Silly commuting racing

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
Keyser__Soze

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby Keyser__Soze » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:33 pm

Wrath Rob wrote:I think I may have to revise my views on my Gore Phantom. It was chuffing freezing today and it still felt slightly too warm. This was with a Helly Hansen merino base layer and Gore WindStopper tights. I think I need to go to a thinner base layer and see if that works.

I find that unless it's below freezing or I'm going for a 2+ hr Z1/Z2 ride I don't need any base layer at all with my Gore Xenon SO jacket or else I melt. In hindsight I may have been better sticking with the Airjack I returned as it has a more breathable back so probably would've helped with regulating temperature a bit more.
"Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
"Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"

Paul E

Postby Paul E » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:35 pm

I over did it slightly this morning, was 1 when I left the house, had a long sleeve baselayer on a thermal LS jersey with windstopper panels at the front and my santini windstopper on top which is amazlingly breathable, the LS jersey I have found isn't so I slightly overheated.

I will ditch the jacket on the way home, I just had longish seal skinz socks on as they are good at blocking wind and my regular shoes, no cold feet, had to dig out my winter gloves though and silk liners as my hands feel it the most.
bartman100 wrote:The OP is a troll = moron
The OP actually believes this = moron

6654henry

Postby 6654henry » Tue Nov 06, 2012 13:39 pm

screenshot20121106at101519.jpg

Are these acceptable to SCR in? Will they make me faster than ATG?

Asprilla

Postby Asprilla » Tue Nov 06, 2012 13:46 pm

6654henry wrote:

They are red and therefore you'll be the fastest thing on two wheels.

cyclingprop

Postby cyclingprop » Tue Nov 06, 2012 13:49 pm

Asprilla wrote:
6654henry wrote:

They have red go faster stripe and therefore you'll be the fastest thing on two wheels.

FTFY.
What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?

okgo

Postby okgo » Tue Nov 06, 2012 13:51 pm

They would match my bike perfectly!!!!!!!!!!!!! (both bikes actually, although not my tt one) I wonder if they're wider than the normal s works ones...hhmmmmmm
Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com

Paul E

Postby Paul E » Tue Nov 06, 2012 13:53 pm

I always find spesh shoes slightly wider, I am trying to resist buying a good pair of spd ones to replace the shimano ones I am running through the winter as they are a tad narrow
bartman100 wrote:The OP is a troll = moron
The OP actually believes this = moron

6654henry

Postby 6654henry » Tue Nov 06, 2012 14:02 pm

For victory parades after a particularly fast SCR, the Spec Stumpy Shoe:

file14815.jpg

These are more appropriate i feel...

ShavedWheels

Postby ShavedWheels » Tue Nov 06, 2012 14:42 pm

There doesn't seem to be ANY SCR's going from Mitcham to Holburn via Streatham and Brixton. No competition what so ever :x

rjsterry

Postby rjsterry » Tue Nov 06, 2012 15:03 pm

ShavedWheels wrote:There doesn't seem to be ANY SCR's going from Mitcham to Holburn via Streatham and Brixton. No competition what so ever :x

That's my shorter route, but I've been taking it easy for a few days.
Tip: bear left at Figges Marsh, and head up to Tooting, then either take CS7 or better still, Garratt Lane and Wandsworth Bridge to the Embankment. Only a couple of miles extra.
1997 Giant Peloton 7200 - FCN 4 (5 if it looks like rain)
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

"Be there, eat sausages, gain ultimate respect"

ShavedWheels

Postby ShavedWheels » Tue Nov 06, 2012 15:48 pm

rjsterry wrote:
ShavedWheels wrote:There doesn't seem to be ANY SCR's going from Mitcham to Holburn via Streatham and Brixton. No competition what so ever :x

That's my shorter route, but I've been taking it easy for a few days.
Tip: bear left at Figges Marsh, and head up to Tooting, then either take CS7 or better still, Garratt Lane and Wandsworth Bridge to the Embankment. Only a couple of miles extra.

You reckon the CS7 has some SCR's with some decent gas? I may have to give this a go as my commute is getting far too boring. The KOM's from Streatham to Waterloo Bridge are safely in the bag so will give the CS7 a spin.
Cheers

dhope

Postby dhope » Tue Nov 06, 2012 16:09 pm

ShavedWheels wrote:The KOM's from Streatham to Waterloo Bridge are safely in the bag so will give the CS7 a spin.
Cheers

Strava linky? I have a few KOMs down that road that I'm not defending having moved to SE London.

ShavedWheels wrote:You reckon the CS7 has some SCR's with some decent gas? I may have to give this a go as my commute is getting far too boring.

There are certainly a few quick folk that way. Origamist should keep you honest.

If you're heading toward CS7 then carry on up over the bridge to Embankment, then along to Waterloo that way sometimes too. Much more entertaining.
Canyon Inflite
Condor Tempo

ShavedWheels

Postby ShavedWheels » Tue Nov 06, 2012 17:10 pm

dhope wrote:
ShavedWheels wrote:The KOM's from Streatham to Waterloo Bridge are safely in the bag so will give the CS7 a spin.
Cheers

Strava linky? I have a few KOMs down that road that I'm not defending having moved to SE London.

http://app.strava.com/segments/1432452

http://app.strava.com/segments/1721619

bobinski

Postby bobinski » Wed Nov 07, 2012 06:16 am

Cheek! You will have to catch up :wink:

Seriously, you seem rather fast. The faster riders on that route seem to be out before 8 or after 9 in the mornings and after 6 in the evenings. Its the older guys who seem more interested in scr, the younger riders happy to pootle or do recovery rides. I ride a white Planet X with orange handlebar tape so say hi if you see me and I will then try and keep you honest :)

willy b

Postby willy b » Wed Nov 07, 2012 09:05 am

Nice seeing you last night TETM. I was expecting a battle along Grosvenor Rd, but was pleased to see you had waited back :)

ShavedWheels

Postby ShavedWheels » Wed Nov 07, 2012 09:37 am

bobinski wrote:

Cheek! You will have to catch up :wink:

Seriously, you seem rather fast. The faster riders on that route seem to be out before 8 or after 9 in the mornings and after 6 in the evenings. Its the older guys who seem more interested in scr, the younger riders happy to pootle or do recovery rides. I ride a white Planet X with orange handlebar tape so say hi if you see me and I will then try and keep you honest :)

I leave Mitcham between 6:30/6:40 in the mornings to make sure I don't get stuck in all the chaotic traffic in Streatham and Brixton. Evenings I leave around 5:45. I will look out for you in the future. I am on a 2008 Red Spec Allez Elite.
If you ever need a tow to work/home just jump on my wheel :wink:

notsoblue

Postby notsoblue » Wed Nov 07, 2012 09:57 am

Anyone know what was up on URR last night? Traffic was crazy.

martinc

Postby martinc » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:14 am

Crisp and clear this morn. Merry tootling helped by arrival of grey Giant chap with thunderthighs and a red rucksack that's falling apart. He turns onto LKR in front of me and we proceed to alternate all the way to Smithfields.

In truth, he's a bit quicker than me but is also half my age and doing the half distance assuming he starts at LKR. :wink:
Stealth1 - Commute -Trek Domane 4.5
Stealth2 - Race - Trek ProjectOne
Stealth3 - MTB - Trek ProjectOne Fuel

Keyser__Soze

Postby Keyser__Soze » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:49 am

Morning WR, nice to chat/pootle, just glad you chose not to wear your Nonnas top today :)
"Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"

"Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"

Wrath Rob

Postby Wrath Rob » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:01 am

Keyser__Soze wrote:Morning WR, nice to chat/pootle, just glad you chose not to wear your Nonnas top today :)

And good morning (again) to you. It was indeed a pleasant way to pass the commute. Hopefully that plus a hearty breakfast means I'll have some gas in the tank for tonight's training ride.
FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.

Return to “Commuting Chat”