Postby MrChuck » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:44 am

Depends on exactly what's happened. I'm generally an everybody-makes-mistakes kind of guy so I don't boycott companies at the first hiccup but if there's a pattern or they've been particularly obnoxious they can end up on the list.

That said if you took that approach too far you'd have nobody left to deal with-none of them are perfect.

UndercoverElephant

Postby UndercoverElephant » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:57 am

I've only ever flown Ryanair once, but I was actually pleasantly surprised, given the amount of negative comments. Certainly the passengers who went looking for a fight got one, but those of us who were polite got excellent service.

My Granny once got a bad piece of fish from the chip shop at the top of her road, and refused to go back. 20 years later she still always went to the one at the bottom of her road, despite the other one having changed hands several times. Some hold grudges, some don't, I guess.

Return to “Commuting Chat”