'Not IF i get knocked off but WHEN'

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
Bluedoggy

'Not IF i get knocked off but WHEN'

Postby Bluedoggy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 15:15 pm

Was lit up like a Christmas tree on the way home from Bath to Frome and was clipped by a van. Luckely it just brushed my clothing but a few centimeters more i recon it would have knocked me off. It really freaked me out and knocked my confidence to say the least. I've had a few close calls where huge lorries are very close to me in recent months too. I'm coming to the conclusion it's not IF i get knocked off but WHEN :(
Boardman team carbon 2013http://www.paulgreenwoodart.com

Captainlip

Re: 'Not IF i get knocked off but WHEN'

Postby Captainlip » Tue Nov 06, 2012 15:24 pm

did they stop? im worried they will hit and run.
MADONE 5.2

StorckSpeed

Postby StorckSpeed » Tue Nov 06, 2012 15:30 pm

Been clipped myself on 1 occasion years ago, cycling home into town on a 30mph stretch of dual carriageway, lorries wing mirror clipped my shoulder, just inches from my head. Really shook me up.
Reckon I used to be a kerb hugger, and since then I've moved away from the kerb into the inner tyre track. This means that people have to make a conscious decision to pass you and forces them to cross the white line. This little bit of psyche means drivers have to be more cautious before doing the maneouvre and unconsciosly give you more room......

Well that's the theory.....
Please don't let this close encounter put you off..... It's a great sport after all.
There's warp speed - then there's Storck Speed

Bluedoggy

Postby Bluedoggy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 15:37 pm

Captainlip wrote:did they stop? im worried they will hit and run.

No, the git just kept on going.

Bluedoggy

Postby Bluedoggy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 15:40 pm

StorckSpeed wrote:Been clipped myself on 1 occasion years ago, cycling home into town on a 30mph stretch of dual carriageway, lorries wing mirror clipped my shoulder, just inches from my head. Really shook me up.
Reckon I used to be a kerb hugger, and since then I've moved away from the kerb into the inner tyre track. This means that people have to make a conscious decision to pass you and forces them to cross the white line. This little bit of psyche means drivers have to be more cautious before doing the maneouvre and unconsciosly give you more room......

Please don't let this close encounter put you off..... It's a great sport after all.

I won't stop the sport, far from it. Just a little setback.
What concerns me more is not actually being clipped off the bike with a wing mirror, its the bit afterwards when a car or bus is behind and runs me over me in the road, and THAT does the damage to me.

diy

Postby diy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 15:42 pm

hit and run has always been my biggest fear on bike and motorbike. Sadly its human nature to run. it takes a brave person to stop when you have knocked someone down and injured them.

more rational, normal people will run than you think.

Peat

Postby Peat » Tue Nov 06, 2012 15:49 pm

I have recently started on the road after years on MTB's.

I have to say, 8 rides into my tenure and i have had 3 moments that have made me go 'woah!'

I would say that statistically, it's the same as riding an MTB, but the difference is that off-road, 9 times out of 10, its my own fault (too fast, too little talent) whereas on the roadie it has been because of berks in cars & vans ("must......over.....take.......bike........smaller........than.......me........regardless........of.......situation").

That doesn't sit too well with me, and i too was thinking its a matter of 'when' over 'if'.

diy

Postby diy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 15:53 pm

There is a section on my road route where I am able to pull 35+mph. It is solid white lines. Every car will overtake me Every car will cross the white line to do it. I'd actually prefer them to give me plenty of space and break the law than squeeze by inside the line.

ddraver

Postby ddraver » Tue Nov 06, 2012 16:05 pm

Out of interest diy, is it a 30mph limit too?
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
- Blog-http://davekio.wordpress.com/

diy

Postby diy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 16:10 pm

its a 50mph limit.

Captainlip

Postby Captainlip » Tue Nov 06, 2012 16:16 pm

why not fit a nice glaring light on the right hand drop bar, may make the pass wider. :lol:
MADONE 5.2

rdt

Postby rdt » Tue Nov 06, 2012 16:26 pm

Bluedoggy wrote:Was lit up like a Christmas tree on the way home from Bath to Frome and was clipped by a van. Luckely it just brushed my clothing but a few centimeters more i recon it would have knocked me off. It really freaked me out and knocked my confidence to say the least. I've had a few close calls where huge lorries are very close to me in recent months too. I'm coming to the conclusion it's not IF i get knocked off but WHEN :(

Do all the sensible stuff with making yourself visible and positioning yourself sensibly (assertively when required, to help drivers do the right thing). Plus, get some legal cover, e.g. through CTC or British Cycling membership, so you have some lawyers batting for you if you do get taken out and have to go after someone through the courts.

lotus49

Postby lotus49 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 16:47 pm

StorckSpeed wrote:Been clipped myself on 1 occasion years ago, cycling home into town on a 30mph stretch of dual carriageway, lorries wing mirror clipped my shoulder, just inches from my head. Really shook me up.

I recommend you read Cyclecraft if you haven't already done. It recommends that you move into the middle of the lane ie into the path of traffic in lots of situations (eg before left hand turns, at traffic islands etc) precisely to ensure that following drivers have to overtake properly ie only when it is safe for them to pull onto the opposite side of the road.

It is possible to get 6 hours free tuition on road cycling (based on Cyclecraft) as well. If you're interested PM me and I'll dig out the details.

Ride hard

Postby Ride hard » Tue Nov 06, 2012 16:58 pm

Sorry to hear that Bluedoggy. It's every man/woman for themselves out there unfortantely.

I've been rocking light equivalent to the surface of the sun in the past and still get idiots pulling out on me, cutting me up etc even though I'm doing 25+ mph and easily keeping pace with them in a 30mph zone. @Peat said it perfectly cars/vans/buses etc must think its a competition ("must......over.....take.......bike........smaller........than.......me........regardless........of.......situation").

Just plan dumb.

Interestingly, as its winter and we're all probably commuting in the dark to and from work I've found that the strobe (imagine an 80's rave/epiletic fit inducing fast flashing light and you've got the picture) mode on my light make cars in front take note - and low and behold - even pull over/move out slightly (depending on whether I'm on the inside or outside). I really hate doing it as the light is very annoying, but after too may close calls (and one serious coming together) its the best way to get drivers, pedestrians etc attention. I only ever put it on that mode when I get to a built up area though with lots of traffic to be considerate to other road users.

BTW people, I'm sure you already know, but kerb hugging is not the way forward. I'm always two or three feet away from the kerb, and assuming I'm a larger vehicle when approaching junctions to leave no room for error or maneouvre from Mr or Mrs impatient behind.
Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"

jonomc4

Postby jonomc4 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 17:25 pm

diy wrote:hit and run has always been my biggest fear on bike and motorbike. Sadly its human nature to run. it takes a brave person to stop when you have knocked someone down and injured them.

I was following a car into Sainsbury car park - driven slowly by some dodery old man - it was an S reg Merc in immaculate condition. As he pulled into the parking bay he obviously hit the accelerator rather than the brake and smashed into two cars opposite him - I parked up and watched him - reverse his car and move it to another part of the car park - he then got out all smartly dressed and walked off to the supermarket in a round about route.

Having had my cars scrapped by areh0les in that car park far too many times - I took his reg and the reg of the car and the two cars hit and then offered up my name and phone number and habnded it into customer services. Eventually on my way out I saw some old woman who had been hit talking to a person from the shop - I went over and gave my details again and went.

Apparently the guy came back and denied the crash despite the front of his car being all screwed up. He even refused to give his insurance details - they then explained they had the name and contact details for an independant witness - he was still denying it as he drove off.

Needless to say his insurance company was contacted by the old womans company and he now has a bill - I have given details - I hope the dishonest old sh1t gets points for leaving the scene of an accident along with the bill!

diy

Postby diy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 17:57 pm

Very bright lights reduce contrast and strobe lights disorientate, both impact a persons ability to judge speed and distance. So probably worth reconsidering ;)

When I used to teach advanced motorcyclists I road a full instructor spec Honda pan euro with high vis paint job and instructor all over it and still people would pull out in front. You cannot see someone if you are not looking for them. There is a limit to effects of high vis.

IMO - its most important to have lights/reflectors attached to moving parts as this catches the edge of the eye which is tuned to movement.

mike6

Postby mike6 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 18:58 pm

With you all the way. If you ride in, or close to the gutter, it seems to invite vehicles to squeeze past when it is not really an option.
If you ride in the nearside wheel track you are effectively "part of the traffic" and vehicles have to make room if they wish to overtake. So they seem to take more notice.

FSR_XC

Postby FSR_XC » Tue Nov 06, 2012 20:19 pm

Soemthing to cover you for 'when' it happens?

http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/roadhawk-ride.html
Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Rockhopper 03 + mods, Ribble Sportive '11

http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk

DevonClimber

Postby DevonClimber » Tue Nov 06, 2012 20:21 pm

diy wrote:hit and run has always been my biggest fear on bike and motorbike. Sadly its human nature to run. it takes a brave person to stop when you have knocked someone down and injured them.

With respect, I disagree.
It is my experience from being hit by a vehicle and working as a nurse that suggests otherwise. In my case the lorry driver pulled over to check and help me, on top of that, I have worked in A & E and Orthopedic wards, my experience with patients involved in RTA's is that the 3rd party has usually stopped and assisted where possible, even if at fault. Only ever had one hit and run.
Not a scientific study I know, but as a species we are quite good to each other on the whole, despite what the media may portray.
“If you do what always do, you'll get what you always get.”

TakeTurns

Postby TakeTurns » Tue Nov 06, 2012 21:12 pm

I've been clipped too, it was while going uphill. The road narrowed for a few meters, however the car behind still decided to overtake and clipped my handlebar with his mirror. I yelled (sudden shock) but he didn't stop. I tried to catch up but failed miserably. I set a PB on the hill though. :)

Return to “Road General”