Waterproof jackets

Discuss the eternal "Which fork/bike/tyres should I buy?" questions.
marcaudsley

Waterproof jackets

Postby marcaudsley » Mon Nov 05, 2012 19:28 pm

Ok guys
Would like some feedback on waterproof jackets your using?
I have a budget of around £100? and need something totally waterproof, breathable and durable. Not bothered too much about packability as will use this as my main jacket.
Have looked at the Altura Mayhem (like the green colour!) but not sure if its totally waterproof.
Look forward to your views
Cheers

DanDax1990

Re: Waterproof jackets

Postby DanDax1990 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 00:04 am

Altura Night Vision EVO?
Last edited by DanDax1990 on Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Rookie

Postby The Rookie » Tue Nov 06, 2012 07:57 am

marcaudsley wrote:Ok guys
I have a budget of around £100? and need something totally waterproof, breathable and durable.

Sorry to say there is no such thing as breathable and totally waterproof, though many come close.

Occasionally you can get D2B at TK Maxx for circa £40, great jacket and at that price just about unbeatable, you need to be lucky though!

Thelonegroover

Postby Thelonegroover » Tue Nov 06, 2012 08:28 am

I agree with The Beginner, the more waterproof a jacket is, then the less breathable it will be.
Anything with a ptfe type membrane will be less breathable than a soft shell with a good dwr treatment.
Unless you go out in heavy continuous rain I think you’re better off with a good soft shell, like Arc’teryx Gamma.
Genesis Core 30 green - the naughties
Giant Trance X2 - the teens
Genesis High Latitude 2x10 - the future (Until 650b came along!)

101_North

Postby 101_North » Tue Nov 06, 2012 09:46 am

For around 45 quid and for this time of year and into winter I can't fault my Endura Gridlock. Great fit, waterproof and with pit vents for when it gets hot. Not particularly breathable but I'm happy with the performance for the price. I suspect it'll last a fair while too as it seems very well made.

lostboysaint

Postby lostboysaint » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:12 am

DHB Sync, very waterproof, very crash resistant (don't ask!) and moderately breathable. Also doubles as a good casual waterproof jacket.
Trail fun - Transition Bandit
Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur
Allround - Cotic Solaris

sofaboy73

Postby sofaboy73 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:24 pm

depends what your looking for. Personally i prefer really light weight shells to provided the rain / wind proofing rather than for warmth, so i can just put it on top of what ever soft shell / jersey i've opted for in relation to the temperature if that makes sense?

I've got one of these:
http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/montane_mens ... s__jacket/

and can't rate it highly enough in terms of breathability versus waterproof / windproofness it the best i've tried on teh bike. also packs down real small so i just leave it in miy riding pack all year round

i've got a variety of other gore-tex, e vent and other jackets i use for walking / climbing etc and just find them too hot to ride in due to their 2 or 3 layers construction and that they can't shift the sweat qucik enough, so you end up getting damp due to the condensation inside the jacket. sayinng that i do sweat like a geordie in amaths test when on the bike

Return to “MTB Buying Advice”