Canyon owners beware

Got a general MTB question that doesn't fit anywhere else? Here's the place.
Huckfinn

Canyon owners beware

Postby Huckfinn » Mon Nov 05, 2012 17:18 pm

Hi all

Just got back from a brilliant weekend in Wales, managed to ride the Gap, Afan (whites Trail) and a few others in Brecon. Anyway while unloading my Canyon Nerve Xc on Saturday I noticed that the down tube protector had started to peel off along one of the edges, strange I thought no reason for it to start to peel. I left it and got on with the ride. Over the rest of the weekend it got progressively worse on both sides. Not a problem I thought I give canyon a phone and as the bike is less than 6 months old they would be able to advise, maybe supply me with a new down tube protector. I gave them a phone today and explained the problem, I was asked what cleaning method I used, I said Muck Off bike cleaner sprayed on and then wiped off instantly, I was told that was what caused the problem and it was my fault that the protector had come off. I was advised to use 'Soapy Water' as Muck Off will eat anodised paint work.

I'm not overly happy with that explanation especially as it states it is safe to use on anodised paint work, the bike has only be cleaned about 4 times as I have to take it to my parents (im not blessed with an outdoor hose) to clean it and its only 6 months old and has been used, including this weekend a total of 6 or 7 times.

I am thinking about lodging a claim for a new protector, but I would like to warn other canyon owners and use 'soapy water' instead.

Does anyone think its worth perusing a claim or just put it down to experience buy a new tube protector?

Cheers

warpcow

Re: Canyon owners beware

Postby warpcow » Mon Nov 05, 2012 17:28 pm

Huckfinn wrote:Does anyone think its worth perusing a claim or just put it down to experience buy a new tube protector?

No. Mainly because someone will be along any second and say "Yes, and please post the results", which should kind of tell you it's your fault for using a non-approved substance without checking.

Huckfinn

Postby Huckfinn » Mon Nov 05, 2012 17:34 pm

Thanks for the reply, to be honest I not going to bother with warrant claim, how ever if a product say it is safe to use you should be confident that it is. It will just be cleaned with water from now on. I should say that I cant fault the bike it is brilliant and i would still recommend it, but just don't clean it with anything but water.

Shackster

Postby Shackster » Mon Nov 05, 2012 17:36 pm

I use plain water and it's peeled a little bit. Can't say I'm overly bothered.
2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
Bianchi Road Bike

ddraver

Postby ddraver » Mon Nov 05, 2012 17:40 pm

Do you particularly need a downtube protector on anodised paintwork? Think of all the difference that 30g will make!
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
- Blog-http://davekio.wordpress.com/

cooldad

Postby cooldad » Mon Nov 05, 2012 17:53 pm

What's a down tube protector?
I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

Huckfinn

Postby Huckfinn » Mon Nov 05, 2012 17:56 pm

ddraver wrote:Do you particularly need a downtube protector on anodised paintwork? Think of all the difference that 30g will make!

yes because im a tart :lol:

supersonic
Lives Here

Postby supersonic » Mon Nov 05, 2012 17:56 pm

The problem is with Muc Off, not Canyon. I have heard of this happening before.

paul.skibum

Postby paul.skibum » Mon Nov 05, 2012 17:57 pm

cooldad wrote:What's a down tube protector?

It's what you used to call a "johnny" back in the day. I think. Anyway suffice to say it will fall off if you wash it with the wrong stuff. You don't want that.
Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.

Huckfinn

Postby Huckfinn » Mon Nov 05, 2012 18:01 pm

Is it worth speaking to Muck Off?

Cat With No Tail

Postby Cat With No Tail » Mon Nov 05, 2012 18:06 pm

supersonic wrote:The problem is with Muc Off, not Canyon. I have heard of this happening before.

Exactly. Except I don't think it's a problem with muc-off per se.

Muc-off say it's safe for anodized finish, and I'm sure it is. The problem you're having isn't with the finish though, it sounds to be with the muc-off dissolving the glue used to stick your protector on.

You're welcome to contact them, but I suspect they'll tell you to jog-on (in a nice, customer service-ey sort of way though).

Cat With No Tail

Postby Cat With No Tail » Mon Nov 05, 2012 18:07 pm

Oh, and I'll blame wiggle before Cooldad does ;)

Also, BE WARNED!

Huckfinn

Postby Huckfinn » Mon Nov 05, 2012 18:12 pm

I categorically blame wiggle...... especially for the snow on the Gap.

The paint has come off one of the letters but it could be due to abrasion from the welsh grit.

The Northern Monkey

Postby The Northern Monkey » Mon Nov 05, 2012 18:18 pm

Whats the tube protector? Is it the anodizing thats coming off or some heli tape or what?

Been using muc off on my (anodized) Torque or almost 2 years, had no issues!

Huckfinn

Postby Huckfinn » Mon Nov 05, 2012 18:29 pm

The writing down the down tube on your bike. Its some form of helitape and mine is coming off allegedly as a result of using Muck Off. Plus part of the canyon lettering has come off aswell but this could be due to abrasion

The Northern Monkey

Postby The Northern Monkey » Mon Nov 05, 2012 18:35 pm

Weird!! I'd love to get some of the writing off my Torque :lol:

lewistodd

Postby lewistodd » Mon Nov 05, 2012 19:11 pm

My protector on nerve xc has started to peel a little at the top from using Fenwicks. Its just like a big piece of heli tape. I wouldnt worry about it, just be careful when cleaning that area. If it gets too bad, buy some more tape, no big deal.

The Rookie

Postby The Rookie » Tue Nov 06, 2012 14:47 pm

So Muc-off which dissolves greasy gunge also dissolves the adhesive (greasy gunge really!) on the tape - NEWSFLASH!

I knew I had a good reason for not washing the bike too often!

Huckfinn

Postby Huckfinn » Tue Nov 06, 2012 15:42 pm

Oils isn't quite like glue, so you wouldn't expect it to affect it that greatly, especially as the cleaner doesn't contain any solvents. However lesson learned and I shall be bathing the bike tonight and Ive ordered a new tube protector. Hopefully the new one will last more than 4 washes.

compo

Postby compo » Tue Nov 06, 2012 16:01 pm

The downtube protector as you call it on mine is merely a cheap bit of heli tape. Yes it peeled off for me but its cheap so I just put some more on.

And I don't subscribe to fancy cleaning products either so just use washing up liquid and water

Return to “MTB General”