Silly commuting racing

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
tetm
Posts: 533
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 13:08 pm

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby tetm » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:28 am

Wrath Rob wrote:Morning to Andy and TETM this morning. Andy, sorry I ditched you. Once I got a draft from the back of that truck I wasn't slowing down for anything! Tom, once I went past you, I knew I had picked up a drafter. Then I could hear the clicks of you ramping up through the gears. I matched them all but the final one, as you then drew alongside and passed me :D

And did I see Mr_Ribble? Quickstep shorts in this weather? Hurty knees?


Morning Rob, not too sure I passed you - dead heat. By the time I had got up to speed away from the lights and realised a tart was on my outside it took a lot of effort to get back onto you. My lungs are so full of phlegm that there's little room for oxygen.

It's a Mr Ribble look alike I'm sure as he's slow(er) and riding a Look. Sure Ribble wouldn't let either of us cruise away from him the way we both must have done this morning. Plus, looking at Strava he's now a "yogger".
Last edited by tetm on Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rjsterry
Posts: 8506
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 18:26 pm

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby rjsterry » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:28 am

itboffin wrote:My current clothing combo of roubaix bib shorts and leg warmers paired with a technical base layer and softshell with filet worn between seems to be the perfect balance of thinness and warmth down to about 1c although this morning I could feel the cold just about biting.

I don't fancy another year of being wrapped up like an arctic explorer only to be drenched in sweat after the first climb then freeze to death on the descent, surely there's a thin but warm solution out there?

Assos perhaps?


There's your problem: stuffing fish down your jersey! :roll:

I don't think there is a solution beyond leaving the jacket off until you get to the top of the climb.
1997 Giant Peloton 7200 - FCN 4 (5 if it looks like rain)
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

"Be there, eat sausages, gain ultimate respect"

User avatar
Green Brompton
Posts: 969
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:30 am

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby Green Brompton » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:30 am

tetm wrote:
Wrath Rob wrote:Morning to Andy and TETM this morning. Andy, sorry I ditched you. Once I got a draft from the back of that truck I wasn't slowing down for anything! Tom, once I went past you, I knew I had picked up a drafter. Then I could hear the clicks of you ramping up through the gears. I matched them all but the final one, as you then drew alongside and passed me :D

And did I see Mr_Ribble? Quickstep shorts in this weather? Hurty knees?


Morning Rob, not too sure I passed you - dead heat. By the time I had got up to speed away from the lights and realised a tart was on my outside it took a lot of effort to get back onto you. My lungs are so full of phlegm that there's little room for oxygen.

It's a Mr Ribble look alike I'm sure as he's slow(er) and riding a Look. Sure Ribble wouldn't let either of us cruise away from him the way we both must have done this morning. Plus, looking at Strava he's now a "yogger".


Bring back Mr Ribble :(
Why? Because I'm guaranteed a seat all the way in.

Brompton SL2
Ridley Icarus SLS

User avatar
Keyser__Soze
Posts: 1973
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 09:14 am

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby Keyser__Soze » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:40 am

Green Brompton wrote:Bring back Mr Ribble :(


You missing ogling his thighs? :lol:
"Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
"Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"

User avatar
Green Brompton
Posts: 969
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:30 am

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby Green Brompton » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:46 am

Keyser__Soze wrote:
Green Brompton wrote:Bring back Mr Ribble :(


You missing ogling his thighs? :lol:


Ha ha yes! Those and his delightful whistling. :roll:
Why? Because I'm guaranteed a seat all the way in.

Brompton SL2
Ridley Icarus SLS

ShandyH
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 09:42 am

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby ShandyH » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:28 am

Rob, no worries at all. I was one lorry back until it decided to turn off. I was wheezing away like Mutley anyway - same issue as TETM.

Good to meet you. I'll keep an eye out for you in future.

Blonde Cyclist
Posts: 327
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 14:29 pm

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby Blonde Cyclist » Mon Nov 05, 2012 13:03 pm

Not strictly SCR but more a "how do you guys do it?!" question about riding fixies in rush hour traffic? I rode my track bike over to Herne Hill from Putney yesterday (I even put a front brake on) and it was hairy enough, not to mention hill starts (although I was using a track gearing) and that awkward moment when you stop at a light and then it changes but you haven't got your foot in the right position yet... I can't even think about filtering on it!

I also discovered my track saddle is an instrument of torture (but the bike is lovely) - back to SCR tomorrow when I've recovered hopefully!
Nice weather bike: Fondriest TF2 (white/ black)
Training Bike: Giant Avail (white/ blue/ green)
Track bikes: Planet X Franko Bianco (white) and 7VRN (white/ black)
CX: Kinesis Pro6 (sick green)

User avatar
dhope
Posts: 6131
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 16:15 pm

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby dhope » Mon Nov 05, 2012 13:54 pm

Blonde Cyclist wrote:Not strictly SCR but more a "how do you guys do it?!" question about riding fixies in rush hour traffic? I rode my track bike over to Herne Hill from Putney yesterday (I even put a front brake on) and it was hairy enough, not to mention hill starts (although I was using a track gearing) and that awkward moment when you stop at a light and then it changes but you haven't got your foot in the right position yet... I can't even think about filtering on it!

I also discovered my track saddle is an instrument of torture (but the bike is lovely) - back to SCR tomorrow when I've recovered hopefully!


Hill starts aren't fun, sure.
Just stop a foot or two ahead or behind the line, wherever is makes sense for your footing. Or master the front brake on, left foot down lifting the bike and turning the crank into position with right foot in one motion thing.
Canyon Inflite
Condor Tempo

jds_1981
Posts: 1479
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 22:47 pm

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby jds_1981 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 14:07 pm

Blonde Cyclist wrote:Not strictly SCR but more a "how do you guys do it?!"

I also discovered my track saddle is an instrument of torture (but the bike is lovely) - back to SCR tomorrow when I've recovered hopefully!

It's not meant to be easy or fun. :P

With track gearing you probably weren't even able to do the 'trying to look relaxed at 140rpm'?
FCN 9 || FCN 5

User avatar
dhope
Posts: 6131
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 16:15 pm

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby dhope » Mon Nov 05, 2012 15:04 pm

jds_1981 wrote:
Blonde Cyclist wrote:Not strictly SCR but more a "how do you guys do it?!"

I also discovered my track saddle is an instrument of torture (but the bike is lovely) - back to SCR tomorrow when I've recovered hopefully!

It's not meant to be easy or fun. :P

With track gearing you probably weren't even able to do the 'trying to look relaxed at 140rpm'?

With track gearing you'd be doing about 50mph at 140rpm :D
Canyon Inflite
Condor Tempo

User avatar
Green Brompton
Posts: 969
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:30 am

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby Green Brompton » Mon Nov 05, 2012 19:14 pm

Evening Pitchshifter. Thanks for reminding me I need to put some extra hours in if I even stand a chance of keeping up. Wasn't impressed that the guy you scalped on QR didn't bat an eyelid as you flew past, I passed and he hit the drops and got on my tail.Bah.
Why? Because I'm guaranteed a seat all the way in.

Brompton SL2
Ridley Icarus SLS

User avatar
itboffin
Posts: 16614
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 23:54 pm
Contact:

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby itboffin » Mon Nov 05, 2012 20:59 pm

Jacket off before the first climb I'd freeze to death.
Rule #5 // Harden The fark Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Paul E
Posts: 2038
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 17:26 pm

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby Paul E » Mon Nov 05, 2012 21:40 pm

What is getting cold, is it your arms if your chest is covered with a gilet. Going to be a cold one first thing in the morning.
bartman100 wrote:The OP is a troll = moron
The OP actually believes this = moron

okgo
Posts: 3707
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 14:13 pm
Contact:

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby okgo » Tue Nov 06, 2012 09:50 am

Some berk was about to come into the bike lane on NKR and take me and another out just to let a ******* scooter filter, I tapped on his window as I went past and made the signal that he should move over (and I mean tapped, not hit) he went MENTAL out the window hahahah! F'ing this' f'ing that, what is wrong with these people?
Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com

User avatar
willy b
Posts: 4091
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 20:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby willy b » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:09 am

That was cold. Frost on the ground too, regretted wearing my autumn gloves, i'll be digging the winter gloves out now.

User avatar
Keyser__Soze
Posts: 1973
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 09:14 am

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby Keyser__Soze » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:14 am

Was just about okay in my 'autumn' gloves, which are actually long-fingered Assos summer gloves. Little cold in my little fingers at first but the sun came out and warmed me up. Didn't want to have to wear my TNF soft-shell winter gloves as I sweat buckets in them even around the freezing point and it's supposed to get up to 9C this eve. May try to find an inner-glove or over-glove to help with layering and the difference in temperature between morning and evening rides.
"Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"

"Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"

User avatar
rjsterry
Posts: 8506
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 18:26 pm

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby rjsterry » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:39 am

itboffin wrote:Jacket off before the first climb I'd freeze to death.


Can you not start zipped up, unzip for the climb, then zip back up for the descent? Also, are you wearing a wool base layer? Wool still keeps you warm, when it's wet (sweaty), while synthetic fibres will lose their insulative properties.

Or just grit your teeth for the first couple of miles, select a low gear and spin like a loon to generate some heat.

Was just above freezing when I set off this morning - heavy frost on garden, but thankfully no ice (that I spotted) on the roads. DHB Pace bib tights, BaaBaa base layer, and roubaix l/s jersey kept me warm enough, with heavy winter gloves and neoprene overshoes for the extremities.
Last edited by rjsterry on Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
1997 Giant Peloton 7200 - FCN 4 (5 if it looks like rain)
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

"Be there, eat sausages, gain ultimate respect"

User avatar
Wrath Rob
Posts: 2757
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 21:53 pm

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby Wrath Rob » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:41 am

I think I may have to revise my views on my Gore Phantom. It was chuffing freezing today and it still felt slightly too warm. This was with a Helly Hansen merino base layer and Gore WindStopper tights. I think I need to go to a thinner base layer and see if that works.
FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.

okgo
Posts: 3707
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 14:13 pm
Contact:

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby okgo » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:27 pm

What you also have to remember about when dressing for the commute that most of you that live in the burbs (or the sticks in my case) will find that its probably a good 4 degree's colder than it is in central, so really you can get away with wearing very little and only feeling cold for a bit till you get amongst actual London.

I just wear a merino base and a cheap zip up Autumn jersey with some normal bib tights, I've never needed anymore than that for commuting really.

And Rob, does it really matter for commuting? You are riding 8 miles, its over in 25 mins, wouldn't be bothered about being too hot over that distance, its far better than being freezing.
Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com

User avatar
Asprilla
Posts: 6965
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 15:31 pm

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby Asprilla » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:33 pm

okgo wrote:What you also have to remember about when dressing for the commute that most of you that live in the burbs (or the sticks in my case) will find that its probably a good 4 degree's colder than it is in central, so really you can get away with wearing very little and only feeling cold for a bit till you get amongst actual London.

I just wear a merino base and a cheap zip up Autumn jersey with some normal bib tights, I've never needed anymore than that for commuting really.


I've currently got 2/3 of my commute before I arrive at Roehampton gate go I dress for the colder part rather than the warmer part. It does mean things get a little sweaty starting up Priory Lane.


Return to “Commuting Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests