Borisbikers - are they 'cyclists'?

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
Ben6899

Re: Borisbikers - are they 'cyclists'?

Postby Ben6899 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:47 am

JamesB5446 wrote:
Headhuunter wrote:I understand what the OP means though... When someone says "cyclist" to me, I think of someone more or less in my image - keen on bikes, wouldn't ride anything cr@p/none road bike, dress in lycra, wear a helmet, ride on club rides or at the very least commute daily etc

I ride a few none road bikes and very rarely wear a helmet. In your mind does this make me not a cyclist?

I think if it does, but HH sticks with that opinion then there's no problem.

It's when we're all too quick to move people from one pool to the next - dependent on what we're discussing - that irks me.
Ben

Bikes: Starley JKS R1 | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
Islington CC: http://www.islington.cc

notsoblue

Postby notsoblue » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:12 pm

Ben6899 wrote:We can't have it both ways. We can't distance ourselves from chavs on BSOs and wobbly nodders on BBs in one breath - to say rubbish a newspaper's article about a 'cyclist' doing something stupid - and embrace anyone on a bike as a 'cyclist' in the next breath.

Its not having it both ways. Both "distancing ourselves from chavs on BSOs and wobbly nodders" and snarky newspaper articles about "cyclists" are wrong and unhelpful. I think the only way people will be treated fairly and respectfully no matter what form of transport they use is if others don't bring negative prejudice to every encounter we have with them.

We can play along with the prejudice and 'Uncle Tom' in a futile attempt to make a distinction between "Real Cyclists" and cyclists that inconvenience drivers, but it won't help anyone. I think the only way we can justify asking for better cycling infrastructure is if cycling is seen as something anybody does rather than just Cyclists.

EKE_38BPM

Postby EKE_38BPM » Tue Nov 06, 2012 13:02 pm

Headhuunter wrote:...simply because of what they have between their legs...

Its all about the genitalia with you.
FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

Headhuunter

Postby Headhuunter » Tue Nov 06, 2012 13:06 pm

JamesB5446 wrote:
Headhuunter wrote:I understand what the OP means though... When someone says "cyclist" to me, I think of someone more or less in my image - keen on bikes, wouldn't ride anything cr@p/none road bike, dress in lycra, wear a helmet, ride on club rides or at the very least commute daily etc

I ride a few none road bikes and very rarely wear a helmet. In your mind does this make me not a cyclist?

If you're going to quote me, quote my whole opinion!

".....however in reality, the word cyclist includes anyone on a bike including Boris bikers and, as someone mentioned above, some youth on a BSO talking on the phone zig zagging up the pavement... "
Do not write below this line. Office use only.

Headhuunter

Postby Headhuunter » Tue Nov 06, 2012 13:10 pm

EKE_38BPM wrote:

:wink:

So when you snogging RC?

JamesB5446

Postby JamesB5446 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 13:11 pm

Indeed. But that's not the bit I was questioning so I didn't quote it.

Headhuunter

Postby Headhuunter » Tue Nov 06, 2012 13:30 pm

JamesB5446 wrote:Indeed. But that's not the bit I was questioning so I didn't quote it.

Yes but it's all part of the same point! It's selective quoting and doesn't represent what I said or believe!

jamesco

Postby jamesco » Tue Nov 06, 2012 13:34 pm

JamesB5446 wrote:I ride a few none road bikes and very rarely wear a helmet. In your mind does this make me not a cyclist?

It does come across like you're itching for a helmet argument :?

JamesB5446

Postby JamesB5446 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 13:35 pm

Ok. It just seemed to me that you were saying "I believe A but in reality B is true too". I was just looking for clarification.

EKE_38BPM

Postby EKE_38BPM » Tue Nov 06, 2012 13:47 pm

Headhuunter wrote:
EKE_38BPM wrote:

So when you snogging RC?

The day after the video of your threesome with Anne Widdicombe and Harriet Harman is released on youtube when you announce your candidacy for the BNP with Nick Griffin doing the filming.

FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

coriordan

Postby coriordan » Tue Nov 06, 2012 13:56 pm

I suppose its like motorist/driver/road user/boy racer.

Just because someone is behind the wheel of a car you cant expect anything of them!

Headhuunter

Postby Headhuunter » Tue Nov 06, 2012 13:57 pm

EKE_38BPM wrote:
Headhuunter wrote:
EKE_38BPM wrote:

So when you snogging RC?

The day after the video of your threesome with Anne Widdicombe and Harriet Harman is released on youtube when you announce your candidacy for the BNP with Nick Griffin doing the filming.

I think I'm gunna pewk....

walkingbootweather

Postby walkingbootweather » Tue Nov 06, 2012 14:23 pm

I think there are two contrasting definitions we might use. We might describe a cyclist as anyone using a bike, which infers that the moment they get off or fall off the bike they cease to become cyclists and presumably become something else.

I prefer to use the term Cyclist to describe someone who is defined by their use of a bike. If someone in your place of work was trying to describe you to someone who didn't know you and said "he/she is the one that rides a bike to work" then I'd say you were a Cyclist even if you were sat behind a desk at the time.
Nobody told me we had a communication problem

Ben6899

Postby Ben6899 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 14:42 pm

walkingbootweather wrote:I think there are two contrasting definitions we might use. We might describe a cyclist as anyone using a bike, which infers that the moment they get off or fall off the bike they cease to become cyclists and presumably become something else.

I prefer to use the term Cyclist to describe someone who is defined by their use of a bike. If someone in your place of work was trying to describe you to someone who didn't know you and said "he/she is the one that rides a bike to work" then I'd say you were a Commuter Cyclist even if you were sat behind a desk at the time.

FTFY
Ben

Bikes: Starley JKS R1 | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
Islington CC: http://www.islington.cc

walkingbootweather

Postby walkingbootweather » Tue Nov 06, 2012 15:01 pm

Ben6899 wrote:
walkingbootweather wrote:I think there are two contrasting definitions we might use. We might describe a cyclist as anyone using a bike, which infers that the moment they get off or fall off the bike they cease to become cyclists and presumably become something else.

I prefer to use the term Cyclist to describe someone who is defined by their use of a bike. If someone in your place of work was trying to describe you to someone who didn't know you and said "he/she is the one that rides a bike to work" then I'd say you were a Commuter Cyclist even if you were sat behind a desk at the time.

FTFY

Well yes, but this was just an example, if you might consider mentioning the fact that someone rode a bike as a way of identifying them whether they were known to ride a bike for their job, as a way of getting to work, as their hobby or whatever, then to my mind they are a Cyclist.
Nobody told me we had a communication problem

BigLights

Postby BigLights » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:44 pm

I need to follow up on my OP here because I feel rather vindicated in asking the question in the first place. I got chatting to a traffic pursuit officer over the weekend (don't ask) - I mean one of the proper jobbers, not a panda car type. It transpires that THEY themselves DO differentiate between what they call 'CYCLISTS', and 'BIKERS', kin their Roadcraft (advanced police driving) training. A Cyclist is more likely to know what they're doing, know how to deal with traffic and will more likely react to blue lights properly. However, 'BIKER', ie, a Borisbiker or a fella on jeans on a ropey MTB, is much more likely to be all over the place and is assumed, in a blues & twos situation, to be a liability and therefore gets special attention when passing.

So there we are. it's official.

WGWarburton

Postby WGWarburton » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:53 pm

Hi,
If we're talking about the sort of erratic behavior that winds up other road users (eg the RLJing in the OP), then it matters not a jot what we think.
What matter is whether the people who get wound up by cyclists see them as cyclists.

I suspect many of them, do.

Cheers,
W.

The Rookie

Postby The Rookie » Tue Apr 16, 2013 14:11 pm

A risk assessment based on what they see....how is that relevant, it's a bit like if they see an old women in a Micra wobbling up the middle do they give it more room than say a BMW that pulls over decisevely to the kerb while indicating left....

You seek to defend the indefensable, and by resurrecting a long dead thread will just open yourself to more ridicule.

notsoblue

Postby notsoblue » Tue Apr 16, 2013 14:42 pm

Think about how much less damage someone wobbling about on a boris bike can do than the same person, with the same road awareness could do while driving a car. ;)

mbthegreat

Postby mbthegreat » Tue Apr 16, 2013 17:31 pm

I did my commute on a Boris Bike last night. Was shoot but also fun watching nodders desperately trying to hold my wheel...

Return to “Commuting Chat”