Struggling to justify the cost of a new bike

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
buttons129

Struggling to justify the cost of a new bike

Postby buttons129 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 18:30 pm

Bit of background; started cycling early this year as a means to improve finess etc. after a chat with a few bike friends I purchased a second hand Specialized Sirrus on eBay for the princely sum of £225. 6 months later, I have dropped from 16 to 14 stone and really enjoy my 45k rides.

Have even bought a cheap set of rollers. although not as fulfilling as the country lanes the rollers still keep me in shape. I also have a couple of sportives and a London to Paris planned for next year.

As i reward for my efforts, I have decided to treat myself to a new bike!

There will be many that will disagree with my choice, but i have opted for the Trek Domane series and the entry point being a carbon frame (carbon frame models start at £1500)

Having been used to my ebay bargain for so long It does shock me that I am even considering spending that much! However, a recent visit to my LBS recomends I go even further... to the £2100 4.5 model as it has a Shimano 105 throughout as opposed to Tiagra!

I am not so much worried about spending the money providing i get a bike that will be just what I need. But as a novice cyclist...
would I really notice the difference?
would I benefit from the extra cost?
should I even be considering spending that sort of money?

Any guidance or advice would be gratefully appreciated.

danowat

Re: Struggling to justify the cost of a new bike

Postby danowat » Sun Nov 04, 2012 18:34 pm

In real terms?, a dropbar bike will potentially quicker, but don't kid yourself it will turn you into a pro, because it won't, I'd be seriously impressed if someone could tell the difference between tiagra kit and 105 in a blind test, because I can't, and I have both.

Benifit in what way?, if you want an expensive bike, buy one, but as above, the performance difference between a £2K bike compared to a £1K is minimal at best

If you can afford it, why not?

buttons129

Postby buttons129 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 19:19 pm

Love the final comment...if you can afford it why not? That really is a bit of me :)

I have no illusions that the bike will dramatcally change my results. I read a great article earlier in the year regarding upgrades by an italian 'ex pro' who was running bike tours in wales. He summed it up with a quote of... "whats the point of having a 7 kilo bike and a 20 kilo belly" that did make me chuckle

I have read a ton of posts about upgrades, downgrades, triples, compacts and anything else you could imagine that needs to be considered. Im glad I never had all that info when I bought my £225 sirrus

I'm more focused on making sure that I'm not spending money where I won't really notice any difference

What about taking it down a step further from a carbon frame to an Ali frame?

BikeSwan

Postby BikeSwan » Sun Nov 04, 2012 19:26 pm

It really depends on who you are. If you get a kick out of buying expensive bikes which you can enjoy equally on the road or in the lounge then that is your thing (I'm one of those guys). As well, if you race a lot, then lighter, stiffer, more advanced bikes will benefit you more. The Domane you mentioned is a great bike. If you ever feel like you want more bike, then you can always upgrade the components, because you've got a great frame there! And as you put it . . . "If you can afford it, why not?"

fearby

Postby fearby » Sun Nov 04, 2012 20:08 pm

Look, speaking as an expert on such things - just go with it. You might get old and grey and feel you could have enjoyed your cycling more and here is the perfect way of making sure that doesn't happen.
The correct number of bikes is S-1 or N+1, as decreed by The Rules.
http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

ForumNewbie

Postby ForumNewbie » Sun Nov 04, 2012 21:18 pm

buttons129 wrote:Bit of background; started cycling early this year as a means to improve finess etc. after a chat with a few bike friends I purchased a second hand Specialized Sirrus on eBay for the princely sum of £225. 6 months later, I have dropped from 16 to 14 stone and really enjoy my 45k rides.

Have even bought a cheap set of rollers. although not as fulfilling as the country lanes the rollers still keep me in shape. I also have a couple of sportives and a London to Paris planned for next year.

As i reward for my efforts, I have decided to treat myself to a new bike!

There will be many that will disagree with my choice, but i have opted for the Trek Domane series and the entry point being a carbon frame (carbon frame models start at £1500)

Having been used to my ebay bargain for so long It does shock me that I am even considering spending that much! However, a recent visit to my LBS recomends I go even further... to the £2100 4.5 model as it has a Shimano 105 throughout as opposed to Tiagra!

I am not so much worried about spending the money providing i get a bike that will be just what I need. But as a novice cyclist...

Any guidance or advice would be gratefully appreciated.

£2,100 seems a lot for 105 throughout. I bought a carbon Cube last year with full Ultegra for only £1,500 in sale (full price £1,850). You should still be able to get a good carbon bike for under £2,000.

mallorcajeff

Postby mallorcajeff » Sun Nov 04, 2012 21:57 pm

buy what makes you want to ride more. It will be a much different ride for your current bike. If you can afford it why not? I cant belive what I have spent in the last two years. More than I have ever spent on a car but I dont pay for my cars so I offset the cost that way. If you can afford it why not? savings in the bank are worth nothing now interest wise so buy something you will enjoy. If you buy it second hand 6months old you can let someone else take the massive first lump of depreciation. Thats the way i justified a £7500 bike for £3000 to myself.

cougie

Postby cougie » Sun Nov 04, 2012 22:08 pm

You can get carbon bikes for half that price with (some) SRAM rival on.
http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBS ... _road_bike

If you wait for a sale - then they've even done Red at that price level.

Thats a big step up for you - it will be faster due to the position, and it will be different - but you may decide you don't like the position.

I'd be scaling down my spend and dipping my toe in the water rather than bombing off the diving board. But hey - if you've the money then go for it - its your hobby.

Mickyg88

Postby Mickyg88 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 22:41 pm

I bought a hybrid 18 months ago, then decided to get a road bike, went for carbon first time rather than alu then needing or wanting to upgrade, haven't regretted it for one moment, if you can afford the trek and it feels right for you, go for it. By all accounts it's a fabulous bike, don't be put off by being told you can get better group sets etc for less, get the card out tomorrow.

pkripper

Postby pkripper » Mon Nov 05, 2012 09:24 am

Buy the domane and treat yourself with the difference in price to a wheel upgrade, you'll notice that way more than a few grams in the gearing.

buttons129

Postby buttons129 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 09:43 am

Thanks for all the solid advice. Only other thing I need to nail down is the old chestnut... `Compact or triple'?'

My Sirrus is a 48/38/28 with an 11/32 on the rear. The new bike being a 50-34 and 12/30 on the rear.

The lowest gear on the Sirrus has been used on a couple of small hills (unfit at the time!). But would the change of bike type and gearing compensate for the slightly higher ratio on the compact?

pkripper

Postby pkripper » Mon Nov 05, 2012 09:58 am

go compact - to be honest, if it can't be got up in a 34 / 30 then you need feet like a gecko instead.

Grill

Postby Grill » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:14 am

The 4.5 is equipped with Ultegra w/105 brakes as opposed to Tiagra, and it also has an upgraded wheelset and carbon seatpost. Well worth the money if you ask me. The other option is to go for the 4.3 which retails at 1800 is equipped with 105 as well as the carbon post. Tiagra is fine, but really doesn't hold a candle to Ultegra or even 105 for that matter.

The 4.5 also has compact with a 105 11-28 cassette, whereas the 4 and 4.3 have the Tiagra 12-30 cassette. If you're paying 2100 for the 4.5 that's equipped as a 4.3 then you're being had. Perhaps you should research the Trek site and compare it with what your LBS is offering to make sure you're not being taken for a ride...
English Cycles V3 | Scott Plasma 3 TT | BMC TrackMachine TM01 | Ritchey Road Logic | Scott CX Team

buttons129

Postby buttons129 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:24 am

Grill
You’re correct about the 4.5 cassette etc. I was also looking at the entry carbon model (4.0) at £1500 witch is a 12/30.

The initial dilemma was the £600 difference between the entry 4.0 model at £1500 and the 4.5 at £2100.
Best compromise is possibly the 4.3 which you mentioned. I’m not sure I really like the colour of it though.

Grill

Postby Grill » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:44 am

Are you going to spend most of your time riding it or looking at it? Man up brotha, colour ain't no thang! :P
English Cycles V3 | Scott Plasma 3 TT | BMC TrackMachine TM01 | Ritchey Road Logic | Scott CX Team

pkripper

Postby pkripper » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:00 pm

buttons129 wrote:Grill
You’re correct about the 4.5 cassette etc. I was also looking at the entry carbon model (4.0) at £1500 witch is a 12/30.

The initial dilemma was the £600 difference between the entry 4.0 model at £1500 and the 4.5 at £2100.
Best compromise is possibly the 4.3 which you mentioned. I’m not sure I really like the colour of it though.

If you don't like the colour if it, it'll always play in the back of your mind. Like buying a metallic gold car - it may have been a good deal, but you'll still look like an OAP.

buttons129

Postby buttons129 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:45 pm

I think the 4.3 has a good balance of features and cost so my money will be duly directed that way. I will take Grills advice and ride it rather than look at it.

noiseboyfeetman

Postby noiseboyfeetman » Mon Nov 05, 2012 13:17 pm

pkripper wrote:If you don't like the colour if it, it'll always play in the back of your mind. Like buying a metallic gold car - it may have been a good deal, but you'll still look like an OAP.

+1

If you don't like the colour of it you'll find yourself looking at other bikes in no time. I'd agree with what some of the other posters have said for that price you could pick up something in the sales far cheaper with a better spec.

Grill

Postby Grill » Mon Nov 05, 2012 13:37 pm

noiseboyfeetman wrote:
pkripper wrote:If you don't like the colour if it, it'll always play in the back of your mind. Like buying a metallic gold car - it may have been a good deal, but you'll still look like an OAP.

+1

If you don't like the colour of it you'll find yourself looking at other bikes in no time. I'd agree with what some of the other posters have said for that price you could pick up something in the sales far cheaper with a better spec.

You're contradicting yourself. The OP has clearly stated that he wants a Domane, but you suggest he compromise the bike to get the colour. By sticking with the bike he wants, the colour will be less of an issue, especially after he starts riding it.

Could I have bought a much higher spec Canyon for the same money as my Foil? Yup. Did I want a Canyon? Nope, I wanted a Foil. Now I'm happy as Larry.

on-yer-bike

Postby on-yer-bike » Mon Nov 05, 2012 14:05 pm

Do not buy a bike that you dont not like the look of. Always spend more if you can.
Pegoretti
Colnago
Campagnolo

Return to “Road Buying Advice”