My new Canyon CF SLX

Show off your bikes here...
bickers

My new Canyon CF SLX

Postby bickers » Sun Nov 04, 2012 16:23 pm

Forgive the wang pedals im awaiting the new ones :)

...now to ruin it by putting Crud Road Racers on it and riding it through the winter :)

turnerjohn

Re: My new Canyon CF SLX

Postby turnerjohn » Sun Nov 04, 2012 16:54 pm

if your riding through the winter I hope to god you got some training wheels :lol:

looks top....shame to get it all dirty !

ShutUpLegs

Postby ShutUpLegs » Sun Nov 04, 2012 17:09 pm

Lovely, may be worth getting black bartape and saddle for the next few months
I Like Black Bikes

notlongnow

Postby notlongnow » Sun Nov 04, 2012 19:43 pm

The Cruds will blend in nicely with your colour scheme Lovely bike btw :)

Paul 8v

Postby Paul 8v » Sun Nov 04, 2012 19:45 pm

Starting to get really tempted by these Canyons, really good spec for the money and they do them with Campag! Did you use the sizing software on their website or have you had a ride of another one to get the size?

mallorcajeff

Postby mallorcajeff » Sun Nov 04, 2012 21:48 pm

beautiful and lovely wheels as said before get some ksyriums for winter (or fulcrums in your case)
really want one as my next bike. enjoy that you will.

Gazzetta67

Postby Gazzetta67 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 22:33 pm

I hope to god your kidding about putting mudguards on this bike.....What is up with some of you people ! havent you heard of a winter bike. Once the salt starts hitting the road there is NO WAY you should be out on your best bike. The salt gets in ALL places. You spend £2k plus on your good bike for as little as £500 you could get a winter hack.

lef

Postby lef » Sun Nov 04, 2012 23:13 pm

Gazzetta67 wrote:I hope to god your kidding about putting mudguards on this bike.....What is up with some of you people ! havent you heard of a winter bike. Once the salt starts hitting the road there is NO WAY you should be out on your best bike. The salt gets in ALL places. You spend £2k plus on your good bike for as little as £500 you could get a winter hack.

Bikes are there to be ridden, get over it.

Galatzo

Postby Galatzo » Mon Nov 05, 2012 01:54 am

lef wrote:
Gazzetta67 wrote:I hope to god your kidding about putting mudguards on this bike.....What is up with some of you people ! havent you heard of a winter bike. Once the salt starts hitting the road there is NO WAY you should be out on your best bike. The salt gets in ALL places. You spend £2k plus on your good bike for as little as £500 you could get a winter hack.

Bikes are there to be ridden, get over it.

Then you can have another :lol:
25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.

bickers

Postby bickers » Mon Nov 05, 2012 07:03 am

Had the winter use discussion on another thread already which revealed similar marmite like opinions.

Basically I have no choice and no real desire to own a "winter bike". I have no room for another bike, my two bikes live in the cupboard under the stairs the other bike being an mtb. The thought of spending another £500 to not use my expensive bike doesn't make sense to me. I am unlikely to cover epic distances on salty roads over the winter and I will be picking my rides fairly carefully. I will probably pick up some cheap wheels given the cost of these ones and the rim surface.

If its a total sh**fest out on the road then out come the MTB.

bickers

Postby bickers » Mon Nov 05, 2012 08:30 am

Paul 8v wrote:Starting to get really tempted by these Canyons, really good spec for the money and they do them with Campag! Did you use the sizing software on their website or have you had a ride of another one to get the size?

I did use it but it only said "get the 58" which was what i was going to order anyway. You can rely on the 30 day return if you get the sizing wrong.

Not got the set up right yet but the bars felt narrow on the first ride but i'll do a few more rides first see if its just the geometry/ride tricking me, its a fair bit different to the Trek 2.1 this replaces so might need to get used to it! Im 6ft 2in with longish arms and the frame feels pretty much spot on although i can only compare to my old bike and the Madone 4.9 i tried. This feels totally different and not just in size, its much more nimble especially out of the saddle so a fair amount of adjustment for me to make.

fatboyonabike

Postby fatboyonabike » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:13 pm

Paul V8 - I am 6ft and ordered a 56. with an inside leg of only 31 I think I could have ordered a 54 and still be happy with the sizing. Canyon allow you to specify the stem length and also exchange it for a shorter or longer model within the first 30 days. I have always said that it depends what you want to achieve. Racing - maybe the 54 would have been a better option due to shorter wheelbase and more rigid frame. Sportive - The bigger frame is more comfortable and very stable going downhill.

I have ridden a few bikes over the last three year and don't believe that you can match it for the money. Although it doesn't complete on overall looks with some super frames.

Paul 8v

Postby Paul 8v » Mon Nov 05, 2012 13:55 pm

Cool, sounds like a pretty good service that you can swap the stems etc.

PS as people are talking about it above, does the salt really melt carbon or is this some urban cycling myth thing?

bickers

Postby bickers » Mon Nov 05, 2012 14:25 pm

Its metal it will wear/corrode - particularly the chain and cogs and if its really wet it will get in your bearings on hubs etc. Just need to choose your rides a bit more carefully and maintain more frequently.

Or ride a mountain bike :)

Paul 8v

Postby Paul 8v » Mon Nov 05, 2012 17:15 pm

Oh yeah I know about the metals, I just mean this thing about carbon melting!

EKIMIKE

Postby EKIMIKE » Mon Nov 05, 2012 17:56 pm

Disclaimer: I'm not an engineer! Not even an armchair one!

Not sure precisely whether it would 'melt' and i should imagine the conditions for such an eventuality would involve full submersion, for an extended period of time, concentrated salt solution and bare carbon fibres. Even then i can't imagine it would melt inasmuch as to become a liquid. I'm not an engineer though. I do have a friend who is a composites engineer and the only time he's expressed concern about carbon degrading is with powerful degreasers - the kind that would dissolve the protective clear-coat in any case. I think UV light is a bigger fear hence the need for a protective clear coat.

In the context of bikes and salt off the roads - it simply wouldn't happen. It's a non-issue. Myth.

Can you imagine, if it was an issue, it would be all over the internet by now...

Slowandsteady

Postby Slowandsteady » Mon Nov 05, 2012 18:08 pm

Lovely looking bike.

I was going to order the same but I was slightly put off because I have never seen one in the flesh; so to speak.

The wheels look like a good bit of kit.

I've ended up ordering a 2013 Wilier Cento Uno sr. Not nearly as well spec'd but hopefully a pretty good bike.

Paul 8v

Postby Paul 8v » Mon Nov 05, 2012 18:52 pm

EKIMIKE wrote:Disclaimer: I'm not an engineer! Not even an armchair one!

Not sure precisely whether it would 'melt' and i should imagine the conditions for such an eventuality would involve full submersion, for an extended period of time, concentrated salt solution and bare carbon fibres. Even then i can't imagine it would melt inasmuch as to become a liquid. I'm not an engineer though. I do have a friend who is a composites engineer and the only time he's expressed concern about carbon degrading is with powerful degreasers - the kind that would dissolve the protective clear-coat in any case. I think UV light is a bigger fear hence the need for a protective clear coat.

In the context of bikes and salt off the roads - it simply wouldn't happen. It's a non-issue. Myth.

Can you imagine, if it was an issue, it would be all over the internet by now...

Thanks, it's something I've seen loads of people put on here, must be an in joke :mrgreen:

EKIMIKE

Postby EKIMIKE » Mon Nov 05, 2012 20:38 pm

Oh, it's no joke. This is part of the elaborate 'in' double bluff. If you ride carbon, it will melt. It's just a matter of time...

Paul 8v

Postby Paul 8v » Mon Nov 05, 2012 21:18 pm

EKIMIKE wrote:Oh, it's no joke. This is part of the elaborate 'in' double bluff. If you ride carbon, it will melt. It's just a matter of time...

Bad times :mrgreen:

Return to “Your Road Bikes”