30ft Effigy of Lance Armstrong to be burnt

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
TakeTurns

30ft Effigy of Lance Armstrong to be burnt

Postby TakeTurns » Thu Nov 01, 2012 01:18 am

Sad thing is these people don't know diddly squat about cycling...those shorts do not look like lycra.

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/oddballs/916546-lance-armstrong-to-be-burned-by-edenbridge-bonfire-society

upperoilcan

Re: 30ft Effigy of Lance Armstrong to be burnt

Postby upperoilcan » Thu Nov 01, 2012 07:19 am

Fact remains he has been exposed as a drug taking/dealing cheat and you do not need to know much about cycling to see that...

An why use an effigy ????? :D
Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.

lotus49

Postby lotus49 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 07:30 am

I would guess by your comments that you aren't familiar with the Edenbridge Bonfire Society.

Every year they pick a figure who has been in the news and burn an effigy instead of burning an effigy of Guy Fawkes. This isn't some sort of protest, it's just a bit of fun. They do it every year and have done for as long as I can remember. They don't pretend to have any specific knowledge of the subject matter and it's not something you should take at all seriously.

Let's face it, whatever you think of LA, he deserves a bit of opprobium for what he has done.

meesterbond

Postby meesterbond » Thu Nov 01, 2012 07:55 am

Complete with Jim'll Fix It badge... a nice touch

winter zombie

Postby winter zombie » Thu Nov 01, 2012 08:15 am

lance has raised over 500 million for cancer research and got 1000's of people over the years to start biking. not only that he has helped others who has or had cancer as a role model.

nweststeyn

Postby nweststeyn » Thu Nov 01, 2012 08:25 am

winter zombie wrote:lance has raised over 500 million for cancer research

No he hasn't.

pdstsp

Postby pdstsp » Thu Nov 01, 2012 08:43 am

winter zombie wrote:lance has raised over 500 million for cancer research and got 1000's of people over the years to start biking. not only that he has helped others who has or had cancer as a role model.

You do know it's an effigy they are burning don't you. Lance will still be able to do his fundraising afterwards. :D

ojo

Postby ojo » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:31 am

winter zombie wrote:lance has raised over 500 million for cancer research and got 1000's of people over the years to start biking. not only that he has helped others who has or had cancer as a role model.

He is also a junkie on a bike. :D

andy_wrx

Postby andy_wrx » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:02 pm

I wish I lived closer, I'd love to see that b*st*rd burn

ricky1980

Postby ricky1980 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 13:28 pm

i find this satire quite funny!

imagine if him and Jimmy actually caught up with each other...hmm...it might be millions of children being abused instead of thousands (claimed)
Road - Cannondale CAAD 8 - 7.8kg
Road - Chinese Carbon Diablo - 6.4kg

SHADOWMATE

Postby SHADOWMATE » Thu Nov 01, 2012 19:36 pm

I don't really get all the hate for him. Yes he's a drugs cheat and his name will be mud from now on. He's had everything taken from him and has fought with cancer. He has also inspired thousands and raised a fark ton of money for cancer charities. Some would say Karma states a score draw? Divs burning an effigy of him. Exactly zero frigs shall be given. Probably even by the man himself. Burning an effigy of Jim, that will fix it!

lotus49

Postby lotus49 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 19:51 pm

SHADOWMATE wrote:I don't really get all the hate for him. Yes he's a drugs cheat and his name will be mud from now on. He's had everything taken from him and has fought with cancer. He has also inspired thousands and raised a fark ton of money for cancer charities. Some would say Karma states a score draw? Divs burning an effigy of him. Exactly zero frigs shall be given. Probably even by the man himself. Burning an effigy of Jim, that will fix it!

Perhaps I can enlighten you.

He is a bully and has repeatedly threatened people (team mates, journalists and no doubt many others) with wrecking their careers etc. He also was not just someone who took drugs but drove the drug taking in the team and is a liar as well as a cheat.

I completely agree that what he did cannot be compared with what Jimmy Savile appears to have done, but LA is not a nice man. He was very far from being the only cheat but he has dragged cycling through the mud like no-one before him.

It's also worth pointing out that he has not lost everything. He is a very rich man.

Yes, he did a lot of good (but then so did Jimmy Savile) and I still admire him as a cyclist (after all he cheated against a lot of other cheats - I still consider him to be the winner of all those TdFs) but he deserves everything he is getting and then some.

stickman

Postby stickman » Thu Nov 01, 2012 20:13 pm

If they wheel out a Pat McQuaid effigy i'm there!
Bikes, saddles and stuff

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21720915@N03/
More stuff:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65587945@N00/

Gears - Obscuring the goodness of singlespeed

SHADOWMATE

Postby SHADOWMATE » Thu Nov 01, 2012 20:19 pm

Well i am enlightened then. I didnt know he was a bully and an instigator. Looks like he is a lot of things. I think there are plans to take lots of his money back too though? Plus the Cancer thing, as well as nearly losing his life did he lose a testicle? I disagree with those who suggest he has wrecked cyclings reputation in any way. No more than anyone person can wreck any sport. He's a bad guy i get that. But the pitchfork approach doesnt do it for me.

priory

Postby priory » Thu Nov 01, 2012 20:53 pm

He is also a junkie on a bike

that's a good point, he was. I wonder if any of the stars since the beginning of the tdf etc. were not.
There are photos of the air full of fluttering bits of paper at the bottom of the big climbs as the riders all took their favourite stuff to help them keep up. They used to rush into a bar , down a brandy and coffee and probably an amphetamine in the early days.

Without drug abusers what would we be missing?
there could be a very long thread in this.

Sherlock Holmes
Sigmund Freud
practically all of the romantic poets
Bruce Parry (just research of course)

better pick dead ones or it could be libellous.
raleigh oakland, peugeot PY10, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Thu Nov 01, 2012 21:09 pm

priory wrote:Without drug abusers what would we be missing?
there could be a very long thread in this.

Sherlock Holmes

Sigmund Freud
practically all of the romantic poets
Bruce Parry (just research of course)

better pick dead ones or it could be libellous.

Lol - stick with fictional ones; you should be safe enough with those!
Faster than a tent.......

lotus49

Postby lotus49 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 01:51 am

stickman wrote:If they wheel out a Pat McQuaid effigy i'm there!

Me too, he is right at the top of my list. It amazes me that someone can be that brazen - he is worse than a politician.

andy_wrx

Postby andy_wrx » Fri Nov 02, 2012 08:11 am

Once you get to that level in sports administration, you are a politician...

tenbar

Postby tenbar » Fri Nov 02, 2012 08:53 am

I wish everyone would leave Sir Jimmy alone. When I was ten he fixed it for me to milk a cow blindfolded.

winter zombie

Postby winter zombie » Fri Nov 02, 2012 19:12 pm

nweststeyn wrote:
winter zombie wrote:lance has raised over 500 million for cancer research

No he hasn't.

YES ME HAS

"The Foundation has raised over $500 million dollars and recently celebrated its 15 anniversary"
http://www.examiner.com/article/the-lan ... -sad-story

IF you had or have cancer you would have a different outlook, having to go and have kemio therapy, being sick as a dog for almost 3 weeks. your hair falling out in chunks. o and them people stare,comment,point because of the way you look.

and of course the 17 tablets a day you have to take & the 40 sips supplement protein drinks.

lets hope you never have cancer

Return to “Road General”