Water damaged bike would you buy one?

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
prawny

Re: Water damaged bike would you buy one?

Postby prawny » Sun Nov 04, 2012 20:13 pm

Flipping heck, some right bargains there. I'd be up for a road bike from there. Probably not a full suss mtb though, although that trek 9.6 looks tasty.
Saracen Dirttrax Disc
Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015
Voodoo Bizango - 2014

bendertherobot

Postby bendertherobot » Sun Nov 04, 2012 20:18 pm

I went out in the rain earlier. My Canyon is now fused to me like that scene in the Thing.
My blog: www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)

Crispyapp

Postby Crispyapp » Sun Nov 04, 2012 20:45 pm

coriordan wrote:I got caught out in the rain once while testing a bike.

When I came back they said it was water damaged I had to buy it

Ha what a load of shi* I' think I would have laughed at them.... How can a bike get water damaged from riding it in the rain. Next people will be saying "don't wash your bike if it gets dirty, it'll shrink" ......

These bikes should be snapped up by anyone currently looking for a off the peg machine. There a real bargain. I can't see or understand how standing water in a shop regardless of how deep it might of been could cause damage to the bikes. Scott foil ltd reduced by £7k, for that saving I think I'd chance my arm over any potential water damage with no warranty....
Look 595 ultra - F+F for sale.....
Cervelo r5
Kinesis T2 2013 winter bike
Merida Carbon 1500 flx MTB

EKIMIKE

Postby EKIMIKE » Sun Nov 04, 2012 20:54 pm

^^^ Quick! Where's the other net... :lol:

coriordan

Postby coriordan » Sun Nov 04, 2012 21:08 pm

We're gonna need a bigger boat

ricky1980

Postby ricky1980 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 21:09 pm

damn, some really good deals there. shame it's all the way up in NCL
Road - Cannondale CAAD 8 - 7.8kg
Road - Chinese Carbon Diablo - 6.4kg

loismustdie

Postby loismustdie » Sun Nov 04, 2012 21:39 pm

I'd be happy to buy a water damaged bike - unless it's spent a lot of time in deep water, it would be fine, I'd just want to be sure that the discount more than covered the cost of any replacement parts.

I'd be a lot more worried about no warranty though, I'm not a heavy or aggressive rider and I've had to claim on warranty for two high end frames that have cracked. Just make sure that you're happy the discount offsets that risk.

andyrr

Postby andyrr » Mon Nov 05, 2012 09:49 am

Just adding to the warrant issue - I'd be sorely tempted at the advertised prices - some massive reductions there and until my latest bike (£300 Trek SS) I'd never thought about that as being at all important but I recently spotted a decent sized crack near the TT/ST junction and took it to the shop. Decision made quickly that Trek would replace even though it might just be the paint - I wouldn't have been too happy had I just been told to go away it was not important as the crack was a good inch+ and could be felt with fingernail. End result was I got a complete new bike within about 3 weeks. Without warranty then I might easily have had to ride warily fearing it would fail at any time and then potentially fork out for new frame / bike.

andy_wrx

Postby andy_wrx » Tue Nov 06, 2012 23:31 pm

I wouldn't be greatly worried about the warranty issue.

The shop aren't giving you any warranty so if there's some sort of problem with bearings, cables, chain, etc caused by the flood, well you expect that don't you and that's why the prices are cheap, the shop won't sort it out for you FOC you'll have to fix it yourself or pay for them to fix it, fair enough,

If it's a frame or fork cracking type issue though, then the warranty will be from the manufacturer/importer. The shop generally takes the bike off you, sends the details to the manufacturer/importer, they then replace it
This sale will be legit, it's not a grey import or anything, so I'd expect the manufacturer/importer would deal with it as normal.

giant man

Postby giant man » Wed Nov 07, 2012 07:46 am

coriordan wrote:I got caught out in the rain once while testing a bike.

When I came back they said it was water damaged I had to buy it

lol classic :roll:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finding the right saddle is the holy grail for the cyclist, good luck, it may take some time .....

Alinshearah

Postby Alinshearah » Sat Nov 10, 2012 13:07 pm

There must have been about 2,000 people there this morning at 9am. Chainbridge road and all the industrial estate nearby were carnage. Didn't even bother getting out of the car. Just turned around and went home. Hopefully somebody somewhere picked themselves up a bargain.

pessimal

Postby pessimal » Sat Nov 10, 2012 15:00 pm

I got there about 8.30 and queued till about 12.30 to get into the shop. I reckon people at the back of the queue would still be queuing till about 2!

I got a cheap hybrid which was all I was after, so I'm happy

Return to “Road Buying Advice”