The sad realisation that your winter wardrode...

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
BigMat

Re: The sad realisation that your winter wardrode...

Postby BigMat » Tue Nov 06, 2012 13:16 pm

Not sure why you'd ever need more than 2 pairs of tights - just get the non-padded ones to wear over your shorts, when its cold you don't sweat so you can wear them sveral times, only issue is if they get wet in which case rotate with the other pair. My Planet X ones are incredibly warm and only £30 at the moment. Only really necessary below freezing, happy with shorts and knee warmers until then.

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 13:31 pm

As this is my first winter as a roadie, had to get all the gear at some point so have gone for the following;

Dhb 190gsm Long arm Merino wool base layer
Endura FS260 Pro Jetstream II Jersey
Planet-X £30 Gloves and Overshoe bundle

Dhb Vaeon Roubaix Padded Bib Tight
Dhb Winter Merino socks
Dhb Windtex skull cap

Should keep me warm. :)
Last edited by adam0bmx0 on Tue Nov 06, 2012 13:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kieranb

Postby kieranb » Tue Nov 06, 2012 13:32 pm

I use 2 pairs of unpadded tights, wear over worn out summer bib shorts (lyrca fading but padding fine). My 2 winter commuting jerseys (DeMarchi) still going strong after 10-15 years. Almost wish they would wear out sooner so I'd have a good excuse to buy new ones for a change of style and maybe product improvement. I had a pair of Assos shorts once, padding came loose and the lycra wore through uber quick.

notsoblue

Postby notsoblue » Tue Nov 06, 2012 13:40 pm

I'm looking pretty scruffy these days in my winter kit. The Gore Xenon jacket I wear has holes and tears all over it :s

I've looked for other winter jackets but can't find any that are what I want that aren't Rapha...

cyclingprop

Postby cyclingprop » Tue Nov 06, 2012 13:50 pm

BigMat wrote:Not sure why you'd ever need more than 2 pairs of tights - just get the non-padded ones to wear over your shorts, when its cold you don't sweat so you can wear them sveral times, only issue is if they get wet in which case rotate with the other pair. My Planet X ones are incredibly warm and only £30 at the moment. Only really necessary below freezing, happy with shorts and knee warmers until then.

I find I sweat regardless.
What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?

meanredspider

Postby meanredspider » Tue Nov 06, 2012 13:57 pm

notsoblue wrote:I've looked for other winter jackets but can't find any that are what I want that aren't Rapha...

Without sounding like an Assos sales rep, the Airjack is the best bit of kit I own. But it's illegal to wear Rapha in the Highlands... :wink:
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Paul E

Postby Paul E » Tue Nov 06, 2012 14:02 pm

cyclingprop wrote:
BigMat wrote:Not sure why you'd ever need more than 2 pairs of tights - just get the non-padded ones to wear over your shorts, when its cold you don't sweat so you can wear them sveral times, only issue is if they get wet in which case rotate with the other pair. My Planet X ones are incredibly warm and only £30 at the moment. Only really necessary below freezing, happy with shorts and knee warmers until then.

I find I sweat regardless.

Same here, I run hot when up and running and finding a balance is a nightmare
bartman100 wrote:The OP is a troll = moron
The OP actually believes this = moron

spasypaddy

Postby spasypaddy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 14:30 pm

i would sweat if i was cryogenic freezing. cant wear kit more than two days in a row at most. and even then i tend to wear it once and wash it.

BigMat

Postby BigMat » Tue Nov 06, 2012 15:01 pm

Fair enough sweaty ones - I guess its about getting the balance right. I find I need to change kit less enough in winter but then sometimes I will overdress and end up a big sweaty mess myself.

daviesee

Postby daviesee » Tue Nov 06, 2012 15:29 pm

meanredspider wrote:
notsoblue wrote:I've looked for other winter jackets but can't find any that are what I want that aren't Rapha...

Without sounding like an Assos sales rep, the Airjack is the best bit of kit I own. But it's illegal to wear Rapha in the Highlands... :wink:

I am going to pretend that I never read that. :wink:
I have never tried the Airjack but wouldn't dispute your road tests. The Rapha Winter Jacket is an outstanding piece of kit and suitable for a very wide range of temperatures due to a wind block layer at the front when it is cold and vents for when it warms up. Not been caught in the rain without an overlayer yet though.
None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.

meanredspider

Postby meanredspider » Tue Nov 06, 2012 15:37 pm

I don't doubt that Rapha is very good - it's just a bit too chic and urban for up here though :wink: :wink:

I have two Airjacks which I rotate from about October to April (May this year :roll: ) which I wear either on their own or with a baselayer. They are water resistant but also warm when wet. Like the Rapha, the windproof panels are on the front. They're a good close stretchy fit too.
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

The Fuggler

Postby The Fuggler » Tue Nov 06, 2012 15:47 pm

Still hankering after a Rapha soft shell, but I see that the red and grey versions are out of stock in my size and are not being restocked. Hope there are some new colours on the way as black is not ideal for this time of year
FCN 3 / 4

spasypaddy

Postby spasypaddy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 16:01 pm

id love the rapha winter jacket but:
1. i cant justify it
2. i need to replace everything not just one item
3. its so expensive

daviesee

Postby daviesee » Tue Nov 06, 2012 16:42 pm

meanredspider wrote:.........They're a good close stretchy fit too.

Which is reason enough for me not to get one. :oops: :wink:
One day, one day......
None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.

meanredspider

Postby meanredspider » Tue Nov 06, 2012 16:52 pm

daviesee wrote:
meanredspider wrote:.........They're a good close stretchy fit too.

Which is reason enough for me not to get one. :oops: :wink:
One day, one day......

Scare the sheep? :wink: :wink: :D

The Fuggler

Postby The Fuggler » Tue Nov 06, 2012 16:57 pm

The Fuggler wrote:Still hankering after a Rapha soft shell, but I see that the red and grey versions are out of stock in my size and are not being restocked. Hope there are some new colours on the way as black is not ideal for this time of year

They will be black only for the foreseeable future. Fingers crossed for the new Vulpine jackets then.
FCN 3 / 4

meanredspider

Postby meanredspider » Tue Nov 06, 2012 17:16 pm

The Fuggler wrote:
They will be black only for the foreseeable future. Fingers crossed for the new Vulpine jackets then.

*whispered voices off* "Assos, Asssssssssoooossssss....."

The Fuggler

Postby The Fuggler » Tue Nov 06, 2012 18:02 pm

meanredspider wrote:
The Fuggler wrote:

*whispered voices off* "Assos, Asssssssssoooossssss....."

:D - we shall see. Want to give the business to Nick at Vulpine if at all possible. Assos muscle man gives me the creeps...
FCN 3 / 4

meanredspider

Postby meanredspider » Tue Nov 06, 2012 18:14 pm

The Fuggler wrote:
:D - we shall see. Want to give the business to Nick at Vulpine if at all possible. Assos muscle man gives me the creeps...

Ah, but the Assos lady more than makes up for it :wink:

I don't want to start a whole debate but it does frustrate me when brands only do black. It's ok at night because I've got lights but it's at dusk and dawn (when many of us commuters are riding) I like a bit of colour. Seems odd that Rapha don't restock the colours

Paul E

Postby Paul E » Tue Nov 06, 2012 18:27 pm

I like the look of Vulpine stuff, quite a bit, not as super hero looking when off the bike
bartman100 wrote:The OP is a troll = moron
The OP actually believes this = moron

Return to “Commuting Chat”