..It's getting colder - Santini Fuga or Mavic Espoir Thermo?

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
CTC

..It's getting colder - Santini Fuga or Mavic Espoir Thermo?

Postby CTC » Fri Nov 02, 2012 20:48 pm

It's getting to that time again, and I need a new jacket for those 0-5 degree rides
I've narrowed it down to 2 jackets:

1. Santini Fuga Jacket for £75
http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?imgID=6895

2. Mavic Espoir Thermo for £67
http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/mavic-es ... 71818.html

I've got some Mavic stuff and Santini stuff and have been impressed by both. I tend to run a bit hot, so above 5 it's base layer, jersey and gilet, but for the colder stuff I'd like a jacket. However, I think anything too thick would probably be too much for me.
It's not going to be for commuting, so no need for Hi-Viz, just for weekend rides

Anybody got either of these? Any good or don't touch with a bargepole?

jordan_217

Re: ..It's getting colder - Santini Fuga or Mavic Espoir The

Postby jordan_217 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 07:42 am

I have two standard Espoir long sleeve jerseys and they're great. Have been wearing them with an Espoir gilet for commuting this week, the lowest temperature being around 5 degrees. No problems but when it starts to drop closer to zero degrees they'll probably not be sustantial enough. Was thinking about getting the Thermo version myself and keeping my softshell for when its really cold.

Another alternative for when it gets colder, if budget allows, is the Mavic Equip jacket. I wear this through Winter, usually just with a base layer and I'm comfortable in temps down to -5 or so. This is probably the best bit of cycling kit I've ever bought. Some nice features, great windproofing and very breathable.

Sorry cant help specifically but if the standard ones are good, especially at the current temperatures I'm sure the Thermo versions will be equally as good. I'm a big Mavic fan based on the kit I own. HTH.
“Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”

robklancs

Postby robklancs » Sat Nov 03, 2012 09:00 am

I have the espoir thermo jacket and long sleeve jersey, they are the best clothing I have ever had, I got them both in red, I won't wear them when it's wet though as I can't bear them getting really dirty.

CTC

Postby CTC » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:03 pm

I've got to admit I've been looking at the equipe jacket. I've got the Mavic HC gilet which is excellent, and the equipe looks similar. However if I could find it somewhere round the 70-80 quid mark I would get it, but the cheapest was about £100.
It does look really good though...

Return to “Road Buying Advice”