Silly Commuter Coffee

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
User avatar
mudcow007
Posts: 3605
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 18:06 pm

Re: Silly Commuter Coffee

Postby mudcow007 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:02 am

davis wrote:
mudcow007 wrote:boys an girls

a few weeks ago i would never had touched coffee with a poo-ey stick

but recently i was given some Nescafe Azera coffee to try

......oh hot caffeine soaked mistress, where have you been all my life!!

im guessing "proper coffee" an not instant is ever better-er


I've never tried Nescafe Azera, but I'm guessing it's rancid engine oil, like every other Nescafe product, and every other instant "coffee".

Come to the dark side. We'll still be awake...


you see i don't know whats good or bad, being a "coffee virgin"

this stuff tastes pretty good though
Keeping it classy since '83

User avatar
dhope
Posts: 6138
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 16:15 pm

Re: Silly Commuter Coffee

Postby dhope » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:13 am

mudcow007 wrote:
davis wrote:
mudcow007 wrote:boys an girls

a few weeks ago i would never had touched coffee with a poo-ey stick

but recently i was given some Nescafe Azera coffee to try

......oh hot caffeine soaked mistress, where have you been all my life!!

im guessing "proper coffee" an not instant is ever better-er


I've never tried Nescafe Azera, but I'm guessing it's rancid engine oil, like every other Nescafe product, and every other instant "coffee".

Come to the dark side. We'll still be awake...


you see i don't know whats good or bad, being a "coffee virgin"

this stuff tastes pretty good though


The Azera stuff is pretty good for instant, and pretty bad for coffee.
Canyon Inflite
Condor Tempo

User avatar
Il Principe
Posts: 10401
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 10:37 am

Re: Silly Commuter Coffee

Postby Il Principe » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:19 am

adam0bmx0 wrote:I had my favourite today which was from Flat Cap coffee Co near Scotland Yard. £9.50 for a 350g bag of Square Mile though......... I do want some to take with me when I leave London next week but is a tad steep.


Flat Cap is excellent as is the Square Mile stuff. Their Sweetshop espresso is fantastic.

User avatar
notsoblue
Posts: 5771
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 18:08 pm

Re: Silly Commuter Coffee

Postby notsoblue » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:23 am

Can anyone recommend a decent ceramic grinder?

User avatar
adam0bmx0
Posts: 244
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 22:01 pm

Re: Silly Commuter Coffee

Postby adam0bmx0 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:24 am

I've now moved back to Bristol with work. Damn I miss those Flat whites. I don't know why most cities outside of London can make a decent flat white that isn't frothy or scolding hot.

Although, Bristol isn't too bad.

Never bought coffee here before so did the old googling and revealed a few, so last weekend I tried the following.

Kino Cafe - A vegan place that got good reviews for food mostly but did have a good coffe rep too. So went and had a flat white. Milk wasn't full fat nor mirco bubbled to well but the espresso used tasted good and it was the right temperature!

Baristas - On Victoria street (Coincedently the same named street I worked at in London) just south of Bristol centre, supposed to be one of the best and it was very nice but my FW was made by a new girl, que loads of froth and not to well mirco bubbled but tasted good.

Then lastly was Boston Tea Party - had lunch here which was really good and got a nice FW which agian was good. Good selection of single origin coffee's to go for etc.

Anyone got any more recommendations for Bristol?
Last edited by adam0bmx0 on Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
notsoblue
Posts: 5771
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 18:08 pm

Re: Silly Commuter Coffee

Postby notsoblue » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:28 am

adam0bmx0 wrote:Anyone got any more recommendations for Bristol?

Not Bristol, but if you're ever in Bath, this place is excellent:
http://colonnaandsmalls.co.uk/

twist83
Posts: 537
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 15:38 pm

Re: Silly Commuter Coffee

Postby twist83 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:33 am

I second notsoblue. Great coffee in there. Both brewed and espresso based Milk drinks.

As for Bristol. I think you have found them all. Barristas is fantastic. Chap in there we spoke to is great as well. Had a good 30 minute natter on a quiet Saturday afternoon.

I have just started using James Gourmet Formula 6. Sweet baby jesus it is lovely. Just picked up a Mahlkonig Vario as well. I have been keeping my eye out for a Mazzer Super Jolly on the used market. However the other half saw the size of it in the flesh and put a Vito on it :(

I also get that Square Mile is fantastic coffee however £9.50 for 350G is a little steep when there are numerous just as good coffees for a lot less.

User avatar
adam0bmx0
Posts: 244
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 22:01 pm

Re: Silly Commuter Coffee

Postby adam0bmx0 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:35 am

notsoblue wrote:
adam0bmx0 wrote:Anyone got any more recommendations for Bristol?

Not Bristol, but if you're ever in Bath, this place is excellent:
http://colonnaandsmalls.co.uk/


Yup, the owner of Baristas who I was chatting to for a while (He cycled too) said the best coffee places in the SW are in Bath and to try that place so looks like a B 2 B ride is on this weekend!

User avatar
adam0bmx0
Posts: 244
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 22:01 pm

Re: Silly Commuter Coffee

Postby adam0bmx0 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:40 am

twist83 wrote:I also get that Square Mile is fantastic coffee however £9.50 for 350G is a little steep when there are numerous just as good coffees for a lot less.


I *think* last time I was in Flat White in Soho, they used Square Mile and they sold the bags for £7.50, I think. Can someone go and check? :mrgreen:

User avatar
Kieran_Burns
Posts: 9834
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 13:14 pm

Re: Silly Commuter Coffee

Postby Kieran_Burns » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:49 am

adam0bmx0 wrote:I've now moved back to Bristol with work. Damn I miss those Flat whites. I don't know why most cities outside of London can make a decent flat white that isn't frothy or scolding hot.

Kino Cafe - A vegan place that got good reviews for food mostly but did have a good coffe rep too. So went and had a flat white. Milk wasn't full fat nor mirco bubbled to well but the espresso used tasted good and it was the right temperature!



Given that milk isn't Vegan - I would be surprised if you DID get cows milk... probably soya milk <shudder>
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

User avatar
Mr Sworld
Posts: 670
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 00:05 am

Re: Silly Commuter Coffee

Postby Mr Sworld » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:55 am

notsoblue wrote:Can anyone recommend a decent ceramic grinder?


This one...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hario-Coffee-Mill-Ceramic-Slim/dp/B001804CLY

Great grinder!

User avatar
pangolin
Posts: 1472
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 14:06 pm

Re: Silly Commuter Coffee

Postby pangolin » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:02 pm

Or a porlex tall steel grinder. If you can find it :P Flat cap carts sometimes sell them (or notes - same company)
Genesis Croix de Fer

User avatar
pangolin
Posts: 1472
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 14:06 pm

Re: Silly Commuter Coffee

Postby pangolin » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:35 pm

Ah, this place sells the Porlex Tall and the Hairo Mini.

http://www.coffeehit.co.uk/hand-coffee-grinders/c15
Genesis Croix de Fer

User avatar
JamesB5446
Posts: 468
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 17:25 pm

Re: Silly Commuter Coffee

Postby JamesB5446 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:50 am

Kieran_Burns wrote:
adam0bmx0 wrote:I've now moved back to Bristol with work. Damn I miss those Flat whites. I don't know why most cities outside of London can make a decent flat white that isn't frothy or scolding hot.

Kino Cafe - A vegan place that got good reviews for food mostly but did have a good coffe rep too. So went and had a flat white. Milk wasn't full fat nor mirco bubbled to well but the espresso used tasted good and it was the right temperature!



Given that milk isn't Vegan - I would be surprised if you DID get cows milk... probably soya milk <shudder>

Yup. I'm vegan and I can assure you that soya milk does not work in coffee.

User avatar
notsoblue
Posts: 5771
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 18:08 pm

Re: Silly Commuter Coffee

Postby notsoblue » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:06 am

Quick question - How long do coffee beans stay fresh from the time you buy them until you grind them?

User avatar
pangolin
Posts: 1472
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 14:06 pm

Re: Silly Commuter Coffee

Postby pangolin » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:11 am

I read you can keep them about 4 weeks from roasting to grinding. Then about 1 week from grinding to using them.
Genesis Croix de Fer

User avatar
Il Principe
Posts: 10401
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 10:37 am

Re: Silly Commuter Coffee

Postby Il Principe » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:16 am

Grind as you need if you can. I store my beans in the freezer, but tend to use them up within 1 week of opening them.

User avatar
notsoblue
Posts: 5771
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 18:08 pm

Re: Silly Commuter Coffee

Postby notsoblue » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:21 am

Cool ta :)

User avatar
Graeme_S
Posts: 3097
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 17:21 pm

Re: Silly Commuter Coffee

Postby Graeme_S » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:25 am

Il Principe wrote:Grind as you need if you can. I store my beans in the freezer, but tend to use them up within 1 week of opening them.

The hasbean guy recommends NOT freezing them:

http://www.hasbean.co.uk/blogs/articles ... ffee-beans

I think his rule of thumb is the coffee's at its best within 3 or 4 weeks of roasting, but should be perfectly drinkable within about 3 months of roasting.

User avatar
Graeme_S
Posts: 3097
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 17:21 pm

Re: Silly Commuter Coffee

Postby Graeme_S » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:26 am

notsoblue wrote:Can anyone recommend a decent ceramic grinder?

I use a porlex which I got from hasbean:

http://www.hasbean.co.uk/collections/gr ... ee-grinder


Return to “Commuting Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dyrlac, rower63, SeeDee and 14 guests